What does Veeky Forums think?

Is empathy necessary for human survival?

Why or why not?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stag_hunt
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingroups_and_outgroups
plato.stanford.edu/entries/altruism-biological/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What a ridiculous question.

We have no other reference point to judge.

If mothers didn't have empathy they wouldn't raise children

Obviously not.

> If mothers didn't have empathy they wouldn't raise children

Why would that be a action out of empathy? Isnt the survival and health of your offspring vital to surivival of your own species and your genes, therefore wouldn't it be more of a survival tactic than and emotional reaction?

> no other reference point to judge

Enlighten me senpai. What the fuck dies that even mean?

children are often obnoxious and difficult to be around. even with empathy parents often kill their children (by shaking them too hard for example) so i think its fair to assume that infant mortality would skyrocket if people didnt have empathy

It's a evolutionary advantage for mothers to empathize with their offspring if they are long-term single offspring mammals.

Something like an insect or fish can just blow out 1,000 eggs and take off.

Yes. Being nice is an extremely rewarding strategy for social creatures, according to game theory.

Fair point. What about the argument "war creates technological advancement"? Isn't the whole essence of war is an utter lack of empathy?

they wouldnt raise daughters*

"Being nice" & having empathy are 2 completely different things m8

They're related when it comes to survival.

Having empathy makes one more likely to take friendly or "nice" actions as opposed to hostile or neutral actions.

Yes

But I can be "nice" while im conning old people to scam them out of there money. Smiling in their face but doesnt mean i care about them.

There's a very short list of things that are necessary for human survival. Everything else is either beneficial or harmful.

I'd personally say empathy isn't necessary, but it is beneficial in small groups. A small group of people who are willing to understand eachother and to work together is always going to work out better than a small group of people who don't give a fuck about eachother. In terms of larger society? That's a lot more difficult to argue about and conceptualize.

That's hardly being nice. Maybe I chose the wrong word. "Beneficent action" should satisfy your autism.

> beneficent action

A conman is benefiting when he's getting you to give him his money. He's also tricking you into thinking that it's benefiting you.

But he isn't benefiting the other party in reality. "Action beneficial to the other party" is what you want me to call it? That's fucking autistic.

Ok so why should it benifit both parties

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stag_hunt

It is empathy
Empathy for your people and your nation.

Empathy for your ingroup's survival and goals outweighing the empathy for your outgroup.

But that doesn't benefit both parties, as anons above mentioned.

Also we're all the same species, where is the "out group" , how is it determined

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingroups_and_outgroups

If you only care about yourself, why would you care about the survival of your species after you are dead?

plato.stanford.edu/entries/altruism-biological/

Psychopaths exist, don't they?

Yes

Community

Everything that we do that survives is a way to overcome death. Therefore caring for the future of earth is a way to secure one's memory which will be remembered.