Why did the Irish never engage in colonialism/imperialism?

Why did the Irish never engage in colonialism/imperialism?

Are they ashamed of being the only western European nation that never had colonial possessions?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Blood-Isles-Professor-Bryan-Sykes/dp/0593056523
newscientist.com/article/mg22530134-300-ancient-invaders-transformed-britain-but-not-its-dna/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The Irish were never a nation until the 20th century.

Colonial empires were memes and nothing to be proud of.

>"""""conquering""""" natives and niggers

This.

It wasn't a proper country until 1937.

> says increasing wrong man in English

>Are they ashamed of being the only western European nation that never had colonial possessions?
Proud of this actually. Lack of shame would perhaps be a better way of putting it

>nation
The word you are looking for is state famalam

They colonized US though

>tfw Brian Boruma almost unified Ireland in the 9th century but he got shanked by the Eternal Meatball

They were not independent the Irish state did not have colonies of it's own. But Irish make up a large percentage of the settler populations in USA, Canada, NZ and Australia. Infact Celtic people were disproportionately involved in British colonization.

>implying the english are not more celtic than germanic

The British are Celts, bro.

>He fell for the English are Brits meme

No they aren't.

amazon.com/Blood-Isles-Professor-Bryan-Sykes/dp/0593056523

>The contribution of the Celts of Central Europe to the genetic makeup of Britain and Ireland was minimal; most of the genetic contribution to the British Isles of those we think of as Celtic, came from western continental Europe, i.e. the Atlantic seaboard.

> The largest cluster accounted for half the participants and occupies almost the whole of eastern and southern England and most of the Midlands. This turned out to be the genetic legacy of the Anglo-Saxon invasions. Even so, at least 60 per cent of the DNA in the cluster had survived from earlier migrants

60% pre-Anglo-Saxon

newscientist.com/article/mg22530134-300-ancient-invaders-transformed-britain-but-not-its-dna/

>Ua Briain

They were definitely a nation. They had a common culture, language, law and identity. They weren't a state, but there was a loose sense or being Gaelic that transcended their political divisions.

If you wanted to stretch the definition of imperialism there were Irish colonies in Scotland and Wales during the early middle ages, though those are more comparable to Greek colonies of antiquity than early modern imperial colonies.

In the 17th century, Earl of Tyrconnell, Richard Talbot, wanted to divide the Irish parliament from Westminster entirely so that Ireland could control their own affairs; control their own trade, their own taxes, etc. So under that system they might have tried their hand at colonialism. But after the Jacobites were defeated there was no chance of that happening

Nice job confusing culture and DNA you sperg

>The insights come from a study of DNA samples donated by 2039 Caucasian people from around the UK.

Not big enough tbqh

I demand a meta-analysis

Because they are a sissy race

born and bred to be submissive to the Anglo master

The original claim was that 'Brits are Celtic'; no one mentioned culture, you moron.

> meta-analysis
> real science

>Why did the Irish never engage in colonialism/imperialism
Didn't have the opportunity.

No, and as a result Ireland is mostly ethnically homogenous today rather than being filled with niggers and mudslimes.

>Eternal Meatball

what?

>one of the most resistant and anti-british peoples (even today) who literally revolted nearly once every generation
>born and bred to be submissive to the anglo master
top kek

>single study of 2039 people
>enough to determine the genetic ancestry of Britain

they're just being tsundere

Maybe he means Italians ? But idk why the fuck italians would bother assassinating a random irishman like this

swedes

>tfw you will never, EVER, fight for your country's independence
>tfw you will never tell your grandchildren stories about how you fought for Ireland to control her own destiny, never to be ruled by the Brits again
damn son where'd I find these feels

They colonised Liverpool in England, Glasgow in Scotland and Boston in the US.

>grandson I used to swallow cum and receive dick to the ass, but don't worry I dumped that guy

Anime isn't real

Ireland was a colony.

>Where once you watched the small free birds fly

>tfw you will never know the glory and power of having subject peoples

>ifunny
epin friend

Burger here, we have far more Irish than Anglo-Saxons

It's funny how every time there is a study on English genetics they have more Anglo-Saxon DNA than the last

>English/gaelic language divide
>Catholic/protestant religious divide
>British/irish identity divide
>Northern and southern ireland divide to this day

Still not a nation even now

Irish, welsh, scots - most KEKED peoples on earth

speaking the language of their conqueror as first instead of their own

it's pathetic

Like the Indians?

Are you Irish or Irish-American? Being ashamed of Europeans rightfully asserting their supremacy is mind boggling to me.

Indians are not homogeneous and use English to unify the different groups linguistically.

There's no reason for Irish welsh and scots not to speak their own languages

Maist Scots spak thair ain leid stile :^)

In all seriousness it's not that bad in Wales, and the extent of linguistic oppression in Ireland has probably not been seen in any other European nation. Even the French and Russians weren't as bad as the English. It's a miracle Irish survived at all.

Don't forget Basques, Belarusians, Bretons and Catalans.

The Catholic/Protestant religious divide and British/Irish divide are basically the same thing and only relevant in NI.

Saying not having NI makes Ireland not a nation is the equivalent of saying not having Prussia anymore makes Germany not a nation.

I can admire übermensch who took enormous risks in search of their fortunes in the new world, though not the imperialism spook.

If anyone deserves pride and credit it is a tiny minority of scientists and various artisans who discovered things that boosted the economy and military.

Literally all it takes for a nation to be is to have its ethnonym exist and for people to describe themselves using it

as soon as someone says they are irish, than that's that

I could become irish the minute I decided to call myself Irish

It's all it takes, but not having people subscribe to the name literally means the nation doesn't exist/stopped existing

Irish. We are by far and away the most self satisfied nationality, and knowing we didn't fuck anyone over is a small part of that.

Sure everyone loves us

>Proud of this actually.
This. It's like being the only guy on your block who never mugged someone.

>guy on your block
^Check out this fucking yankee doodle dandy^

>I could become irish the minute I decided to call myself Irish
That's now how it works Pavel

Actually the irish did have a bit of an empire. You see the first iberians was ruled by kings who was irish. Tarquinius superbus the last irish king of iberia was overthrown by the iberians who ruled iberia for a couple of centuries. Until sulla the great irish general overthrew the iberians and exterminated them in the social war. Now irish was running iberia again and a iberian wasnt seen in the region again until it was sacked by alaric and the iberians eventually killed or sent the black irish to ireland. Julius caesar was irish

They didn't get the chance due to being invaded by England. If Ireland had resisted invasion they probably would've gone on to become a small colonial power similar to Portugal or the Netherlands.

>and knowing we didn't fuck anyone over is a small part of that.

Only because you never had the power to. It's like being proud of never being a bully (which is pretty fucking gay like); you only get that pride because you never had the power.

how then

it seems to me all it takes for a nation to exist is for people to 'channel' it

#woke

lit as fuck muh paddo

They use Hindi though as well.

Why would we be ashamed of being 96% white?

"White"
See

>white

>posting 1840s propaganda as fact
Anglos truly do live in the past.

man these things never cease to amaze me, as well as any kind of propaganda 'meme' others came up with at the time - soviets for example demonizing kulaks etc.

literally using the same tricks to make some group/person look bad pol-fags would use today

It's such a human thing to do I suppose

If your sources include magical cattle I would discredit it

and it was a way to justify colonization.

that's because we have one beyond bronze age cow thieves and getting fucked up the metaphoric arse

You don't have a future though Abdul.

You too should disappear from this world.

Stop polluting.

At least the best English language book was Irish.

I do though paddy, and it involves fucking plump Irish arses in the spirit of my ancestors

Fuck off ya cunt, don't interrupt ethnic banter

So one minute Shakespeare was a black woman, and now he's Irish? jeeze lad

>Shakespeare
>books
Lmaoing at your life

>best english language book

The best English Langauge book is The Trial.

Nice try.

The Trial was a German language book.

yeah, books

>my ancestors
I thought Charlie the Hammer Man stopped them at Tours

Being the only country in Northern and Western Europe that's third world tier makes it hard to colonize overseas.

they never were stopped

going on a lad's holiday to dublin soon, see again the arses I loved so well

this post some mad homosex geesh

this

>Irish
>We are by far and away the most satisifed nationality
By being England's stepping stone for centuries or the fact that you suck French dick for your ***high*** Celtic culture and are losing your Irish tongue to the Eternal Anglo's own?

Ya we smug fucks

Actually the old Irish Kings invented what you call "English" as a scholarly past time. We decided to gift it to the savage English, who were made in an experiment by Jacob the Scientist.

>losing your Irish tongue
cucks haven't lost it yet
it's documented, tons of people know it, they have tv and radio, documents are written in it, it's an official language

it's just that irish are cucks/stupid and don't want to learn it/use it

it could become common place in two generations if they really wanted to do it though

>Why did the Irish never engage in colonialism/imperialism?
because we were a colony

>Are they ashamed of being the only western European nation that never had colonial possessions?
No we're proud.

>the fact that you suck French dick for your ***high*** Celtic culture
???

>Why did the Irish never engage in colonialism/imperialism?
because we were a colony

No we're proud.

>the fact that you suck French dick for your ***high*** Celtic culture
???

>The original claim was that 'Brits are Celtic'; no one mentioned culture, you moron.
Celtic is a cultural term, you moron.

Sure thing, Finn Macc Cool.

The Irish colonized the United States.

And makes it much easier on the conscious to do really bad things against them.

Also, the Irish don't need anything but themselves and their land. They're a perfect people.

axchually they is norwidgians

Then why did the potato faminine happen?

Ayup listen up you probably butthurt anglo, it's hard to take over anything when you're neighbour with the fucking british of all and the bleeding ocean.

Because it rained alot, alot even for Ireland and crops started to mold before they even got up out of the ground due to this. Google it.

there were no celts of central europe

So your statement was false then.

Not necessarily. There is SOME evidence that Proto-Celtics developed in Southern Germany but then the migrating Proto-Germanics pushed them away toward the Alps and into what is modern France, Belgium, parts of northern Italy and Spain and of course the British Isles.

Because of the eternal anglo driving the Irish into poverty with the Penal Laws meaning they could only afford potatoes, and then when the potato blight hit they continued to export food from Ireland.