/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

>video games

> Next Demo Day (Nine)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

> Next Game Jam (Space)
itch.io/jam/agdg-space-jam
Collab: pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/hVhvNWLw

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/buqmct0t
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Reminder that talent is just hard work.

does it look good? Ive only started to animate. im trying to go for a cartoony style.

I've noticed I make a lot of calls to pull a subsection of a 2d array in my game. I'm currently just doing it by looping through the thing and copying over the values in question. Is there some fancy trick to do it faster? I'm pulling subsections nearly 100-200 times every update loop

Free released cute 2D or 3D girl yet?

~~=Early Weekly Recap=~~
We have a total of 24 games. Twelve games have returned from previous recaps! Recap guy is on the other side of a graveyard! Don't forget to enter your game in Demo Day 9! There isn't any excuse at this point. Reply to if you want to make it in this week's recap! You have until 6ish EST.

~~=High Scores=~~
(7) [Placeholder Title]
(7) TacticalRPG
(6) Zero Quest
(4) Dark Elf
(4) Idol Comm@nder
(4) Stellar Jets
(3) God is a Cube
(3) Vampire's Bit
(3) Unnamed Pixel Platformer
(3) Vindis Saga Tactics
(2) SNEK
(2) The good book
(2) Untitled ARPG

(Score is calculated by number of recaps in a row)

~~=Feedback=~~
Think I've missed your game? Notice the scraper has made an error? Ideas or comments? Reply to this and let me know! Include your game name if it's missing.

Google has some pixel art in their logo celebrating some space thing.

Can I steal that pixel art and use it in a game? There's no way Google would sue me is there?

hands are tiny and creepy. The rest probably works.

How do you feel knowing the time wasting doing this is time you could've spent doing something productive?

can I rip off all of Catherine's mechanics and get away with it?

>pixel shit
>wanting to steal pixel shit

>what if i have no talent at hard working
That's called reality.
Some people even with hard work will never be able to do some things, but people in this thread are too stupid to accept that.

Or actually it's an American thing. They seriously think that if you don't get something it just means that you're not trying hard enough. Bunch of idiots.

>animate
>.png
[...]

>hurr I'm not lazy I'm just not talented so what's the point of trying?
You're not going to make it.

>it's all ugly
>several mixels
Why would you want to steal this? What would you even use it for?

>googixels

Guys pls. Any game related subjects you'd be interested in reading a blog post on? I need stuff to write about

whats a mixel

Except, you know, all the people that will?
Remember, most consumers aren't colossal cunts about what a game is made unlike nodev elitists like you.

Except for RPGMaker. That's got a high bias against it.

Way too miss the point you idiot. I bet you're American.

mixed pixel sizes

It's automated you dummy. You probably wasted more time typing this comment than him

AI

learn something new every day

Wait.... this is what people have been bitching about for years?

Who fucking cares you fucking nerds.

shaders

yes

Get out.

Sorry, I have no reading talent so I gave up.
I mean, no point in trying, I have no talent.

M A T H

Basically a math for retards guide on how to do anything from water physics to Ai to basic lighting.

Translating basic shit like sin/cos/tan to game applications.
Yes I need help with basic trig shit

testing some fake ass bokeh for my cutscenes.

they are just quads with texture + my special shader sauce for billboarding and for double rendering and blur

Am I the only person that honestly doesn't mind rixels? Gives me a Mode 7 vibe and I kinda dig it...

I'd say mis sized pixels can end up being a problem if large scale like in the image. It can cause a discrepancy in the art style.

I don't see how it could be if it's from the threads? Do tell me how that's accomplished if it is, cause that's pretty cool, unless it's justy semi automatic or devs inputing it themselves

dank

this
fuck off there are like a billion texts on AI. I don't want to read "FSM are good but are shitty to expand XD" for the 1000th time.

Is your main character Ryan "Goose" Gosling?

hot

rixels make me nauseous

Mode 7 had no rixels

You can rotate a sprite without introducing rixels.

no that's obviously christian bale and jake gyllenhall combined.

now THIS is gosling

Really? I could have sworn. Sorry if I'm mistaken.

*ixel posting is pretty much post-ironic by now. Besides mixels, that's the only legitimate complaint.

If you're new as fuck, don't try to be a smart-ass.

how did they get away with this?

a good soundtrack

>you fucking nerds
>agdg on Veeky Forums

non pixel perfect rixels trigger me more than anything

this should trigger me hard but I think it has so many rixels my mind has stopped caring

Trying to stir shit in generals I'm not apart of is a hobby of mine

By not catering to a place like agdg only good for memeing.

rixels are rotated pixels. It's when the pixels in the image are actually rotated so they look like diamond shaped.
Mode 7 and rotating the sprite in a native resolution will not have rixels because the pixels will still be aligned with the pixel grid, they will still be squares.

Reminder that people don't care about rixels.

>all the furnitures are perfectly aligned

this is triggering me

fuck I have to learn how to AI.

Because it actually has gameplay,though pretty shallow in my opinion. And they did a good job with atmosphere cohesion. So the wonky rixels worked in a weird way.

If HM was posted on agdg during development it would've been laughed out of this place for mixels/rixels, bad animations and retarded color choices.

This is why I don't trust agdg

Why would you ever use pixel art for sprites if you're not going to make it so the composed image is also pixel art?

It's like making a figure meticulously carving lots of different pieces and then sloppily gluing them together and painting them.

because once you reach a low enough res, it's easier to do pixel art

Because normies will see ANY pixel art as a retro old school game. Even if it has lighting, bloom, mixels, rixels, gradients, and any other shit that modern devs add to their pixel art.

Except then adding mixels, rixels etc. is actually not low-res at all.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info.

So what would be the best way to work around this if you're using low res art? Would it be to upscale everything so it's higher resolution?

>tfw you're too retarded to work out simple parallax scrolling, AND posted in the last dead thread because you missed the new thread links.

see: filename

It's pretty simple actually.
Veeky Forums's API provides a json document for each thread:
a.4cdn.org/vg/thread/147553724.json

Program parses each reply, validates it, grabs the image if it passes and then stuffs everything into its own HTML file. HTML is converted into a PNG. I manually post it here, but that takes less than a minute. Whole process takes about 2 or 3 minutes. Only manual thing is updating the CSS.

Render the entire scene and upscale in post. That's all you have to do.

Both are garbage. If you need to rotate, either suck it up and draw frames yourself or don't use fucking pixel art.

You make all the art in its native resolution. 1 pixel = 1 pixel. You make the game, the game window, and everything related to the game in its native resolution, 1 pixel = 1 pixel.

Only then after everything is in its native resolution, you can upscale the viewport of the game so that it stays pixel perfect.

This is the reason it confuses me as to why people don't make their pixel games pixel perfect. Not only is it easier to work with it when everything is native resolution, but it looks better too.

And you are right.

>ah yes i am fine with following pixel art restrictions such as sprite size and limited palette
>composing the final image accordingly? i scoff at the notion!

Excellent post, lad.

probably because nobody cares

Am I retarded for setting up my block pushing as a chain reaction when there are several blocks in a row? It works fine but GM doesn't like recursive functions and crashes if there's a chain of 32 blocks.

>tfw can't wait to make animations but need to build the solid gameplay / mechanics first

So, when designing characters, do you guys do concept art, rough draft, or do you just jump into making sprites/models?

That's not how Sokoban works.

Outside this echo chamber nobody gives a shit.

What sort of feedback should be given when the player defeats a wave of enemies? I was thinking of playing some sort of "ding" sound effect.

I know, but my character is stronger than the Sokoban weakling.

Todays thread-ruiner:
-> Autists thinking that if someone does something in an medium that's new it is hereticism in its highest form not realising that 60fps pixel art is just as wrong by their own logic. So is 3d animation using bones!

Tomorrow: Arguing whether Ecs or Hierarchical structures are best!

I usually have a general idea of what I want and then spend lots of time collecting reference for the specific details. After that I jump right into modeling.

I try to make sure I get any changes I want before the sculpting stage because I don't want to redo it.

>60fps pixel art is just as wrong
Why

agdg is always right

Fuck off "spoopy".

aaaand finally the core game mechanic (not fully done but still).
you choose two tiles, collapse world between those and solve puzzle. I dont even know why I restarted this. I fucking did all these and much more last year.... whatever. It'll be better this time.
next; releasing collapsed sections

> you will never meet the mysterious developer known as "pigpen" who makes all these shitty erotic games
if only he browsed a site that I browsed too...

His address is publically available. You could go see him if you wanted.

What do you guys think of this sound I got going on. Is it good, or does it sound too dated/runescape?
clyp.it/buqmct0t

Why do you guys randomly point out some posts as mine? Its triggering me

New to agdg, is this where you shill your wip games?

It's that shithead using the same picture over and over.
Are going to post the picture of the guy laughing "not-safe.jpg" next?

>60fps pixel art is just as wrong
Except that many NES and SNES games ran at 60 FPS. Of course they were more prone to slowing down, but if the devs knew what they were doing there wouldn't be any slow downs.

>So is 3d animation using bones
Except most 3D devs aren't trying to emulate N64 or PS1 games.

No, just drop the finished game on demoday without ever posting here

I like it, there's no such thing as "dated" OSTs, just bad/gimmicky OSTS.

Banjo Kazooie/tooie still holds up fine.

yes

Because either you're this guy (same images) as points out or this guy has pretended to be you in the past (hence the quotation marks).

Just post gamedev my man. Made something for your game? post it. Added a new mechanic? post it.

>60fps pixel art
This makes no sense. Pixel art is not related in any way to framerate. A pixel art picture has no framerate.

>Made some code progress yesterday so today i can spend all day making the art, it's gonna be fun!
>Made the sprites for the enemies too small and besides that I don't know how to make them rotate when the direction changes