Xterra vs. 4Runner

2000s Xterra vs 2000s 4runner on a $4500 budget, help plix.

Also any other recommendations are welcome!

Other urls found in this thread:

culvercitytoyota.com/used/Toyota/2002-Toyota-4Runner-3b7517a60a0e0ae74e1acf5c46e00529.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'd rather have the 4 runner since they're more common and have a better aftermarket. Also here's some garunteed replies for your thread, OP.

THE XTERRA IS A GIRLS CAR!

You are going to get alot more xterra for 4500 than you will 4runner. Around here 4runners and tacos are ridiculously overpriced

I thought of that, but a "good" xterra is cheaper in my area than a "good" 4runner.

Pretty much this.

The rear bushings will be shot of the Xterra, they always are.

The 4runner is far superior but good luck finding one with that budget lmao

Ops pic is a second gen xterra, you'll need to be looking at the first gen 2000-2004 to get one for that cheap.

Is that in general? There are at least five in my area with the 4.0 liter engine that are in good shape.

For $4500? Make sure the AT hasn't leaked into the radiator. If it's a MT you're golden. I didn't think you could get a second gen for that cheap yet.

did they ever upgrade that nissan maxima engine?
or are they seriously running a 3.6L on that pigfat tank?

>be nissan
>want to save money
>put tiny sedan engine inside of truck

lots of engine metal was saved doing this

The 4Runner will end up being more reliable, I can guarantee that. Had one reach the 300,000 mile mark with minimal maintenance. I found one for 2k a couple years back but yeah, prices have become steep.

the nissan xterra is rather deceiving
it has a modern body styling which suggests lighter weight and typical modern features, but everything under the hood is bulky and heavy. this becomes apparent when you drive one. it feels exactly like a heavy truck. you can feel the weight and feel how it handles.

of course, there is where nissan engineering gets interesting. rather than pairing that heavy truck with a proper sized engine, they figure they can take advantage of the deceiving body styling and throw in a 3.6L engine to save money. because people who typically buy japanese offroading trucks don't actually know what they are doing.

you would think a tiny engine would save a lot of gas, but it doesn't.
it actually wastes more gas. there is an efficiency-zone for engine operation in regards to RPM/air intake/fuel delivery. putting a dickless motor into such a heavy truck just totally throws all of this out the window.
that engine is essentially performing double-duty. i would be extremely wary of any xterra after 180k engine miles
most american trucks go for 300k+ in the hands of a proper owner (someone who actually knows what they are doing)

Codex toad hold true for the 4.0 liter engine on second generation xterras?

toyotas are actually fantastic if you don't EVER drive on salted roads. toyota is the actually the most reliable manufacturer.
but its not much different than any other american manufacturer
you really have to know what you are doing,
people want toyota reliably because they are ignorant to how things work. any other american truck can be just as reliable, if not better, if you do the research. all manufacturers have bad years. you have to know what you're getting and you also have to purchase you used vehicle from the right owner.
toyota is extremely common, which means you have a higher chance of running into a shitty owner.
so you will actually be overpaying for even worse hardware then you would have gotten with a good american truck from a proper owner

probably,
just find actual knowledgeable owners complaining about MPG on some forums

im almost certain the nissan 4.0 v6 is just as dickless as their previous 3.6L

But what I'd you don't "know what you're doing"

What If you're an ignorant baboon like me who knows nothing about cars/trucks but just needs something a bit more rugged to ride around Michigan in?

It's not, the 4.0 is solid. Plenty of power. Have you driven a second gen?

Also, it was a 3.3, not 3.6. Wtf are you smoking?

do you like overpaying for japanese "reliability" meme?

do you like sucking down fuel while their engine bearings and cylinders are being warn down faster?

just goto carcomplains.com and do basic research on the american vehicle you want
this is not comprehensive but it really is good enough for what you need it for
you save money and you actually get a better truck this way

idk, i dont keep nissan cubic engine numbers stocked fresh in my mind
its irrelevant info. because nissan is garbage

both first gen and second gen have dickless motors which suck down fuel at the cost of the buyers dumb ass being scammed for buying chinese hardware

no, but at one point i was considering buying one, and did all the research
its a nissan 4.0
you also have to keep in mind its not really a 4.0 either, but more like a 3.6 which is been labeled as 4.0

the gen2 has slightly better fuel efficiency
very slight

>underbuilt
>overpriced

If you want a reliable 4x4 SUV, buy one that's built on a truck platform designed to be capable of more than the bare minimum you require. Overhead is a good thing when it comes to the strength of the parts on a 4x4.

This idea of refusing to save money and get more at the same time because you "don't need" something built to capable of that much is fucking retarded.

I'm getting an average of 18.8 over 16k miles. What's a 4Runner or whatever get?

>be from NJ
>live in the burbs outside newark
>think i'm country
>drive a dumbass cuck mobile
>never sees anything worse than wet pavement.

new jersey really is just as bad as shit island the manhatten

Shut up and buy a civic.

Get a fucking XJ.

4runner for aftermarket and better build quality, and much harder to break off road

Nissan has such shit plastic-y build quality

Thinking about that actually. How are they for hauling around friends? Are the rear seats comfortable?

>aftermarket meme
>build quality meme

$4000 addititonal toyota meme tax when you can get the same reliability with ford and MAYBE some gm

>considering unibody American built garbage

>but m-muh solid axle

Yeah its got a solid axle- a shitty, weak one.

If you need a daily, dont bother. If you want a trail rig/designated off roader, then maaaaybe consider one.

>reliable and Ford/GM in the same sentence

>ford and MAYBE some gm
>SUVs
What the fuck are you on about? The only good SUVs Ford made were the Bronco and Excursion. GM killed it on pretty much every fullsize SUV they've built. Suburban started in the 30s as an enclosed pickup and has essentially been the same thing ever since.

While the Excursion itself was great, Ford's model lineup didn't work with it well enough to compete with the giant that was and still is GM SUVs.

im trying to gauge how many people who visit Veeky Forums actually know what they're talking about

you really don't know shit, and yet somehow seem to be representative of Veeky Forums

This.
Although the anti Japanese 4x4 SUV dunce ITT seems to be far more cancerous

You don't like GM for some personal reason, so you try and convince people not to buy GM.

Since it's for personal reasons rather than logical, you can't actually argue against any point made for GM. So you just make posts accusing supporters of GM of not knowing what they're talking about. This is an area where you can "win" by some form of the word since it's impossible for anyone to disprove any point you make as you're not actually making any points.

Your hope is that one of two things will happen. The first is that they recognize you've made no point for them to disprove, and don't bother responding, making it appear to the uninformed audience that you were right and they are wrong, without you actually making a single point against what they're saying. The second is that they will take it as bait and sink down to your level of arguing like a fucking first grader with logical fallacies where you will beat them with experience or the entire argument will just be negated once it's turned into a shitfest, again, without you ever making any valid point.

Posts like the one you just made are what people do when they know the opposition to be correct but want to convince someone else otherwise.

>anti Japanese 4x4 SUV dunce

nigga this is literally you defending nissan

i'm in the market for a 3rd gen myself. i wish i lived in cali.

culvercitytoyota.com/used/Toyota/2002-Toyota-4Runner-3b7517a60a0e0ae74e1acf5c46e00529.htm

literally you trying to discredit Nissan

4runners are all going to be high mileage if they are the 3rd generation. Also will be out of your budget or maxing it out. Also very hard to find one thats not abused. You may have to travel an hour or two to get one if you find one.

Don't buy 2nd generation. I bough pic related and the 3.slow breaks my heart with how fuel hungry and terribly performing it is, while also being crammed in the bay and hard to work on. But it only has 170k miles and is manual with 4x4. Dumped about $500 in parts and 26 hours of my own labor into it, and could turn around and sell it right now with a blown head gasket and make about $2000 profit on it.

false, I found my 3rd gen with 75k miles and near perfect interior, with only minor superficial scratches on the exterior. I paid 5.5k, 6.3 after tax. In New Jersey.

When was this though?

>Hey, hey guys, I like heard on the internet that Jeep is bad at off road
>Hey HEY, stop paying attention to the fact that every trail ever sees more jeeps than anything else
>You can't go believing reality you need to listen to my memes cause I totally heard it's true

You don't even own a 4x4, please stop pretending to know what the fuck you're talking about.

You either didn't even read the post you responded to, or you linked the wrong one.

Lol buttmad ricer that got cucked by a vg33
Nissan vg/vq engines are great (owned both), keep benchracing from the bus stop

last winter bruh bruh

I wheel with exclusively jeeps, faggot. Theyre not bad off road but they have limitations like everything else, despite what the army of shills would have you believe.

Go ahead and buy a cherokee if you wanna spend more time in the junkyard than on the trails

oh and not my truck btw, i have a 3rd gen

>b-b-but mah domestic!

>
>I paid 5.5k, 6.3 after tax. In New Jersey.
>op budget is $4500
READ NIGGA READ

From a more practical perspective, 3rd gen 4Runner has a larger cargo space than either gen 1 or gen 2 Xterra, if that is at all important. Roll down rear window is just plain awesome. 3g 4Runner has better articulation front and rear than both generations of Xterra, again, if that is important. 4Runner 3.4L has a lot more balls than the wheezy VG33 IMO, but VQ40 on gen 2 Xterra is a beast. Also, watch out for noisy timing chains on early-year VQ40s, and cracked exhaust manifolds on VG33 (ultimately leads to cat failure). Overall reliability wise I'd give the edge to the 4Runner but again, at this age condition and upkeep matter more.

OP I'd shop more on condition. If I found a clean 4wd Xterra V6 I'd scoop it up in a heartbeat, and I say this as a 3G 4Runner owner.

Here's a bit of a wildcard: Mitsubishi Montero II and Montero Sport. Fullsize IIs are pretty rare and hard to find in good condition, but they are very reasonably priced when you do. Stupendously overbuilt rigs, closer to a Land Cruiser really. Montero Sport is much closer to an Xterra or 4Runner by design, in that it is based on a compact pickup truck. Sports are good trucks as well IMO, engines/transmissions are generally reliable, aside from some oil leaks from valve cover gaskets and such.

>Nissan Xterra comes with 4.0 v6 producing 261 hp and 281 tq
>Toyota FJ Cruiser comes with 4.0 v6 producing 260 hp and 281 tq
>Toyota 4runner comes with 4.0 v6 producing 236 hp and 266 tq
>Nissan Xterra gets ragged for having too small and weak of an engine
why?

Because if the intellectually disabled domestitard is to be believed, the VQ40 4.0 litre isn't a 4.0 litre, and is apparently smaller than some arbitrary capacity for this size SUV.

samefag, and a moron to boot.

VQ40 is an excellent powerplant, if a tad unrefined and thirsty. Makes good power and torque in its intended application. Chevy neutered the Colorado with their coroporate 3.6L V6, Toyota followed suit. Nissan is the final holdout with a 'true' truck motor in their compact/midsize truck.

>Nissan is garbage
What is
>180sx
>240sx
>Silvia
>Skyline
>GTR
And also those trucks they made in the 80's that go for 9999999999999999999999999 miles

Even then, a 3.halfish litre V6 is more than adequate for a 1/4 ton/midsize pick up/SUV. Especially given the broad output range they're capable of these days.
Gone are the days requiring a long stroke with a pessimistic camshaft to achieve slow RPM torque.

Most reviews of both the 3.6 in the colorado and the 3.5 in the Tacoma make note of the weak low end torque. Toyota gained all of 1-2 mpg with the shift to the new motor, and part of that I think was the 6speed auto and the aero improvements. I'd love to see a Colorado with the Silverado's 4.3.

save up more money then.

>What is
Not trucks or SUVs.

No idea but I had to take a guess it probably has to rev to the moon to make peak power. Peak power is a terrible way to compare engines in trucks and SUVs anyway.

wtf how does it have such little torque? An old three litre montero engine engine produces about 270-280nm of torque.

>No idea
No kidding.
>but I had to speculate without anything substantial to my claim
No kidding.

I don't think you understand the difference between lb/ft and Newton Metres.
For example, the 6G72 Montero you mentioned has around 200lb/ft.

Was there any point to your post? I openly admitted to having no idea. You imply that you do, but don't bother to disprove my assumption.

If you think I'm wrong, then please disprove me.

>Was there any point to your post?
Simply pointing out there's no point to any of your posts, and you have no assumption to disprove.

>any of
I'd only made one post at that point in time.

My assumption was that it had to rev to the moon to make close to peak power. Not sure how you missed that.

If you're going to "confirm" my assumptions false, it would make sense to actually counter them with something.

that makes sense lol

You certainly don't have to rev it to the moon, although that is fun. Very linear power band with a wide torque curve with plenty down low. One of my favorite test drives was a 6spd '15 pro4x xterra. It's a perfect urban vehicle IMO. Drop the clutch at the light and scoot ahead of traffic with a nice tire chirp, it's a very satisfying vehicle to drive. I think 0-60 is in the 7 second range on them?

The rear seats are a bit cramped, if you have tall friends anyway. If you are hauling grills around like you should be they'll have enough room.

I love my xterra, but the roll down rear window on the 4Runner (and tundra) has me pretty jelly.