Cults

Post a worse cult.

PROTIP: [spoiler]You can't.[/spoiler]

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Marks_of_the_Church
google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi3zbyiqq_OAhWGpY8KHbYIAYkQFggmMAE&url=http://www.academia.edu/185285/Why_Luther_is_not_Quite_Protestant_The_Logic_of_Faith_in_a_Sacramental_Promise&usg=AFQjCNEyW3XfXB9qm3vtd3-V573bCFVxcA
rationalwiki.org/wiki/National_Sunday_law
rationalwiki.org/wiki/Fundamentalist_Mormonism
rationalwiki.org/wiki/Nation_of_Islam
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>1914 END OF THE WORLD LUL
>1918 END OF THE WORLD LUL
>1925 END OF THE WORLD LUL
>1957 END OF THE WORLD LUL
>1973 END OF THE WORLD LUL
>1995 END OF THE WORLD LUL

Are Seventh Day Adventists a cult?
What about Mormons?

Yeah, these are cults.

Cults are often heavily defensive and proclaim THAT THEIRS is the ONE TRUE CHURCH.

You just described every christian.

I'm a Catholic but actually respect a lot of Protestant Churches. I only consider the SDA, the JW, and the Mormons to be the cults among the many Protestant denominations. We're not really that offensive.

WE WUZ CHOZUN

SDAs were formed out of failed second coming prophesies. They also believe the worshipping on Sunday is worshipping the Sun god, paganism and muh true Sabbath is Saturday (we wuz jews). and believe in YEC.

I was heavily exposed to a lot of Christian denominations. We were neighbors with an Evangelical Protestant minister, and she's a really nice person.

I have no beef with Protestants. We usually have minor differences. It's with the JW, the INC, the SDA and the Mormons that make me cringe whenever they proselytize. JW are particularly creepy, because they rewrote the Bible for their own beliefs. Disgusting.

So were JW's.

See

>I have no beef with Protestants. We usually have minor differences.
Justification is the article upon which the church stands or falls

I used to be a catholic, but even if you dont say that yours is the 'only one true church' you cant deny that there are some catholics that do say that, and not only catholics, every christian says his is the right way, some, the only way.

SDA JW and Mormons reject the 5 solae, they are not Protestant

westbaptist church
>pic unrelated

Isn't Mormon mythology/theology even more distant from mainline than JWs? Don't they believe in ancient jewish races inhabiting the americas, and Jesus' appearance in America after the resurrection or something?

at least they only have

That pretty much officially describes over 60% of christianity.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Marks_of_the_Church

why did you leave?

Not him but I left when I realized after studying theology and scripture that salvation is by faith alone

daily reminder that faith alone is dead faith

That's not biblical
What James means by "faith without works is dead" he means people with faith will behave a certain way.

Scientology

/thread

THE WORLD WILL END IN 1914 CUZ IT'S THE SECOND COMING OF CHRIST

THE WORLD WILL END IN 1918 CUZ WORLD WAR AND CHRIST DELAYED

THE WORLD WILL END IN 1925 CUZ JERUSALEM WILL BELONG TO PALESTINE

after ten more predictions

we're still here

That's exactly what that means, though. Faith not shown through works is dead faith. What does Our Lord say to Moses during that integral part of the OT narrative, just prior to the 'I AM'? 'Take off your shoes!' At face value, this might seem to be referencing a kind of ritual purity - but, in reality, it is referring to monotony. Remove what is dead when you enter in the presence of the all holy! Let prayer be active, let faith be lived. What use is Faith when that creative force which binds us all, Love, and which sent down Our Lord, is not seen? What use are burnt offerings, or incense? Our God is a God of love! Our God is a God of creativity, a God of such humility that he would make himself to live among sinners in order that he might lift them up. We must follow His example, wouldn't you agree?

Mises.org

[citation needed for 1995]
The 1975 prediction was from "The Truth That Leads To Eternal Life" ((1968) Watchtower Bible And Tract Society). This date was removed from the second edition in 1981. In all editions, 108,000,000 copies were printed in dozens of languages.

>Isn't Mormon mythology/theology even more distant from mainline than JWs?
Sure:
The main (my opinion) reasons for Christian abhorrence of Jehovah's Witnesses are:
1. Rejection of the Trinity
2. Their use of "Jehovah" (instead of LORD in all caps) as the personal name of God in the 6,800 times that the Tetragrammaton appears in the OT. (See appendix A4 to the "New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures" (3rd Ed. (2013) Watchtower Bible and Tract Society).
3. Their proselytizing.

The Luther version is ironically more Catholic than one would like to admit

google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi3zbyiqq_OAhWGpY8KHbYIAYkQFggmMAE&url=http://www.academia.edu/185285/Why_Luther_is_not_Quite_Protestant_The_Logic_of_Faith_in_a_Sacramental_Promise&usg=AFQjCNEyW3XfXB9qm3vtd3-V573bCFVxcA

I studied Scripture and Christianity's history only to disbelieve in Protestantism
a)Sola Fide and Sola Scriptura not found in the Bible at all
b)Any sort of concept of Jesus being some scapegoat or punching bag for God the Father is in fact non existent in Early Christianity
c)Despite all the differences in the various Church Fathers, they are still consistent with regards to the basics of their soteriology unlike Protestants
d)The Early Christians and even the Bible itself shows the very idea of intercession of the saints and invocation contra Protestant assertions
e)Marian piety and devotion in the Early Church is more than how Protestants can take
f)There is one consistent theme of the Eucharist and Baptism, they both oppose any un-realist notion or that which denies regeneration.

Some of them for sure.

rationalwiki.org/wiki/National_Sunday_law
rationalwiki.org/wiki/Fundamentalist_Mormonism

I'm happy JW call their God Jehovah and not Yahweh or anything. It's litle details like that which add a perfect pinch of cultiness. I get a strong People's Temple vibe from them

End of the 1914 generation. Approximately 80 years?

YHWH => JEHOVAH

the fuck learn to read dipshits

Nation of islam is worse

>The Nation of Islam is a cult chimera consisting of fringe Islam, black supremacism and Scientology-levels of crank magnetism.

>While professing to be followers of Islam, they hold little to no connection to the beliefs of Sunni or Shi'a Islam[1]. Unlike other forms of Islam, the Nation is messianic, believing Muhammad to have been the Son of God rather than a prophet. They also think that a fellow named Wallace D. Fard[wp] was God himself.

>Nation of Islam has traditionally been xenophobic and Black supremacist, to the point of naming all people of European descent "White Devils" and only "potential humans".[2] They believe the Jew is responsible for much of the evil done in this world; there are even off-the-cuff statements by members regarding AIDS being intentionally designed or administered onto the Blackman by Jewish doctors

>In the "Aliens, Bigfoot, and Creationism" category, Nation of Islam teaches that a mad scientist created other races from the Blackman through a special method of birth control.[4][5] The scientist, Yakuba[6] decreed that his creations would rule for 6000 years over the Blackman.[4]

>Cosmology: The NOI believe that the Sun and the Moon were once one source of light, and that the Earth itself is over 70 trillion years old. They also believe in UFOs, and claim that Ezekiel is describing a UFO in Ezekiel 1:15-18. Japan is the original source of the Evil Scientists and the UFOs.[13].

>Since 2010, Louis Farrakhan has been encouraging members of the Nation of Islam to waste their time and money by joining yet another cult study Dianetics.[14] He claimed it would be used as a tool for white people "to become 'civilized'".[15] To the surprise of nobody, Farrakhan later confirmed an official and ill-advised alliance with the Church of Scientology.[16]

rationalwiki.org/wiki/Nation_of_Islam

Reminder that religion is all made up anyway so faith alone for the sake of peace of mind is the only justifiable purpose of religion. Fuck off with your organization bullshit. Let em pray at home away from groupthink faggotry

>Poisoning your brain by learning to read ancient kike

Jew here; I don't get it why these Christian movements like to claim that they, and not the Protestant and Catholic churches, are the true descendants of ancient Israel when they like pronounce the tetragrammaton. Jews just read it as "Adonai"(LORD), out of respect.

Who gives a fuck about who's got special mojo passed down from the myth ancient kikereal. Fuckin loonies having pissing contests over imaginary lineages. Might as well argue about which anime character is best girl its the same level of irrelevancy. Religion is a drug for the brain and your hooked. Isreal is stolen land. Fuckin Bible even openly admits it was stolen from the original inhabitants after they were slaughtered.

Is there any church that don't claim this?

> Oh you're looking for the one true church? Sorry we're just doing this for shit and giggles, no truths here.

Jews actually are canaanites. that conquest never happened. it's nothing but ancient we wuz chaldeans n shit

sorry for the delay, i fell asleep, anyways i left catholicism maybe because it just wasnt enough good of an explanation for me, i decided to read the bible for myself and what i read i felt was different from what i was taught, and the explanations from priets werent enough for me, i dont know what it was specifically, this was when i was a child.

I meant kid, not child, i wasnt that young, english is not my native language.

>Cults
>Bad
Cults are the highest form of human social cohesion and therefore the highest form of evolution
90% of the time nothing is actually wrong with the organization- the govt. In question just wants its property (the people) back

/pol/

www.heavensgate.com

Doesn't Islam have that whole "people of the book" thing going on?

Also the various pagan cults in Europe weren't terribly big on the idea that they were the one absolute truth.

I know there are some wanabe christfags on this board. PLEASE stay away from this cult. It will take generations for my family to be rid of all the mental illness this shit ultimately caused. I would rater into mormonism TBQPH, senpai

One JW (my friend) who's a smart guy, actually just doesn't bother with the shit his cult has. But he explained that it was taken from the Greek translation of the ... translation of the Bible?

Then I watched Witnesses of Jehovah on YT and a Greek scholar BTFO their Jehovah lulz.

>a)Sola Fide and Sola Scriptura not found in the Bible at all
Where you reading KJV? Literally the most famous verse is a sola fide proof verse

Yes.

But what Protestants do is to simply pick that bit and simply ignore the other parts that demands and makes clear the effort needed in holding on to the gift of liberty and shit.

And also, just because someone says "Sola Fide" does it suddenly mean that that person is talking of it as formulated by Protestants.

It pisses me off whenever Protestant friends of mine show me a quote mine from Chrysostom or a list of other fathers from some shitass apologetics website.

Enjoy hell, reprobate

lmao

can't even answer my point. Truly a cultist

It is through faith alone you are saved by the grace of god.

If you do not have the faith to accept the completed work of Christ on the cross,you are following a different gospel and are damned.

We are told that God acts first hence enabling response through Faith. But this "Faith" involves a whole shitload of effort as the language of Paul makes very clear.

Paul says one walks in the spirit, one must hold fast to the liberty given to them. He uses Abraham as the example of faith but when one sees Abraham's situation, it involves a whole dilemma of choosing between God's commands or his son. It is a hard situation where he is not a passive thing.

Paul also tells us that he works out his salvation in fear and trembling.

These themes make it clear that even if there is no system of merit involved, one is still gonna have to act and put in effort.

>But how about God’s work. So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure. (Philip. 2: 12, 13)

> it is God who is at work in you
It is God who is at work in the believer, both to will and to work for His good pleasure BECAUSE we are saved, not to become saved.

>just as you have always obeyed
Strange isn't it.

That in itself tells us that if any, God working in the person is not one that somehow strips them of free will or even acts as a mind control like you believe since that would make the statement of obedience ridiculous.

Then there's the aspect of working out our own salvation with fear and trembling, making clear that this is not a passive process for the human will but active, one where the human being will submit and obey God through which he will work in us.

Should your view be correct, Paul's own language regarding the matter would in fact be contradictory for how can it be God working in the human and the human being does nothing, yet the statements of obedience and needing to work ones' salvation in fear and trembling.

That is an absurd contradiction

Believers obey the gospel by choosing to believe the gospel. Keeping His commandments is not forced for genuine believers.

>Enjoy hell

How Christian of you.

Except Paul's language is evident that passive belief is NOT the "faith" he is talking about.

It is a faith which MUST be lived. Hence any form of "belief" or "faith" in this case must take into account the need to live in accordance to it, not to merely place blind faith or belief.

Language such as "obey" or "hold fast" makes this so clear that anyone who tries to deny this is inevitably, denying Paul