Why did the 80's and 90's have such a lasting cultural impact on today's society?

Why did the 80's and 90's have such a lasting cultural impact on today's society?

A lot of stuff from the 80s and 90s such as the music, video games, fashion, ect is seen as iconic and of better quality than the cultural aspects of the 00's and 10's. Why? What made the 80's and 90's so powerful?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-p-LNHxlHIo
youtube.com/watch?v=G_izvS6sLSs
youtube.com/watch?v=UqlwFMcmeHI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:1980s_American_animated_television_series
youtube.com/watch?v=HAIDqt2aUek
youtube.com/watch?v=Ardc3nrQMxw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because you're in your early 20's and miss your childhood.

Nice try
Stop resorting to personal attacks and actually answer the question

It's not an attack I'm 23 feel the same about stuff I grew up with just like my parents think their lame ass shit they grew with was cool and icon.

Because since consumerism was implemented and corporations run the world, herd mentality came back stronger than ever and people are more influenced than ever tobuy whatever product is on sale. Everything is a product now, from sex to trends (like the GEEK style) to food to accessories. We are in a decadent society that promotes materialism and the 80's were the bottom line, now we are just living an echo of that,and I don't see a new tendency coming up in the next couple of years, at least from large groups in a collective awareness movement or something.

He's right though. It's nothing more than nostalgia and talking shit about kids these days.

Sorry.
My childhood was in the 00's. But I don't think any of it is cool, I think it was a lame time, and I'm shocked people actually feel nostalgia for it.

But maybe it has to do with my parents being born in the early 60's and almost exclusively playing 70s-80s-90s music all the time

I dont get why 20 year old kids would feel nostalgia over the 80s and 90s. I mean my 50 year old parents feel nostalgic over the 80s and 90s.

Isnt it 30 years apart ? Why are they feeling nostalgia over similar decades ?

Nostalgia moves in 25(ish) year cycles.

Yeah I see what you mean. Also, music artists in the 80s-90s experimented with a lot of sounds and styles that I haven't seen surpassed yet. There needs to be more technique and bigger innovation in these things like we seen with the 40s - 60s and the 60s - 80s. For god's sake, I still hear 80's basslines and influences in modern music still. When are we going to move on and actually make out our decades to be something?

Sorry for the bad wording.

It makes me depressed for some reason, like it was the exaltation of Western culture when it comes to "newness"

I autistically brought up music but I thought I would be able to express my point better. But I think it's the same principle with what you were saying

twas a time of authenticity (anything pre-1996)

unique subcultures and community were always dominant and ahead of any corporate/govt attempt to subjugate them

communities and subcultures were independent in developing and practicing their styles and interests with weak meddling from money masters

the internet and advancing tech finally provided the money masters full control of society, with standardisation of thought, behavior, culture and styles

the taming of the wild beast finally succeeded

and all the originality, creativity, freshness and organic developments was replaced by the standardised, formulised, fabricated and prepackaged corporate culture

tl;dr globalisation/internet = global conformity directed by moneyed

>Also, music artists in the 80s-90s experimented with a lot of sounds and styles that I haven't seen surpassed yet.

>twas a time of authenticity (anything pre-1996)

ITT: the only music is popular music

too bad you were all bourne in the wronge generation kiddes

Probably the fact you grew up in them you dumbass.

M8 even the less known and underground stuff that came out since then is shit compared to back then

Nostalgia towards the 80's isn't because of childhood music or shit like that. It's because the 80's truly were the golden age of western culture with it's booming economy, multiple new and diverse sub-cultures and great fashion

90's on the other hand are for nostalgia fags

This, ask anyone that was mature back then and they'll tell you that the 80s were insane

30 years is nothing you dumbass.

In the grand scheme of things? Yes.

But it's like half of the average life

corporations consolidated their grip on culture/society

b4 cable tv, everyone had access to quality TV with channels competing for the best quality shows

and there was cartoons galore, everyday afterschool, and saturday morning cartoons (6am-1pm):
Thundercats
Transformers
TMNT
Whinnie Pooh
Muppet Babies
Fraggle Rock
CBS Storytime
Popeye
Mighty Mouse
Flinstones
Gumby
GI Joe
Smurfs
Pee-wee

to name a few

almost everything on TV was targeted for the enjoyment of child, including endless exciting and energetic juvenile commercials:
Pop Tarts
My Little Pony
Bubble Tape
Pop Rocks
Cabbage Patch

and more basic TV shows:
Knight Rider
A-Team
Superboy
Buck Rogers
Batman
Giligans Island
Bewitched
Tarzan
Family Ties
Family Matters

same with the movies:
Karate Kid
Back to the Future
Honey I Shrunk the Kids
Kindergarden Cop
Beverly Hills Cop
Caddyshack
Police Academy
Rocky
Rambo
Indiana Jones
Flash Gordon
Superman

everything was delivered high quality and for the "kid" in everyone

very positive times

It's always 20 somethings that make this stupid argument. As if you even knew what nostalgia is like you fucking kid.

>average life
>60 years

Where do you live, Russia?

I said like half, not half

everyone should watch "The Wizard" to get an understanding of that prior to the mid-90s everything was targeted for the juvenile in all of us

commercials were dominated by toys, games, kids cereals, candies and other child products

no tampon, pharmaceutical, obscene, depressing or negative commercials

it was all about keeping you positive and happy

You'd be surprised at the amount of men who die in their 60s in western countries from natural causes, especially with all the overweight men nowadays. I say men because women tend to live longer

>like half
>off by 20 years in the developed world

But women are more overweight than men

Okay but men still die younger

And why did that change?

I'm pretty sure people who live to a hundred are still a rarity

Literally depends on where you come from.

Life expectancy in the developed world is around 80 user.

>100
>80
>100-80=20
Durr

>"30 is like half the average life"
>30x2 = 60
>average life expectancy is 80
>80-60 = 20

The premise for this thread is wrong.
The 60s and 70s was a period of far more impactful and sweeping cultural change.
The 90s is by and large still under appreciated and treated as just an akward shitty 'halfway' decade, which I find sad because I think the 90s had more to say about westen society on the whole then the 80's did.

the old guard maintained puritan innocence and positive juvenility of society, a WASPy thing

you could see it in every period and waning in 90s

most of hollywood, sarnoffs, mgm, corporatists all were in line wth this and kept the traitionalist traditions

negative culture mafia, gangs was always around but kept down

a new young generation of NYers started to dominate holywood in the 70s ie The Godfather, DeNiro etc

gradually replacing old guard positivity with grimey urban decay

cable tv reinforced the waning power of the old guard

the old guard maintained puritan innocence and positive juvenility of society, a WASPy thing

you could see it in every period and waning in 90s

most of hollywood, sarnoffs, mgm, corporatists all were in line wth this and kept the traitionalist traditions

negative culture mafia, gangs was always around but kept down

a new young generation of NYers started to dominate holywood in the 70s ie The Godfather, DeNiro etc

gradually replacing old guard positivity with grimey urban decay

cable tv r
acclrated the waning power of the old guard

>cable tv acclrated the waning power of the old guard

the friendlier, positive character of society permeated everything, even during economic crisis of the 70s 80s

why does a decade have to say anything about society? that seems sorta pretentious desu
why can't a decade just be about good times, chill music, and sick style?

wew

this societal transformation from positive energetic and juvenile pre-90s to agressive, harsh and depressive of post 80s can be seen everywhere

even the news broadcrasters of the 80s had a calm, happy, well mannered demeanor a stark contrast from the loud, wild, abrassive, rowdy, domineering, fear mongering news casters spewing negativity and depression of the post80s

>M8 even the less known and underground stuff that came out since then is shit compared to back then

You say that because you haven't bothered to research in the slighest, you wait for stuff to be "canonized" by the media in order to "discover" it.

It's quite oblivious that, even with the god damn internet, people just don't inform themselves at all.

weak economies look back on times when economies were stronger. same reason we don't look back fondly on the 30s, 40s, or 70s

just the flavor
youtube.com/watch?v=-p-LNHxlHIo

youtube.com/watch?v=G_izvS6sLSs

youtube.com/watch?v=UqlwFMcmeHI

voltron
alf
jetsons
garfield
heathcliff
Denver, the Last Dinosaur
et
saved by bell
full house
dinosaurs
Dennis the Menace
richie rich
ducktale
scooby doo

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:1980s_American_animated_television_series

>cartoons galore, everyday afterschool, and saturday morning cartoons (6am-1pm):

not only in after school, but before school from 6am -9:30am every weekday

The 80's were awful, shit music, shit fashion, only good thing were the movies.

>chi house, troit techno, nyc funk rap, miami bass, nyc latino freestyle, cali gangsta rap, electro, punk, heavy metal, soft rock, new wave, Japanese hardcore, Japanese noise rock, Salsa etc

>shit music

Literally all of that is shit

Decades ranking:

>Impactful Tier
1980s
1970s
1960s

>Decent Tier
1920s

>Shit Tier
1930s-1950s

>Shitty aesthetics, cringe and edgy teenagers
1990's
2000's

>>Shit Tier
>1930s-1950s

>putting leisure suits and disco above Dada
What the fuck are you doing? The rest is good though.

>So delusional that he thinks the 80's and 90's were good

1930s-1940s was the Great Depression and WW2, while the 1950s is literally just a decade of propaganda.

1970s was just a massive Recession, while the 1980s is literally just a decade of excess and greed.

>1970s was just a massive Recession
It was impactful, and had great music/aesthetics.

>1980s is literally just a decade of excess and greed
This is literally every decade.

>1920s
>only decent
Called the "Roaring Twenties" for a reason bub, not to mention the literature of the times

1970s was the worst postwar decade in the US.

>great aesthetics
>afros, sideburns, ashtray glasses and bell bottoms

I'm so glad it's long over.

>It was impactful, and had great music/aesthetics.

This is literally every decade.

I can make platitudes too!

>he doesn't like noise rock, hardcore, punk, post-punk, post hardcore, gothic rock, NWOBHM, Thrash metal, rap or new wave
confirmed for hating fun

It's a cycle

The 60's actually had a philosophical foundation, albeit it shallow and borderline degenerate, but a philosophy nonetheless.

The 70's and 80's were more about vanity, self image, arrogance, and appearance.

The 90's were just flat out emo. Messages attempting to be sent. Whether it was war in the east, the war in the streets of this country etc etc

2005ish to about now...
It's back to the 70's and 80's...image, appearance, arrogance, braggin', attempting to show people that you're something that you're really not.

Once these swag-gods and pop stars grow up, they'll get tired of this and then their vanity will desire to be looked at as noble/important and not just too look cool, but to be important. They'll attempt to sound smart and the pop culture again will change. Untill...the next group of youth will try to kick the door down and go back to being a bunch of braggadociosesesss'

>I'm so glad it's long over.
As if

But the 70s/80s have large followings for their fashion/culture by many, and fashion/music from that era is still being replicated today. Meanwhile the only people who have nostalgia for the 90s are manchildren who miss the vidya or 13 year olds who never even experienced it. People who lived through the 90s as teenagers often prefer their younger days in the 80s over the unaesthetic mess that was the 90s.

Survival bias. Only the best from each respective decade lives on in pop culture, making you think that X era was better. We're not far enough out of the 2000s and 2010s for that to have happened. Kids born in the 90s are still barely in their 20s, the legacy of the 00's and 10's will be solidified within another 20 years.

until the 90s, every decade produced a new, fresh, and original subculture rose to replace the older, outdated, and unoriginal form
hipsters have been wallowing in an expired fad for well over 2 decades, with nothing viable to replace them
have we reached a hipster plateau?
today's youth is stuck. this generation enthusiastically wallows in the faded glory of a by-gone era.
youth culture has become fully corporatized and globalized to support the interests of the interests of status quo

>stagnated youth culture

the west has stopped producing "youth" and is aging rapidly

globalization has effectively stomped out natural population growth to produce youth that would support new and developing subcultures

the development of creativity was based on unique communities that have been dissolved and globally homogenised into globalised corporate culture

the 21st century started 16 (SIXTEEN) years ago. that's barely enough to cut it as history, and not at all by some metrics.
the people who grew up in this era (i.e. most of us) are not even in full adulthood or the age of power in society

it's fucking self-evident stuff that JUST happened doesn't have a lasting cultural impact

this thread is embarrassing
>but the cartoons! the corporations ruined it all at some arbitrary year in the '90s!

I think that a lot of our love for the 90s and late 80s come from the sheer feeling of victory we in the West had

It was our peak. We had triumphed over all of our enemies. The West was the leader of economy, culture and politics. Nothing seemed to be able to beat down democracy, capitalism and our sheer willpower. Music and Movies were all about party, love and how we would overcome all problems in the end. Social problems from gendrt inequality to racism seemed to have their days numbered and we thought that we'd all be living in a sort of 1950s paradise era for all.
The world seemed to be at our feet and it was a matter of time before peace and happiness reached all

I genuinely think that the peak of Western civilization was on September 10th 2001

Because the very next day heralded the start of government abuse of power, class, gender and racial conflict, the death of the West and the destruction of our society and values.
Individualism stopped being a matter of improving oneself to better society, but a synonymous of apathy and arrogance. We suffered one of the worst economic recessions since 1929. The Internet, which was supposed to bring us all together, became the center of corporate manipulation, indifference and an intense sense of divisivness

Everything is a battle today. There is not a single country which isn't suffering either a social or economic crisis. People are gurt by everything and there's not a single thing we can do that would save the Occidental word that won't brutally tear apart our most basic values

The West is dying. And there's absolutely nothing to do. We'll see our past glories fade and turn to dust. We'll never see the bright future we expected to see. People will die, people will suffer, people will become monsters to themselves and to everyone around them. And every single one of those thing will happen right in front of our eyes, at least those unfortunate enough to be young.

The old and the dead are the only lucky ones

I hope you realize the 90s was riddled with strife. You had mass anti-drug campaigns, school shooters and their wannabe replicants, and """militias"""".

What?
Do you think that 9/11 didn't absolutely change the way we see the world?

That iPhones, Twitter, Facebook and Veeky Forums haven't molded the way people interactwith eachother?

Do you think that gay liberation, trans acceptation and all other sorts of social movements haven't transformed how we make our politics and art?

The 90s obviously had problems. I'm not saying it was the perfect era. I'm saying that all those problems, from drugs to antisocial behavior, don't get close to how everything seems to revolve around our collapse as a society today

>trans acceptation
Yeah, no this is going to go as well as the pedo acceptance stuff of the late sixties and seventies went.

In 40 years time we'll be putting trannies back in the mental wards where they belong.

you know what? i'll humour this shit. and keep in mind these are PREDICTIONS of what will be deemed historical or impactful because they just happened or are still impacting the world today

>9/11: symbolism at its finest, global empire attacked and shaken at its core
>America's Iraq-Afghanistan adventures: domestic and global disillusionment with US government
>protest movements of the early 2010s: Occupy, the Arab Spring, anti-austerity (i.e. Greece)
>Syria: globally-focused proxy war everyone is talking about, like Spain in the '30s
>climax of the EU: starts to become more politicized with Lisbon, Eastern enlargement, only to face a reality check with Brexit and the rise of populist Eurosceptic parties
>the migrant crisis: demographic upheaval, a mass movement of people unseen in decades (WWII?), huge challenge to present European infrastructure of borders (or lack of) and security
>rise of China
>Russia's adventures in Crimea/Ukraine (+ Maidan Revolution)

not to mention
>explosion of the internet: everyone is online and connected like never before
this is the type of event that will be our Industrial Revolution, and we may not gauge its full effects in our lifetimes

next up, i'll try to see what's been happening in terms of culture

i'm not saying that it's accepted
i'm just saying that it has changed many aspects of our culture and put them on debate, such as gender and gender roles

i honestly don't have an opinion on the subject. I just think that the whole movement is being pushed forward too quick and that people who don't know better are getting hurt for it
we honestly just need more research and time

does today's youth live in a community where they play on the streets with other kids in a safe and nourishing environment?

they only socialize thru technology and rarely participate in playground activities that were common prior to the advent of the internet.
many live in sophisticated gentrified hoods where they mature rapidly and emulate the behavior of their hipster mentors

does today's youth have quality shows and movies that impart a positive, innocent vibe?
do they have saturday morning cartoons/shows?
do they have afterschool and before school cartoons/shows?
name anything recent that would match the quality and wholesome positivity of:

>does today's youth have quality shows and movies that impart a positive, innocent vibe?
>do they have saturday morning cartoons/shows?
>do they have afterschool and before school cartoons/shows?
>name anything recent that would match the quality and wholesome positivity of:
Steven Universe

Judging by the fact that crime rates in the states are down since the 80s and 90s, yeah. Kids do have a safer environment to play outside in, you luddite.

And now you've invited yet more shitposting from neurotic assholes about how its progressivism hurts their feefees.

There's nothing you can say to these retards that they won't respond to with sheer, stubborn contrarianism.

The creation of (sub)cultures has moved online. Take vaporwave as an example: vibrant scene creating music (already multiple different styles beyond 'slowed down/chopped up elevator music') and visual art. All started on the internet with no geographical centre to speak of.

Internet allows us to create these sorts of communities that are allegedly dead with people from across the world, without actually meeting up together.
It also allows trends to cross continents in a matter of moments. i.e. the use of hashtags in political activism in third world countries like Zimbabwe

What effects this climate has on how we interact is difficult for me to gauge, but I'm sure it's massive. We have all subconsciously learned how to conduct ourselves online, with a new language and etiquette. this has taken time, as seen by the sort of 'Wild West' I can say whatever the fuck I want even if my name is connected attitude people have on social media. The very power of social media is a thing in itself.

Meanwhile, the fact it's common knowledge that all this activity is privy to government spying, combined with that general lack of faith in the state, and sprinkled in some of the decreased face-to-face interaction, and you have a society that may be more distrustful - or hard to get to know.

The 90s and before are already in the world of nostalgia. Give it another decade and we will be looking back on Britney Spears, early Kanye, and the golden age of YouTube. All those great HBO dramas (The Wire, The Sopranos) and the wave of TV shows that focused on stories/productions more than mass produced capeshit movies, the parallel rise of fast fashion and youth retreating to the thrift stores

>the kids ain't playing outside no mo!
>muh cartoons!
>muh loss of innocence!

I have to say, this is the most concise emulation of the 'wrong generation' archetype I have ever seen. Well done, b8 taken.

Nice theory but no.

Let's hear all these marvelous new bands then

(comment was too long)

...the zenith of individualism with kids actually creating personal styles while generally eschewing subcultures, new values for upcoming adults (muh travel, do I really need higher education if it comes with all that debt?),

Shit like Rick & Morty, BoJack Horseman, Regular Show, Adventure Time...these are our cartoons. Family Guy is THE 2000s cartoon, South Park too.

Musically? The ascension of hip hop is THE music of the youth and its multiple scenes (trap, sing-rapping i.e. Drake, drugged-out highly-produced post-trap i.e. Future/Travis Scott, singing in general, a new visual aesthetic since the early 2000s which was late '90s spillover), the explosion of the EDM scene in North America, the rise of festivals, underground groups/sounds catching dedicated followings (i.e. Death Grips, folksy indie rock, all sorts of experimental stuff, American transcendental black metal, a mass blurring of genres)

this is the starting to wear me out, i'm surprised a thread like this got me so angry
basically, we are alive in amazing times. if you wanna cry about not being able to come home after school and watch cartoons on TV (dying medium) before going to the local playground with your friends in your suburban utopia like a fucking 8 year old, great, but welcome this era is long gone

>Because you're in your early 20's and miss your childhood.
>Personal attack

>he doesn't feel nostalgic for the time when blizzard games were god tier and all the RPG maps people made with the wareditor

you missed out senpai.

To give an example of new music, as this user says: Porter Robinson's "Worlds" album

youtube.com/watch?v=HAIDqt2aUek
youtube.com/watch?v=Ardc3nrQMxw

this is the future

What a shitty meme

>name anything recent that would match the quality and wholesome positivity of:
early wow.

>he has to pay for shit cable tv cartoons
the acceptable answer would be: streaming tom & jerry on youtube

It's not a meme. Steven Universe is "wholesome", "positive" and "innocent", and despite what the rabid cunt-lickers on tumblr make it seem like, it's not pandering.

Steven Universe is trash friend

pic related is but one

wow I forgot about the VIDYA

>6th and 7th generation consoles
>Call of Duty
>WoW, SC2, Diablo 3
>Runescape
>Elder Scrolls (primarily Skyrim)
>the rise of phone games (Angry Birds, Tiny Wings, Pokemon Go)
>Rockstar's masterpieces: GTA IV/RDR
and these are just the ones I experienced

also Harry fooking Potter, the rise of YA lit (John Green), a high-point? in the celebrity culture that has been stewing for decades, all that feminism/rape culture/BLM/mass LGBTBBQ social justice bandwagon and its co-opting by public figures for popularity points

Pretty much this. The 80s and 90s are making a resurgence because the people who were coming of age in the 80s and 90s have achieved the economic clout for media to cater to them.

>underground bands
>posts death grips
What's next, Swans? GY!BE? You pretentious fucking hipster, I already know about /mu/core

stop shitposting.

Nothing much happened in the 00-10s. Usually technology alone makes it look way different from decade to decade. 80-90s are vastly different by this fact alone.

Harry fooking Pooter is 90s son

>EDM scene in North America
EDM in NA is 80s, son

>ascension of hip hop
that was in the 80s, son
00s thoroughly masturbated the last drop from the flacid, wrinkled, and weathered thing you call "hip hop"

>rise of festivals
raves in warehouses in the 80s, son

do you mosh?

>death grips
>good

>crime rates in the states are down

and still the youth is not participating in social activities that defined the youth of the pre-internet

what about:

Bionic Six
Wonder Years
D.A.R.Y.L.
Weird Science
Spaceballs
Mad Max
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
Short Circuit
Little Shop of Horrors
The Running Man
RoboCop
The Fly
Howard the Duck
The Dark Crystal
Tron
BeastMaster
Conan the Barbarian
Mannequin
Teen Wolf
Roger Rabit
Remote Control
The Jerk
Hercules
Earth Girls Are Easy
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Top Secret!
National Lampoon's Vacation
Spies Like Us
¡Three Amigos!

advanced autism

>Shit like Rick & Morty, BoJack Horseman, Regular Show, Adventure Time.
these are all terrible cartoons
listen buddy, just because your dumb stoner humor/millenial cynicism cartoon has a couple swear words doesn't make it good.

because subconsciously you recognize that the 80s were the high-water mark of human civilization and the 90s was when it began to recede as we lost control and handed it over almost entirely to computers.