Can you teach me about Pre-christian Europe

>beliefs
>way of living
>tribes or kingdoms or nations
>conflicts
>trade

Thanks

In particular the gauls, britons, germanics etc...

Most of those people didnt have writing until Christianity so information is scatce

The britons worshiped the river Thames,which provided them with food and water.

Then the christians came...

Interesting theory.

Just one river?

Read Asterix

hah i used to as a kid i should probably pick it up again.

Be more specific. I can answer questions about the Gaels, and to a lesser extent the Celts in general.

What is it you want to know.

>beliefs
Lots of gods
>way of living
Kangz, kwaynes, and republics
>tribes or kingdoms or nations
Lots
>conflicts
BIG

GREEK

SPEARS

>trade
Good

Who are the gaels what did they believe in how did they live what technology did they have what conflicts where they involved in? etc..

basically what was their history

read tacitus

why?

because he has a book called germania, you can google it and read it online for free.

ok cool i'll give it a read

all they did was fuck and fight, until some Romans and shit came over for da sweet lord Jesus

wew

>Who are the gaels
Speakers of Gaelic, which later diverged into Irish, Scottish and Manx Gaelic, which are for the most part mutually intelligible. They are known in Latin as Scotti.

>what did they believe in
Information is sparse but they had an indo-european pantheon, coupled with a host of local or natural gods and spirits, as well as a priestly caste of druids with important social functions. The druids are thought to have their own esoteric beliefs which they were forbidden to share or write down, so the nature of these beliefs is extremely poorly understood. The best we can do is compare and contrast Roman accounts of Gaulish druids and christian accounts of Irish druids and see what similarities exist and analyse the texts to see what can be drawn from them. It's possible they believed in reincarnation and in a cycle of destruction and rebirth of the world by fire and flood, but this is coming from distant accounts by biased authors so it's very tenuous. Irish mythology is rich and well documented, but it was written post-christianity so the sources are biased and gods aren't recognised as such exactly.

As for societal beliefs, society was built on very rigid concepts of class and a strict legal system. Sovereignty was a major issue, and kings were never secure in their rule, at least de jure. For example, a king was considered unfit to rule if he had a physical defect or gave wrong judgement. Sovereignty rituals were an important aspect, and a king was considered to be "married" to his kingdom. Taboo was a huge aspect of pre-christian Irish society.

I'll finish later I have to run off

how did they live what technology did they have what conflicts where they involved in? etc..

>they hadn't invented writing yet until after christianity, explaining the lack of information
>"interesting theory"
what

>theory

kek

Whats wrong with that statement?

It's not a "theory" that the Gauls, Britons and Germanics were illiterate societies prior to their conversion. It is a fact.

Mediterranean civilization developed literacy prior to Christianity but the same cannot be said of the barbarians.

I'm not disputing that.

Ok but calling a historical fact a theory is what created the confusion.

I didn't do that.

I pointed out that it is in fact a theory to say well the reason we don't know much about them is because they are illiterate.

>gravity is only a theory

Interesting theory.

I'm not the other party, but you sounded kind of sarcastic in your original post
and one generally has to assume the worst on Veeky Forums.

comparing physics theories to historical theories

i was being sarcastic because and truthful at the same time

Interesting theory.

I hope this catches on.

it certainly never will with people like you around perpetuating "it"

Does not apply to all European pagan religion though.

Interesting theory.

Interesting theory.

Good. Now go ye and spread the word to every thread, discussion and board on 4chin.