What if I choose to let an abstract concept influence my decision making over my own hedonistic desires?

What if I choose to let an abstract concept influence my decision making over my own hedonistic desires?

An abstract concept is not necessarily a spook.

all concepts are spooks

As long as it fulfills a preference you hold, the preference that in this matter you feel is most important, is that not simply hedonism?

And for that matter, even if an abstract concept is problematic/dubious or even complete bullshit, it is not necessarily a spook. A spook is an abstract idea that is used to control individuals towards an end that conflicts with their self-interest, basically.

>hedonistic
REEEEEEEE

If YOU choose it and it's your interest, it's ok.

I will never understand Veeky Forums's obsession with this guy

>inb4 'YA DUN BIN SPOOKED LOLO XD XD DX'

But what is self-interest, truly? Blind hedonism? Then you're going to fuck your shit up

Can somebody tell me what a spook is in philosophy? I'm not a native speaker and any online definition is one I'm already familiar with and doesn't really fit in the philosophical context.

Stirner is the only one who ever used that term and literally all it means is a fixed idea that influences your thoughts, feelings and actions.

Thanks, user. Is calling it a spook related to spooky as in something that seeks to have influence but doesn't hold any real meaning, e.g. supernatural ideas, or is it completely divorced from the usual meaning of "spook"? I'd heard the term used by Sam Harris as well when discussing Vipassana, I think.

>something that seeks to have influence but doesn't hold any real meaning, e.g. supernatural ideas
I guess? It's not that complicated. It's a spook, a ghost, a boogie man. It's not "real."

Well he pretty much ended philosophy. Even its own. That's why after Der Einzige he stopped caring about writing new stuff and he just responded to its critics.

I dont know what this image actually is but every time i see i think about lt. Surge

>Well he pretty much ended philosophy. Even its own
No you delusional moron, the reason he isn't talked about in academic circles isn't because he ended philosophy, (which can clearly be shown to be wrong by all the work on ethics done in the past one and a half century), but because he's literally some irrelevant Ayn Rand tier autist.

Mention spooks in actual front of actual philosophers and watch as you get laughed out of the building

Yeah that's what I was asking, since it wasn't mentioned in the original definitiom given to me.

Yeah laughed without argumentations though

How do you argue against "all ideology is a spook that controls your mind, all ideas are just empty words without coercive force?" Like yeah obviously ideologies aren't "real" but people still believe them and if you really want to have a conversation you have to keep going beyond skepticism.

sounds similar to gramsci theory of false consciousness

What is there to argue against?
>bruh it's all spooks just do as you want lmao
the same reason why solipsism and objectivism will get you laughed out

You could be saving up for greater hedonistic experiences later in life.

Just don't be fooled by people who promise you satisfaction after you die.

>Like yeah obviously ideologies aren't "real" but people still believe them
Yes, unconcious egoists serve spooks. This is not controversial.

But you didn't address my actual point at all. What effect does it have to just point out that ideologies are spooks and people "serve" them? I'm sure every politician and CEO already knows this. Those people are successful because they don't waste time pontificating about "spooks," they go out and take advantage of them. And those have have probably never read Stirner.

>What effect does it have to just point out that ideologies are spooks and people "serve" them?
That he, and everyone else who brings it up, wanted to. That is the purpose. It satisfied a desire.

>It satisfied a desire.
That's pretty lame if thats all it does

If you think it should do more, then that is also your desire and you are free to pursue it. However, it would probably benefit you to examine whether you are unconciously serving a spook or whether you are conciously making use of it.