Rotary question

Is it true you can't hydrolock a rotary?

a friend of mine is telling me if some water gets inside the cumbustion chambers, the seal will break before any catastrophic damage and water would just be pumped out of the combustion chamber

you can hydrolock them, you just need a fuckload of water and need to be doing something monumentally stupid

alright then, the question is, more or less water than a comparable piston engine, I googled it and apparently it takes more water to hydrolock than a comparable psiton engine, is this tru Veeky Forums?

just put a snorkel and you'ill be fine

i'd assume cranking the engine over would force the water out the exhaust ports even if a lot got dumped inside.

Idiot you had 2 people tell you it is why do you keep asking

>hydrolock
things that never happen aka meme problems

local gas station ended up somehow getting a large amount of water in their tanks which caused 40 something cars to lock up before even getting out of the driveway

>you it is
I understand that, but i want to know if it takes more water or less water i.e if a rotary is less prone to hydrolock

google shows nothing

i would be so fucking pissed
how the fuck can that happened did they got scamed or somethings ?

That's not hydrolocking you dumb fuck. That is simply that water isn't flammable.

Who gives a shit, are you planning to 4wd a rotary car through a river? What does it matter how much fluid it takes to hydrolock it.

that not the real issue water isn't compressible so it breaks or bend stuff

supposedly the owner had bought left over gas from another station that had closed down and had it put into his tanks. the other station closed about a year before so those tanks sat there collecting condensation all that time. heard he had it all filtered out after and it turned out the gas he had bought was something like 65% water

are you retarded?

>who gives a shit
me

>4wd a rotary car through a river?
that gives me an idea

No liquid is compressible moron.

>are you retarded?
No, are you? How would water in fuel hydrolock an engine.

where the fuck do you think the fuel goes?

Hydrolocking is when there is a greater volume of liquid inside the cylinder than the cylinder's volume at TDC

Even if the liquid was gasoline, it would still hydrolock, because the crank can no longer turn without something breaking

It is sprayes into the inlet manifold. As soon as there is too much water to ignite, the engine stops, and the injectors stop injecting fuel. The engine doesn't hydrolock. What's your job btw?

And? The point is, that water in your fuel doesn't cause hydrolock, or is it too difficult for you to follow the thread? Your engine can get hydrolocked from a leaking head gasket, a stuck injector (in certain instances), or injecting water I'm the intake. It CAN NOT hydrolock from getting water in the fuel tank. Fuck, is all of Veeky Forums this retarded?

if your fuel is mostly water it'll lock up. diesel mechanic

No, it won't. It'll fuck your fuel pump and injectors, and the engine will stop running. Light vehicle mechanic, diesel mechanic, and auto electrician.

THATS a 3800 lol. good ole head gaskets. mine were pretty full too. the whole left bank had gone.

I don't think you understood the concept of hydrolock

not, because it would need the valves to open and they don't until its already in a position where it can't compress the water in the cylinder anymore. If however you removed the spark plugs, and gave it a crank, it would blow it out the sparkplug holes, but you would still have water left inside so you'd want it to dry out for a little while, and then throw a little oil in the cylinder to replace what was washed out by the water.

Then again I've never had to do this and its all speculation.

Water is incompressible for all intensive purposes. If the amount of water in the engine at any given moment is greater than the compressed volume of the combustion chamber, then something will break and/or stop (hydrolock).

Rotaries compress stuff, so it applies to them as well. As for how much, go calculate the combustion chamber volumes between the engines you are comparing.

>compress
>water

Engineer here. You are correct.

Water in the tank gets atomized and flashed to steam very fast. Water in the intake stays liquid right to the valve.

And besides, compressible or not, the injectors can't possibly inject enough fluid to lock a running engine. They can't do that with gas so they can't do it with water either. The engine simply dies by lack of fuel and the ECU stops triggering the injectors.

You can't compress water retard

Go read up on how a combustion engine works

Why does someone need to be an engineer to possess this knowledge
It's physics 101

hum that was wrongly formulated but i didn't say other liquids were compressible

>t. clueless apprentice getting big on the internet

you don't learn about engines until physics 102. It is clear that you have never had a proper course in physics. You're probably a high school drop out if your dumb ass things this material was covered in physics 101 (the mechanics portion)

You don't but it's nice to hear it from someone who has proof that they know 100% what they are talking about.

Thank you. At least someone here can use their brain.