I've been considering an e90 335i or e60 535i lately

I've been considering an e90 335i or e60 535i lately.

You know, some kind of shitty but quick dad-mobile. But I can't pull the trigger on it because BMW and reliability issues with the N54.

Recommendations on comparable shitboxes around $15,000?

E46 M3?

>Dad-mobile

I mean, I can stuff my kids in the back, but they're basically going to be eating their knees.

Neither. They don't have dipsticks. I'd go buy a clean E39 or E38.

e60 530i or e90 330i.
>but they're basically going to be eating their knees.
They're not to bad but e90 is somewhat smaller so I wouldn't recommend.

2nd gen Lexus IS350

Lexus or G35...G35 is more sportier than Lexus (2nd gen). But less refined than Lexus.

DO NOT buy one that has been modified and DO expect to pay out the ass when your turbos need to be replaced and your electric water pump fails.

I have an 2009 e92 (coupe). The N54 isn't bad since they extended warranty coverage on turbos and high pressure fuel pumps.

The water pump will almost certainly need replaced. Injectors/coils eventually go, thoguh I haven't changed mine and I'm at 80K.

There's actually plenty of leg room in the back as long as your passengers are

Get a newer 335i with the N55, G37s, or a third-gen IS350 F-Sport if you wanna have fun without worrying about reliability.

Only slushboxes available with them though, right?

G35/7 is ugly as sin. And after working on VQs, I don't like them that much.

That's the plan. This is basically my first car I don't intend to ruin with bad decisions (we'll see).

Thanks for the input. I replaced a friend's, and it wasn't too terrible of a job. At least it's not run by the timing belt like my last VW. Most of what I can find in my price range is > 80k; they seem to just vanish after 130k, so I'm not sure if they're eating themselves and going to junkyards, or if people aren't racking up mileage.

Also, N55 is out of my price range, LCIs are >$25k around me.

>dad mobile
>Not e39
With that cash you could bulletproof a 530i wagon.

>e39
>Not suggest 540i

Every BMW thread is filled with uneducated fucks. E39 is shit. E46 is shit. E38 is shit. Get with the times kids. Come back once you've owned them.

straight six is gudder

the fuel cap is open on that m5
wtf

I've owned 5 BMWs and 2 E46s
One of the best cheap daily drivers you can buy

$15k will only grab you a multi-owner, higher mileage E46.

E46 has the problem too. I had to use a magnet to hold mine closed.

Guy is tossing the car around too. Probably why it opened.

But they may actually lock unlike E46 gen doors????

How are they shit? Enlighten us uneducated fucks.

Been an E46 M3 owner for 5 years. Even more mechanically sound than my Acura and that's a reliable car.

Dont buy anything 3 series sized for a dadmobile. At least get the 5 series, although on your budget I would skip luxury and get a used Pontiac G8. Then you get size and fun.

An E39 M5 would be rad. What are those going for?

The post was about an e90, which outperforms any previous generation in every conceivable way. Cosmetics aside which is subjective, there is no reason to consider the previous generation other than finances.

>outperforms

My 01 M3 I bet is better on paper and irl.. What you see online for them is very conservative.

>every conceivable way

fun
styling
weight

in all seriousness for $15k the only comparable car is the E46 M3 which has its own similar issues (subframe, cooling system, valve adjustments every 30k miles).

2010 E Class. Newer body style and very affordable. I have a turbo diesel model and it is fun as hell to drive. Reliable and kids fit in the back very well.

I would personally go for the 530 instead. That engine is pretty reliable. If you have the balls and the know how an e39 would probably be a lot more rewarding if you actually replaced everything that was broken and preform a full service upon purchase.

I made it to 117k miles on my stock cooling system. Zero leaks. No indication of any imminent failure on the rad or wp. Wp impeller still had a lot of resistance too.

My subframe was done up in the 40k mile range. Can't really comment on that but don't think it's as severe as you see online.

And valve adjustments are easy on this motor. Easier to get to than the throttle bodies on this car imo. I tracked my car for the first three years and I rarely had to actually adjust and I've over-revved this car many times when downshifting. Imo, the 30k mark is for a mix of daily and track use since the car was built for the track. If you just want to daily and not beat you're good without ever having to worry.

By the way I own an e36 m3 (manual) an e60 530xi (manual) i just sold my e92 335i (manual) and i have an f30 328xi(auto) . I personally will not be purchasing another new bmw in my lifetime unless they change their design significantly . The new bimmers are trash. My in laws have an m4 and a 640xi and they are maybe acceptable but not compared to the competition. The e60 has a way nicer interior than the new 5 series and has a much more desirable drivetrain. Go for the e60 if you have children.

This is one area where E46's are prone to ripping. Zero stress on mine.

That's just BMW quality panel gaps

And as OP stated, real issue is the rear seats on the car.

As you can see, not even large enough to fit my sunglasses through horizontally.

If I had kids though they'd just have to make-do. Nothing will pull me from this car unless it's another.

Yeah, the well known problems have been sorted out. The things to watch out for (more common failures) are the oil filter housing gasket, valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, and rear main seal. Those last two are particularly troubling.

Also, it will require maintenance like walnut shell blasting to keep the valves clean. It will consume oil, guaranteed. This can be mitigated with certain modifications/part replacements.

Keeping that in mind, the N54 is basically the closest thing to a 2JZ or RB26 that you can buy for an affordable price. Responds very well to mods, but because it's an open deck block it becomes a ticking time bomb over 700 hp/tq.

Mine has been a daily driver for 1.5 years now. I've been slowly modifying it. Started with brakes, a few bolts, and COBB AP. Very reliable DD, if meticulously taken car of. Also, the flat torque curve is addicting.

Might aswell go full on ascended-dad and get a 540d with LSD.

No stranger to intake valve cleaning. Currently own a MK5 Volkswagen and have cleaned by intake valves/runners twice since I've owned the car.

Good to know about the rear main though, first I'm reading of it.