Why isn't there much shitposting about Buddhism here...

Why isn't there much shitposting about Buddhism here? Is it because not many westerners actually come into contact with buddhists, or because it has a more philosophical bent than the other big religions?

Is it because he was right?

Buddhism is basically the Tom Hanks of religion: you can't really dislike it no matter how hard you try, even ironically.

Thus it makes shitposting harder.

In the west it's a religion for emotionally shallow consumerists who change convictions every time they wake up
In the east there are many, many different sects out there and relatively few people actually trained in Buddhist epistemology.

It's also pretty violent in defense of itself in places that are actually Buddhist. There's some militant-ass Buddhists in the world, and there have been throughout history. Western Buddhists irritate me because I feel like they've given up on their own cultural heritage and only feel lost because they've never truly embraced it.

Buddhism = Oriental Catholicism basically

>befriend the meek and the poor with promises of salvation
>absorb every minor secular cult encountered
>become a religious mafia ruling over a huge ass real estate
>use army of hobo-zealots to pressure lords into joining your cult
>become state religion
>make money, fuck bitches
>get rekt trying to backstabb local superpower
>face the people wrath
>"muh religion of peace and understanding"

20 yo white people everyone

>tfw I'm a spic in my 30's

Go on.

Because Christianity overshadows everything religious on this board. It's like a giant tumor.

Seriously, start a Buddhism thread, I dare you. Christian-Atheist-Buddhist shitflinging will ensue.

Honestly, we need a dedicated Religion & Theology board.

Hermeneutics board please

This type of dribble here is a big problem when it comes to any kind of discussion about Buddhism. The self-hating Westerner who masturbates about how we're all too vapid and braindead to understand the glorious wisdom of everything that didn't come out of Europe and America.

It goes away when they have more contact with Buddhism and come to realize 1) There's absolutely nothing wrong with being an American or a European and 2) Buddhism isn't anymore difficult than any other religion.

I personally blame a lack of proper missionaries and proselytization. We only got a little bit in of Zen after WWII, but then that fell apart when DUDE DRUGS LMAO went way, and Vajrayana is mostly just DUDE THE DALAI LAMA, but he's too scared to actually do any missionary work lest China buttfuck Tibet even harder.

>cults
kys

tibetans love to spread their doctrine in the west. Even Zen are well represented. Only theravadans do a shit jobs at this.

How do modern Buddhists deal with all of the superstitious bullshit about their religion? Didn't the Buddha himself warn against believing anything just because it was written down, or accepting religious dogma simply because it was tradition, advising instead for people to believe whatever seems to hold up to reality? He rejected thing like gods and sacrifice as superstition, but in his time concepts like souls, karma or reincarnation were not as absurd as they are today.

But now it is the current year. How can you reject the existence of gods, but still believe in what is clearly superstitious hocus-pocus like reincarnation? Following the example of the Buddha, shouldn't Buddhists now reject many of the core beliefs of Buddhism, now that modern science has more or less shown us that there is no such thing as a soul and that life ends at death?

>being 20 yo and proud to have faith in scientific realism while never ever opened a book on science, history of science, philosophy of science
>2016

>He rejected thing like gods

He didn't

>But now it is the current year. How can you reject the existence of gods,

buddhists don't reject the existence of gods

>but still believe in what is clearly superstitious hocus-pocus like reincarnation?

they don't agree that its superstitious hocus-pocus

>Following the example of the Buddha, shouldn't Buddhists now reject many of the core beliefs of Buddhism,

no

>now that modern science has more or less shown us that there is no such thing as a soul and that life ends at death?

science hasn't shown that life ends at death or even that there isn't a soul, but buddhists have never beleived in souls anyway

>Is it because not many westerners actually come into contact with buddhists
yes

>buddhists have never beleived in souls anyway
Well how the fuck can you have reincarnation without a soul? This shit is starting to make even less sense than I thought.

Prince Gotama's original doctrine was absolutely secular.

what do you define as a soul?

where did you get this idea from?

there are two possibilities to read the word ''past life''.
-there is the rebirth interpretation like you said [and rebirth is the most retarded way to name it, become it is more birth than re-birth]
-the taking of experience as personal
which means that whatever you experience in daily life [people call this reality], your dreams and what you experience in deep jhana as ''past life'' is something that is not personal [because not permanent, uncontrollable, therefore stupid to take this seriously once you want to be happy]
it is true that some people live things in jhana which are ''like daily life'' and you live ''again'' ''previous'' experiences, but they are not personal. the whole point of this observation is to stop taking personally what you feel and think . THese past lives are not yours, just like your dreams are not yours, just like your daily reality is not yours

you do not need the whole mechanism about the rebirth to see the dhamma. THe second interpretation is always true and it is the one which counts.
There is no way to tell whether rebirth exist. perhaps yes, perhaps no.
BUT
without the faith in rebirth, there is no incentive for anybody below stream entry to take the dhamma. Most people who have not seen the dhamma totally loves their lives and even think that the dhamma is stupid.
At stream entry, what drives you to nibanna is the lack of permanence to be happy in what you think and feel.

So once more, before stream entry, you can care about rebirths, after stream entry you no longer care about this.
Also, once you deal with rebirths, nobody but the buddha knows how karma works [and it is not like I kill ants so I will be reborn ugly or I give food to hobos so I will be rich next life] and he even said that there is no point thinking about it [which is true as soon as you have right view [either by faith or at stream entry]

Buddhism is Cuckoldry: The Religion

I'd like you to actually back that up.

>Implying it wouldn't be simpler to rename Veeky Forums, /pol/ and /k/ as /wasp/, /nsdap/ and /kkk/.
I think it's time to stop lying to the newcomers.

See
>anyone who doesn't support my secular cult is an uneducated millenial and/or a nigger.

>self-hating westerner
Yes, indulging in and spreading racist clichees about cultures and belief we deem oh so exotic certainly is proof of their self hatred. They hate themselves so bad they still think they're better at understanding foreign cultures than the foreigners themselves !

Careful with the implications here buddy. Just because you think western culture has lost all value to relativism doesn't mean it really has. Western countries institutionalized relativism to protect and secularize their various original cultures and beliefs from foreign alienation. It's trickier than you think, and freedom of speech/belief does not mean an absence of proselytism.

>buddhism posits a soul
>he believes in the "you are going to be incarnated in a new body just like that lmao" conception of reincarnation
>he has a literally middle schooler's grasp of buddhism gleaned from clickbait and wikipedia skims
>le anime girl
>le superstitious bullshit
>doesn't even understand the historical and metaphysical context in which these teachings function

reincarnation is not your self being shuttled to a new body after death but the re-absorption of your "I" into the source principle of which you are a product to produce more "I"s in the future, unrelated to you except by origin

buddhism concepts of non-self, conditioned genesis, and impermanence, and the properties of samsara as a closed system endlessly recycling itself are well-supported by science

read more

>DUDE LE CURRENT YEAR

There are millions of people who do not agree with your definition of what we should accept as hokuspokus in these days and what not.
And they have power.
This power shapes realitiy and makes the CURRENTYEAR outside of the west, not that current at all.

You seem like you know your stuff.
What is a (bhuddist) deity made of?
How far goes its conciousness and what power can it have over you and this world and what is the basic reasoning why this is so?

>>What is a (bhuddist) deity made of?
no idea. buddhists say that you reach this state when in what they call arupa jhanas

How would a westerner go about embracing it then?

I'll shit post.

What do you guys think about meditation on corpses?
Last time I was in Thailand I had the opportunity to visit Loung Pordaeng at the Wat Khunaram in Koh Samui. But I understand that there are temples further into rural Thailand and in other parts of South East Asia where they keep corpses in various stages of decay on display for people to meditate upon and contemplate impermanence. I really want to try that some time.

Why not try it now? You don't need a corpse to do it my man.

Oh, I try, but I find it so hard to get that same sense of immediacy when I'm in a more sterile environment. I'm living in Madison, WI right now and I feel so divorced from reality living here that it makes it difficult to focus.

What about Wisconsin makes lose touch with reality?

In my five years living in Asia I've experienced open sewers, stray chickens, monkeys climbing in my window and stealing my stuff. These things always gave me a good reality check. Snapped me back to the present.
That's part of it.
Easy access to electronic distractions like the one I'm on right now certainly don't help.

And then there's the people, I guess. I shouldn't resent them. I should feel compassion for them. But it's important to associate with good people. It's important to get away from people that lead you astray.
There's a lot of people here who practice their own Westernized Buddhism as a sterile and purely intellectual exercise.
There's a lot of people here who have grown to adulthood without ever having to deal with the death of someone they have known or without ever really encountering death, so they just cannot grasp the idea of impermanence.
There's a lot of people here who talk a good deal of organic foods and cruelty free meat who have never seen their food slaughtered or ever eaten something still alive.
And there are a lot of people around there that feel that I am unlike them, and that makes my life very difficult.

But, the Buddha teaches us techniques to center ourselves so that we can live our lives and deal with difficult people. And I have to remember that.

I think the part about meditation in Buddhism is very interesting, and I think it has a lot of merit.

But being a person raised in a secular home and a secular country in general, I find it hard to not cringe at the metaphysics, just like I cringe at Christian or Islamic metaphysics.

I bet you do not cringe when complete strangers tell you a story about big bands, electrons and black holes, only because they are paid to tell this story and they wear a lab coat.

I see. Thank you master.

yeah it is nice to see how all that you like turns to shit, like they say, and this prevents you from being happy.
once you see this, you get stream entry.

You can bet all you like, doesn't make it true.

>now that modern science has more or less shown us that there is no such thing as a soul and that life ends at death

No it hasn't.