Is democracy's biggest enemy a good autocrat?

Is democracy's biggest enemy a good autocrat?

>good autocrat

depends on what you mean by that family

no, it's republicanism

As in a enlighted as fuck autocrat like Firedrich der Große

Pic related also.

Just someone that thanks to his absolute power changes the fuck out of the common plebs and populace for good

Democracy's biggest enemy is the reality of voting plebs. Same goes for Republicanism. Universal suffrage is the death of any governmental system that allows voting.

Democracy's biggest enemy is an overly expanded voting franchise.

This person is correct.

This person is wrong.

Tyranny of the majority, tbqh.
That's why I'm worried about calls for an elected House of Lords

This. People ask me why i advocate for a bicameral parliament.
DUDE, IT'S FURTHER FROM DEMOCRACY LMAO

>Victory Kaiser Reinhard

Whoever made this is pants on head retarded. There are two words in Sieg Heil and he thought Sieg meant Hail

>Reply
The idea that an authoritarian system, whether absolute or oligarchical, is less corrupt than a modern democracy is simply laughable. an authoritarian system REQUIRES corruption in order to function. Let me put it like this, any authoritarian leader maintains his power through the loyalty of certain groups. in the case of a feudal monarchy it's the landed aristocracy, in the case of a modern junta it's the military. In all cases the authoritarian must serve those groups needs instead of the nations. If he does not those groups withdraw their support and he is overthrown. This means that the state is specifically designed to cripple itself for the betterment of the autocrats supporters over the interests of the nation. Thus because the law is not meant to address their needs and is not allowed to be changed to do so, the population must turn to either corruption or revolution in order to survive, both of which harm the nation yet again.

no, a weak state is

>good autocrat
Go read diogenes

No, the biggest enemy to democracy is when the leaders and government they represent start deciding to not being responsive to the needs of the people. People want a responsive government, regardless of whether it's democratic or autocratic.

Democracy's biggest ennemy is democracy.

I can't wait for the coming ruling artificial superintelligence.
Enough of this sociopathic jews bullshit.

That's what they say in the show to be fair.
Also it's amusing because his BFF/buttbuddy is called Siegfried but that didn't ring any alarm bells apparently.

Democracy is its own worst enemy.

This

Checked. One of the best shows desu, once you get past the prelogue

Firstly I have to stress that by democracy I mean strictly that, a political system which we call democracy. So lets not equate it with anything else. So if you ask for what's the biggest danger to democracy, lets not treat the question as "what's the biggest danger to freedom/justice/equality".

That out of the way, logically speaking and also observing the history, the biggest enemy to democracy seems to be tough times. Whenever shit hits the fan people cry for swift measures to be taken and they're willing to discard any laws that stand in the way.

How isn't any of that applicable to democracy?

Politicians offer services for power, whether to connections, other powerful people or voters of specific interest groups, doesn't matter. It can still be reduced to political feudalism. Difference being the top rungs make and break coalitions and policies instead of alliances and treatises, but it's still the same powerplays and the lower rungs are pretty much cattle.

Just go around the US and ask people about whether they feel they're being represented in politics or not. And that's the flag bearer of the democratic West we're talking about here.

There's a multitude of ways the "will of the people" (in the rare cases it even constitutes a force) can get fucked over without having to resort to tanks and riot police run down people with signs. But just because you don't have blood on the streets doesn't mean everything's going swell and everyone's okay with what's going on.

Agreed.