Small SUV/Crossovers

What does Veeky Forums recommend? Thinking of throwing a RAV4 or a CR-V on coilovers for an AWD hoon wagon, or else maybe just as a beater, I don't know. Any other suggestions? >inb4 kill yourself

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=jkiv-bWbLIo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Stance that shit out
>#hellaflush

So hang on....why do you want an SUV if you're lowering it?

the fucks the point of getting an SUV if you want to lower it? just get a Rav-4, CRV, X-terra, whatever and bag it offroad a bit and drive it through the mud

Shut up and buy a civic for 5k

Snowy climate, want AWD, but want some handling feel, I don't need a V8 and 4x4, so I mentioned these because they are small AWD/Crossovers. Is it such a bad idea?

The snow isn't huge, it's ice, and muddy roads mostly.

>the fucks the point of getting an SUV if you want to lower it?
because then it's basically a wagon. Wagons are hard to find these days.

Anyways OP, what about a Subaru Forester? lower it and drop in a WRX motor.

It's hard to find a nice forester here in the midwest, most people hold onto them, passing them down to their kids. The only ones for sale are at 240,000 miles and are rusted as fuck. I also wouldn't take a WRX engine, because that's not what i'm looking for, and I'm barely 18. I just need a new car to work on, and my budget is barely $3,000, but I'll add to it bit-by-bit.

Do it faggot! A rav-4 would look pretty cool. Just try not to go cheap on parts especially suspension. Good luck and do whatever you want

Thanks! I'd really like a 2 door model, but those are rare as fuck, and I haul people around a lot, so I guess a 4 door would be better anyway.

if you're not driving over big snow banks, why do you need the ride height?

for that matter, why do you need awd? it doesn't sound particularly bad, drop $600 on a set of winter tires and swap them out when it starts getting cold in late fall.

if i can daily a 300hp v8 wagon with snow tires in the northeast, you can too

Subaru Legacy wagon then. Fucking EVERYWHERE.
Just get a manual transmission or it might as well be a CRV/Rav4.
manual Foresters/Legacys/Imprezas have a 50/50 front/rear power split.
Automatic Foresters/Legacys/Imprezas has a 90/10 front/rear torque split

CRV's never send power to the rear whether AWD models or not because the computers involved are retarded.
Rav4's have a decent AWD system, essentially the same system from the Celica GT-Four. Minus the performance transmission and minus the turbocharged 2.0L engine.

Legacy's aren't everywhere at all. Outbacks definitely are.

So you basically want a wagon?

Outbacks are just lifted Legacy wagons. Same thing.

Outback's duo-tone paint looks shitty

What price point are you looking at OP?

$3,000 or so, I have school so I can't work full time, and get only $9 an hour. Feels bad man

absolutely your only option is to kill yourself, you idiot

Well here I go with my 2 cents:

-Avoid Subaru. At that price point, most of the stuff you will find will be too clapped out to be worth your wild

-Rav-4 and CR-V are both great vehicles at the price, but it's waste of time trying to turn them into a hoon wagon, and you'd just be hastening the death of otherwise reliable beaters.

-If you want a 4x4 hoon machine, find an old Jeep GC/regular Cherokee, and hoon to your heart's content. The drivetrain will be reliable enough for a beater, and you won't give a shit about the rest if you're just hooning it for giggles

I don't mean a track vehicle or anything, just lowered to the point of a regular sedan, with slightly stiffer suspension, no engine mods or anything. Just so it can hug corners better, and so I could do somewhat-spirited driving. I'm worried people would think I'm pic related, though.

Lol, sadly, a Subaru would meet the criteria of exactly what you want, it's just at your budget, finding a decent example will be near nill

Getting something like a CR-V or Rav and lowering it would just be a waste of money. If anything it would handle worse lowered, they were just never meant to be repurposed in the way you want to repurpose them

>Lower what's basically an Accord/Camry to make a heavier Accord/Camry
>Not simply getting snow tires for Accord/Camry
>Spirited driving in a Camry/Accord
>Spirited driving in the midwest

Your pic is already related.

Seriously, just refer to .

>Accord/Camry
But the CRV/RAV4 were based on the Civic/Corolla of their times...

why dont you just get an awd sedan if you feel that you dont need the additional clearance?

Subaru Legacy

500x / renegade

not on his budget tard. We're talking 3k, not 25k

>implying I would read the thread before posting
Panda 4x4 it is then

>Based on Civic/Corolla PLATFORM
>Based on

CR-V and RAV-4 share engines with the Accord and Camry, respectively, and are similar in weight and dimensions.

not available in America where OP is.

They didn't share drivetrains with the Accord/Camry until the third generations. We're talking abut the first and second gens.

Accord/CRV

I concede that you are correct for the first gen, which used the B20B and B20Z which were not available in the Accord. However from 2nd gen on, they either used the K20X, K24X, or R20X, all of which are used in the Accord depending on which market.

RAV-4/Camry

1st gen: Drivetrain shared in some non-USDM markets. 3S-FE and 5S-FE engines are very similar, regardless.

2nd gen+: Both share the AZ and later, AR engines. ACV35 Camry's (JDM only) share the same AWD drivetrain as the RAV-4.

All else aside, dimensions and weights for the CR-V/RAV-4 are still closer to what the Accord's/Camry's are.

Came here to say this. A Subaru will have the best AWD considering the $3K budget unless OP wants to dump money into a traditional shitbox

Southern Indiana is very Midwest and actually has come decent roads if you're in the right part. I found a bretty good road with a mix of turns and elevation changes near Bloomington. It was no toe-gay, but you could have good fun.

Should have clarified that he's from the USA then.

>Honda 4wd
m.youtube.com/watch?v=jkiv-bWbLIo

You want the lift anyway. As someone who drives a 2000 Legacy, it's a solid car but the ground clearance sucks. You'll bottom out in 8 inches of soft slush and on the really nasty mountain roads. Definitely getting something with a lot more clearance soon.

i own a rav4

its a fucking tank, the engine and transmission can take some serious fucking abuse.

the whole car is built to the lower side of 90's standards, ie, it suffers from gm style body pannel and interior trim fitment issues. the whole of everything shakes and rattles as you bounce down the road.

and fyi

the 3sgte is a direct bolt in swap.

>AWD
>snow
kek. unless it has LSDs, when one wheel loses traction, that wheel just spins and the rest lose power.

>AWD models feature Active Torque Control, which automatically switches between front wheel drive and All Wheel Drive
>automatically just turns itself into 2wd
>manual has lockable diffs
>auto can have LSDs
>auto cannot manually lock diffs, only partially locks diffs via magnetic coupling when slip is detected
well that's useful when you're already sliding off the road.

sounds like shit OP.

>wagons are hard to find
wagons are easy to find. because they're a family car. nobody wants a wagon so they sell cheap. provided someone hasnt done the retarded engine swap that breaks the chassis rails because it cant handle the extra mass and power off road, they're a good car.

you want lockable diffs if you're truely dealing with difficult poor traction terrain. otherwise 2wd is fine.

>3sgte

fuck I love '90s Toyota and the OG Rav-4 but I don't want to grenade the engine

are there even any more 3S-GTEs in the US?