/agdg/ - Amateur Game Development General

> Next Demo Day (Nine)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

> Next Game Jam will be...
SPACE themed. Jam starts July 14th. You can start early.
If you want to collab read this pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC

> Waifu Jam finished, go play some games!
itch.io/jam/wj2016

Previous thread: >New /agdg/ Website (Still in beta)
tools.aggydaggy.com/#

Helpful Links: alloyed.github.io/agdg-links/
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/QwcSPdnx

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxeflixel: haxeflixel.com/documentation/getting-started/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=V1jslnnpgSs
youtube.com/watch?v=HMhqnQcFhx4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflex_sight
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first for progress

I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that the cherubi hunt you down with proper animations.

The bad news is that the cherubi hunt you down in the glory of K̴̙t̟̗͓͙ẖ̡̮͖a̹̫͔̟z͍p̮̙͚͇̩͙ͅr̳̙̰o̸̪ they never ever stop i can't escape

Who wants to collab on making an original game?

K͉̬̞̰t͇͉̥͜h̸̤̤a̝̗͡z̩͙̱͔̪p̧r̤̲͔o͕̻͞ wouldn't even let me post the image

>start making a game
>get the basics working
>get sick of the game concept
>get sick of the engine
>switch
>repeat

help

I've been sculpting a dog in zbrush for 6 weeks.

Is this the definition of insanity

This happen to me so I switched to art. If you just sit down and work on it everyday even if you can't stand it you get used to it.

Force yourself to stick with a project and do it everyday even if it for an hour a day.

I DO NOT WANT TO PLAY JADE'S GAME

Depends on how shit it is

Me neither

This is the worst E3 conference of all time.

Until next year.

Holy shit thanks for posting this. It's going to male my life so much easier.
Am I missing a download on their site, or is only Particle Designer 2 available?

>That animation
Shiiit, nice. How much time does it take you to make something like that? Just curious.

Nice inventory. GUI work is hard, your progress won't go unappreciated.

stream link?

reminder that majora's mask has the most fun lighting system

This bit I did today took me about an hour, which includes all the frames in this .gif

This is a pretty easy spriting style though. Minimal shading, not alot of artistic detail.

Looks pretty useful, and apparently the "Ultimate Arena" dev was using it. Looks like it lacks documentation though.

Wouldn't that just be FTL, but with less fights and more space dysentery?

>Memory erasure
Please no, taking away information in that sort of strategy game is really nasty IMO.

Fullbright isn't a lighting system

youtube.com/watch?v=V1jslnnpgSs

Working on Stellar Jets for demo day 9, having the boss move onto screen and then look at the player ready for his attack phases.

Its pretty difficult because he has to keep his distance from the player but also get into his own position.

youtube.com/watch?v=HMhqnQcFhx4

3D Zeldas were a mistake.

>/v/ stream is showing redline.
>It's the subbed version
Stream legitimately ruined

>GHC 8.0.1 out
>DuplicateRecordFields working
That was what was stopping me from using Haskell with Vulkan, score.

Well, i got the reload working. Also added some milk bottles to shoot.
Now i need to tidy up that code a bit and then i will jump on the enemy ai and all that stuff

Dubs are shit. No exception.

Well, it looks like a dog I think.

Going to a human next lets hope it doesn't take 6 weeks.

First time posting my game here.

I'm working on 2-4 LAN multiplayer, but for now there is only local and a barebones AI.

That's a kangaroo though, you don't fool me

It's shit.

The japanese voices are so fucking garbage that not only would the worst of dubs be better, but it feels like they came after the english version.

Also
>Cowboy Bebop
>Space Dandy
>Panty and Stocking
>shit dubs
kill yourself

that's not how red dot works

Thanks for not making the red dot screenspace

>dub of anything in any language ever instead of watching in the original language

Nah, commit suicide.

>what is Berserk

>Movie known for amazing frame by frame animation
>wasting time reading subtitles instead of looking at the screen.
>Let alone the god awful jp voices

Yeah, no, the sub is garbage for redline. Kill yourself.

>thanks for making a thing wrong
why would you encourage such a thing?

this ()
the only valid excuse for watching a dub is there being no subbed version available

>wrong
Screenspace red dot is the most retarded and unintuitive shit ever though

>eschewing dubs unconditionally
Literally autistic weeaboos giving everybody else a bad name.

But what about the following:
>The direction of the english vocals fit the tone and personality of the character.
>The japanese voices are bland, generic, and boring compared to the english ones.
>The film has all the effort put into visuals, making reading subtitles inefficient for a full experience.

Are these not all valid "excuses?"

Red dot sights aren't laser sights. Right now you've got a silly mix of both.

i'm not talking about anime here buddy
dubs of any material are a travesty

No. It's like saying
>wow they censored this game
>lol who cares it's better this way

Yes, mostly because the first 2 never happen and 3 is a retarded excuse.

that's how it works in reality you dummy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflex_sight

that doesn't look like it would animate well

How does that relate to any of the example I've just given. Do you not know how to read?

>Mostly because the first 2 never happen.
Redline motherfucker.
>3 is a retarded excuse.
How so? If you spent 7 fucking years of your life drawing frame-by-frame animation and not seeing your kids and wife, wouldn't you want the audience to get the full visual experience?

>Responding to retarded weebs

>watch a few minutes of e3 out of curiosity
>its just EA bringing in about 10 black rappers who dont even play games to endorse their shit
>realize how incredibly detached I am from the mainstream games industry

help

Wer do u tink u r

It's the white rich old business men who are detached, not you.

1 is stupid. you don't get to decide what fits what. the author does.
2 is valid only if the dubs are objectively better than the original and only if you have already watched it in the original language
for 3 you should just watch it twice, the second one with no subs at all. if the visuals are so good it's worth it.

>its just EA bringing in about 10 black rappers who dont even play games to endorse their shit
Why doesn't Microsoft get JME to promote Xbox?

Autistic foreignboos of all kind, then.

>1 is stupid. you don't get to decide what fits what. the author does.
The author isn't the one who decides what's quality and what isn't, you retard. And even if that were the case, several anime creators sometimes prefer the english dubbing over the original japanese voice acting, such as the guy who made cowboy bebop.

I agree with you with 2 because that's the fucking case.

Also watching a film twice removes any sense of suspense or buildup because you already know what happens

How do I learn art?! I'm good at programming I fucking suck at drawing anything. I just wanna be able draw mediocre pixel/vector/whatever art so I can make my game.

I think for the next sculpt I'm gonna move on to retopologizing once I'm done, and maybe go the full distance and build a complete body too with a view towards starting on animation / rigging.

being of better quality != what you think "fits" a character

>implying i'm talking about foreign media

is it even possible to make game with guns feel as intense as melee weapons with rather rare forms of ranged combat

>Don't know whether to play seriously or to show off as much as possible
>Most of your shit doesn't function properly anyways

What does that even mean

Dear god they never stop the gun does nothing please send help. Warning long webm

>entire IGN stream hates this shit
>/v/ hates this shit

I think
is right

>be able draw mediocre
How indeed pajeet

Yeah, but sound direction has the compliment visual direction, and when japanese JP's voices don't compliment the facial animation of JP, then it's shit. English dub, meanwhile, almost always fits it.

Practice, study other game's art, read/watch tutorials.

id Software, Epic Games, and Croteam would like a word with you.

>click to move
why, it's so bad
clicking where to move sucks, give players a joystick, or at least lerp to the clicked position

>Practice, study other game's art, read/watch tutorials.
Where do I start though? Drawabox? Villpu? Ctrlpaint? I tried drawabox and I got nowhere.

>today on Bizarro Earth

Thanks user, GUI work has now paused because of a horrific issue though.

My inventory system breaks my save system somehow and I don't know how, so this will be my new hell for the next few days I guess.

Anyone else get really depressed watching e3?

Like there is no way in hell I can compete with these big games.

Its just a test pawn, you won't be able to move freely in-game due to the MC having a literal ball and chain attached to him. Another thing that the "real" character has is that instead of weapons magically appearing in the air you pull them out of one of your for holsters. (two on your legs and two on your back)

Also, have you ever played a game in VR? "lerping" the player is like "how to give the player simulation sickness" step 1.

Damn, I didn't know this was gonna be VR
VR is only like a tiny step above mobile games in terms of legitimate gameplay.

>amateur game development
>competition

Ain't gonna fall for that bait son, good try though.

I'm not even talking about making money. I just want people to play my games.

I don't wanna be an artist, just make mediocre art for my game.

not for long

>you can't move because it makes VR easier
:(

even making mediocre art takes some legwork. google some sprite tutorials man.

your games will have a personal element games with 100+ devs can't have. sounds corny but thats why you have to make the game you really want to make

Just do it then

What VR headset do you have?
Have you used it for anything else? Is it worth it? And what video card do you have?

Being mediocre is one of the steps toward being an artit

>make art
>not be an artist
pick one

I simplified it, you will be able to move but not freely, it will essentially be the "point and walk slowly" version that will be activated by the player picking up the ball.

I have a VIVE, I use it to game every second day or so where I game 2-4 hours in it. I have 2 shitty old radeon cards way under VR spec, still works well though with every single game I own for it. I only bought one because I wanted to dev early, I'd recommend players to wait until gen 2 unless you are swimming in money. (I however still think first gen VR was worth it, almost everyone thinking its just a "fad" are people who never tried it, or only tried it before the consumer versions).

How do I make the storming of Normandy beach fun? Like, thats what I want to make a game out of. Just that.

Maybe sell it as a VR "experience"?

what games do you play on it? Can you name a couple cause I've been interested for a while and I wouldn't mind messing around deving

Goddamn, if someone says he wanna learn scripting for gamedev but do not aspire to be a professional software engineer I would be able to help and direct them to certain resources/books/tutorials etc. I'm asking for similar advice but for art.

Are all artists shitty autists, or you people in particular?

You're never going to make it.

I just did but you didn't even read it

Look at Star Wars Battlefront 2 and copy that. 64 players and hundreds of bots capturing nodes around the map. Vehicles too.

I don't expect an indie dev to do the beaches of normandy justice though.

there is no equivalent for art. I'm sorry but you will have to spend several hours sucking at it in order to become even passable

Hover-junkers is my goto-thing. Thought it would get old quick but the fact that you are aiming on your own makes me improving in it so so tempting. Perfect example of a VR game where the VR isn't a gimmick at all. Also sunk 40 hours into fantastic contraption But here the VR is a gimmick, still such a fucking good gimmick. Windlands is also a game where VR isn't a gimmick thats good. Lastly I'd recommend call of the starseed episode 1, fucking mindblowing experience but not that long.

>Anime Grump Dev General
how about you homos tell me if I can do this in Lua:

a = {first = "thing", second = "stuff"}
b = a
print(a.first)

and get "thing" as my output?