Rare Accents

Does anyone else find this fascinating? Here's Basil Bunting speaking Northumbrian English, it's supposed to be the only accent of English to use the uvular R:

youtube.com/watch?v=eZ7greLmS3I

There's this really archaic accent from a part of Canada that's essentially an 18th century English accent, sounds a lot like Westcountry English although in the 18th century that was the accent of most of Southern England, even into Kent. Retains some of the vowel sounds that changed in the UK but were retained and evolved in the US.

youtube.com/watch?v=XBu5tWH4w9k

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GlvhzfWUCBQ
youtube.com/watch?v=03iwAY4KlIU
youtube.com/watch?v=AIZgw09CG9E.
youtube.com/watch?v=jW23Zd4X_DI
youtube.com/watch?v=bBvUfLUtaXM
youtube.com/watch?v=X5tUVaBbMcY
youtu.be/ckFEhgb4YRA?t=37
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ce/Alveolar_trill.ogg
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/af/Voiced_uvular_fricative.ogg
youtube.com/watch?v=aTL5zcD3Kq0
youtu.be/le_uNGdpa4c
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melungeon
youtube.com/watch?v=-Vb8qL2NTCw
youtube.com/watch?v=qkyEffwBYGg
folk.ntnu.no/andrewww/haegeman-weir-WF-yesno-CGSW29.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=rPs_KSdRcnY
youtu.be/sWAUrHODRWM
youtu.be/AIZgw09CG9E
youtube.com/watch?v=jcNHSQttUq4
youtube.com/watch?v=qYiYd9RcK5M
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Scouse also uses the uvular r, something it picked up from Welsh.

>it's supposed to be the only accent of English to use the uvular R:
It's not. In southeastern Ireland people do it too. It's really annoying and waterford/wexford people sound like absolute spastics.

Wrong thread?
Also, the chart mirrors population density.

If you're from Ireland, have you ever heard a monolingual Irish speaker/someone with broken English try to speak English? What do they sound like when they do? I'm curious because a lot of stereotypical Irish English features (obviously not all) are archaic English features that its retained rather than influence from Irish Gaelic.

That Canadian accent is from Nova Scotia.

>If you're from Ireland, have you ever heard a monolingual Irish speaker/someone with broken English try to speak English?
yep, all the time, I live in the west.

>What do they sound like when they do?
Their accent is the same as a native english speaker from Ireland but the grammar is more fucked up and they tend to stress words on the wrong syllable. In Irish (besides munster dialect) every word is stressed on the first syllable barring compound words so they don't really get when you're supposed to stress it in English so it's all over the place.

I'd be interested in hearing that.

Yeah, it's really weird hearing it when I live in a part of England that sounds almost identical.

>Monolingual Irish speaker

Would be surprised if these still existed desu

>Here's Basil Bunting speaking Northumbrian English, it's supposed to be the only accent of English to use the uvular R:

Doesn't sound like uvular R to me, more like alveolar trill/flap. Granted uvular trill can sound pretty similar to alveolar trill, but uvular R's are more often fricatives/approximants.

Consistent pronunciation of R as uvular trill specifically is pretty rare in any language, but Rudolf Heß does that in the opening speech of the Triumph of the Will:

youtube.com/watch?v=GlvhzfWUCBQ

>Would be surprised if these still existed desu
There's a handful, usually really young kids who haven't learned English yet, as well as a couple of really old people who don't go outside much.

There are plenty of second-language English speakers though, and it's pretty easy to tell.

>not available in your country
I sure love being German

An interesting Slovene dialect is the one spoken in Rezija in Italy, right across the border. It is a dialect that was influenced by Carinthian and Littoral dialects but remained in isolation for centuries. It is so distant from other Slovene dialects that it uses its own alphabet (like the Prekmurje dialect which was also isolated to an extent).

The picture shows the Lord's Prayer in Resian and here is the prayer in standard Slovene for comparison:

Oče naš, ki si v nebesih, posvečeno bodi tvoje ime, pridi k nam tvoje kraljestvo, zgodi se tvoja volja kakor v nebesih tako na zemlji. Daj nam danes naš vsakdanji kruh in odpusti nam naše dolge, kakor tudi mi odpuščamo svojim dolžnikom, in ne vpelji nas v skušnjavo, temveč reši nas hudega. Amen.

Interesting

Which Gaeltacht are you from and are you a native speaker yourself?

Do you feel that there's truth to reports of Irish slowly dying in Gaeltacht areas?

The ancient British accent of Latin was supposed to be incredibly exaggerated and posh. Presumably the result of the urban and villa elites of the province trying to impress their social superiors.

Can't remember my source though.

>Which Gaeltacht are you from and are you a native speaker yourself?
I live near conamara and have family in Dingle. I'm not a native speaker but I can speak Irish.

>Do you feel that there's truth to reports of Irish slowly dying in Gaeltacht areas?
Kind of, I think the bigger problem is that the local dialects are being homogenised.

I thought the same at first. But around 2 minutes, espeically after "remember blah blah blah" you can hear the uvula resonating (I have the slight feeling, resonate is not the right verb, but what the heck).

High Standard German allows 3 forms of the r. For the purpose of stupidity, I am going to call them after my stereotypical knowledge.

1) the french r, which I am myself are using. uvular fricative, sometimes called guttural r. This is the most sophisticated and spoken primarly in the north.

2) the spanish r. alveolar trill. mainly south germany.
-> as far as I know, those two cover all german dialects in germany, however, there is third option that, if one speaks it, is still considered Standard High German

3) the russian r. the one in the first video: uvular trill. according to wiki, there are 2 regions where it is supposed to be spoken. I haven't been to the very southwest, but I haven't heard anyone using that in/around Berlin (despite German-Russians obviously).

Anybody knows more about that?

What is the difference between the uvular trill and the uvular fricative? I listened to recordings of both and they seemed pretty much the same. Also, shouldn't the "Russian R" be rolled, instead?

Would you support a gradual return to a primarily Gaelic speaking Ireland?

????

It's not really a mystery that 99% of immigrants settle in cities.

>Would you support a gradual return to a primarily Gaelic speaking Ireland?
In theory yes, though that's more or less a fantasy atm. Ideally the country would be bilingual in Irish and English the way Malta is, and I would also like to see the Ulster dialect of Scots to be vibrant. All theoretical though.

Not the person you were talking to, but I would. Should've been done straight away after independence, but Cosgrave and those who came after him screwed it up.

Gearóid Ó Cuinneagáin had the right idea.

Another pretty interesting Slovene dialect group (not that all dialects aren't interesting) is the Rovte dialect group (blue on the map). It is a result of German (primarily Tirolean and Saxon) colonisation, mostly in locations where logging and mining were popular. These settlers mixed with the locals and fully assimilated, but their heritage left a mark. The dialect does not know the rolled r; rather, the people speaking the dialect pronounce the r sound the same way it's spoken in Gemany. As with most Slovene dialects, this one too knows many German loan words. In the north, the dialect's influence led to the creation of the Selca subdialect of the Upper Carniolan dialect group.

I might be an idiot but I am confused now. Tbh. I didnt look check out before what a trill acutally is and just inferred from my knowledge of english and OPs post.

YT gave me different options for a trill, to be honest. Maybe you link your examples?
I understand a trill as a steady back and forth or side to side motion. Basically what the tip of tonge does in spanish. So I thought uvular trill is when your uvula does this motion. Which then results in the sound of the russian r.

'normal german r is basically just 'hissing' with your throat.

I'm pretty sure the Germans and the French have the same R (the gargling one) and the Spanish and the Russians share the rolled R.

Uvular trill is not used in Russian (which uses an alveolar trill) - except few individual speakers, but this is considered a speech defect. This is a common phenomenom with all languages that have alveolar trill.

Uvular trill is occasionally heard in basically any language with guttural R, but it doesn't seem to be the most common R in any language (at least nowadays).

German and French R is basically the same - a guttural (uvular) one, most typically a voiced uvular fricative/approximant.

However alveolar R (trill or tap) has not entirely disappeared from German, but is considered a bit old-fashioned or dialectical.

youtube.com/watch?v=03iwAY4KlIU

This is my favourite American dialect along with this one: youtube.com/watch?v=AIZgw09CG9E.

Well i'm English and hope it happens. I stayed in Beara and some of the shit that went on there turns my stomach to think about. The least we could have done was allow you to speak your own language. No country should be cucked out of something like that, it's barbaric.

>I sound just like Walter Kronkite

>Kronkite

I looked him up and he had a certain charm to the way he spoke, although I'm sure he didn't sound the same outside the newsroom.

They both sound a lot like OP's second video, which sounds a lot like archaic English accents.

youtube.com/watch?v=jW23Zd4X_DI

I know that's a Cornish accent but you'd hear something similar even in the area east of London until the mid 20th century.

You can hear the "American" dipthongised A vowel in some old English accents too, like here, but you can also hear it in the southeastern accents that influenced South African, Australian and old school RP (the ae sound that made upper class people say "heppening" rather than "happening"). Dipthongise that ae and you get the typical American pronounciation "hayepening".

youtube.com/watch?v=bBvUfLUtaXM

Listen to how close this old New York accent is to those archaic English accents:

youtube.com/watch?v=X5tUVaBbMcY

I listened to the clip around 2 minutes and no, it doesn't sound like an uvular trill.

Listen at 0:37 for an exaggerated uvular trill:
youtu.be/ckFEhgb4YRA?t=37
The uvula vibrates.

Contrast with alveolar trill:
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ce/Alveolar_trill.ogg
(the tip of the tongue vibrates)

and with voiced uvular fricative:
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/af/Voiced_uvular_fricative.ogg
(the back of the tongue is raised but the uvula does not vibrate, air passes through a channel narrowed by the back of the tongue)

Voiced uvular fricative sounds similar to the ch after back vowels (Bach, Buch etc.), which is a voiceless velar fricative. Velar and uvular consonants sound very similar so most important difference is that the guttural r is usually voiced (but in some contexts not, and in those cases it sounds almost identical).

>Can't understand a damn thing they're saying
Yup, sounds like an English accent

Well, it certainly isn't a German dialect.

In Dutch Belgium (West-Flanders), France and the Netherlands you have this weird dialect of Dutch called West-Flemish. It sounds different from the other Dutch dialects and it's extremely hard for other Dutch speakers to understand their dialect. I go to school with some people from West-Flanders and it really should be considered another language. Sometimes it sounds like a sort of weird mix between russian and some tribal african language (but that's just my opinion). Their have been talks to recognize it as a new language but the Belgian government rejected the idea. Saying that a fourth national language would over complicate the already existing language laws.

West-Flemish also has this weird thing where they conjugate yes and no (i'm not kidding), see the image. And they also have a lot of French and English vocabulary. The French vocabulary comes from around the industrial revolution. So most words involving machinery, tools, and cars are french. For instance a WF person would say "freings" instead of "remmen" (breaks). This also happens with a few professions. "De postbode" (postman) becomes "Den facteur" and "de dokter" becomes "den docteur".

Here's a video where West-Flemish is compared to Regular Dutch

youtube.com/watch?v=aTL5zcD3Kq0

Forgot the yes/no conjugation

So, immigrants move to the large cities, and large cities have higher rape crimes?

OP here, the speaker in the first video doesn't have the "burr", he has a fairly idiosyncratic accent. Northumbrians do have the uvular R, or did, it's almost extinct now.

If I was moving to a new country I would wanna start out in a big, connected Urban environment, and not one of those bumfuck nowhere Scottish islands. Your retarded

An entire island of canadian Forrest Gumps. Amazing

youtu.be/le_uNGdpa4c
>tfw no unintelligible qt Scottish slag

I've got family who live along the Blue Ridge Parkway who have that distinct southern accent. I've always been partial to the Charleston accent myself though

Guy at 7:11 looks like an Abo what the fuck

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melungeon

youtube.com/watch?v=-Vb8qL2NTCw

i live in a country where we basicaly speak some 4 main versions of our language and a dosen variations

this is a example of one of the more faroff variations, 'bednjanski'

theres also lots of veird little specific dialects on the islands, inland rural areas but also urban places, used to be every neiborhood spoke a little different and still each city has its own slang

then theres places like međimurje-zagorje where people know what town or vilage someones from by how they speak, since each one has a dialect of its own

in istra the local italians still speak a variation of veneto, each locality its own

youtube.com/watch?v=qkyEffwBYGg

i could listen to this all day long

It seems the implications of my post were lost on you.

Kajkavian dialects are an interesting example of transitional dialects. From what I've read, some believe the ancestors of the modern Kajkavian speakers arrived to the area they settle today at the same time as the ancestors of Slovenes, at least the ones across the border who sound the closest in their own dialects.

Requesting that video of a guy doing a voiceover of a scene from toystory but he has this really strange canadian french accent. Cant remember what it was called.

No, it seems as though rape crisis centres are focused on major cities. Which are also the desired location for immigrants.

Major cities are popular in multiple ways -- what a shock.

These fuckers, except the black hills.
Rual communities in the Ozarks sound like Appalachian Midwestern inbreds.

Damn, that is very cool.

I was in Flanders recently and saw a really cool exhibition on Flemish dialects. The most interesting thing for me is how the dialect suddenly becomes a lot closer to standard Dutch just across the border in Zeeland, yet Maastricht German sounded very similar to Limberg Flemish.

My mother is West-Flemish and I've always noticed the French influence. They often use common French words like merci, voila, bonjour, etc. My Grandfather is even called René.

Low German and Dutch are related in the same way as Slovene and Serbo-Croatian; they form a dialect continuum.

Yeah its a pretty weird dialect, the funny thing is even far right wing west flemish flemish nationalists also use those basic french words even tho they hate all things french.

How the hell does one conjugate yes/no?

French names are pretty common in Flanders tho. And west-flemish people don't say bonjour, (but they do say the other things you mentioned)
t. pure west-vlaming

God damn Irish. Go back to Ireland.

As alluded to earlier, the Scouse Liverpool accent is fascinating. It can be horrible to listen to, but it's also quite melodic and has hints of many accents in - such as welsh and Irish. Anyone who's interested in rare accents should study it.

I'll try my best to explain. Let's say someone asks you:"
Did you take out trash?" (Eje de vulzakkn butn hezet?).

Now let's say that you did take them out. Then your yes response would be in the first person singular (joak)
>"'Joak' (yes singular) kein da hedoan" (yes i did).

Now for the next example, let's say that now the same question is asked to a group of people.
So: "Did you take the trash out?"
>Ein junder de vulzakkn butn hezet

The anwser is first person plural:
>'Joaw' wein da hedoan (yes we took them out)

This is probably the only language I know that conjugates yes and no.

If you want to read up on it, here is a paper written on the subject, its in english

folk.ntnu.no/andrewww/haegeman-weir-WF-yesno-CGSW29.pdf

Cajun negro, sometimes referred to as coonass, is fucking retarded. Live in the South for the vast majority of my life, only recently moved out, and I never understood swampnigger speech. It's English for sure, you can understand a few words here and there or catch it all if they enunciate, but damn it sounds so foreign when they speak fast.

People in eastern scotland do that...

isn't that just old swamp French?

youtube.com/watch?v=rPs_KSdRcnY

I don't even mean their French, I mean their English and it's even worse. White Cajuns speak slow, they enunciate. They're easy to understand. Cajun negros? Unintelligible 99% of the time. Have you heard New Orleans negros speak? It's like that except with the slurred cajun accent.

youtu.be/sWAUrHODRWM It sounds terrible but strangely satisfying.

I would say a lot of people here speak Ulster-Scots, although it is "less Scottish" than it may have been in the past. But there is plenty use of Ulster Scots words like dander, cannae, that sort of stuff. It's mixed a lot with Hiberno-English but its influence in pronunciation is still pretty obvious I think

Is the non-rhotic southern accent still alive?

That's Acadian. Spoken in the Maritimes and primarily in New Brunswick.

muh dick

i can barely understand some english dialects but that really doesnt make them "fucking retarded"

Tangier Island, Virginia Accent. Sounds like a mix of some regional English accent I'm not familiar with and an American Southern accent.

youtu.be/AIZgw09CG9E

Oops, I now see it was already posted. Oh well.

This is the accent featured in Deliverance. Unlike the movie, they're generally the nicest people in the US.

>completely unintelligible to native speakers
>not retarded

>Anglo hears about dialects for the first time

>mfw I was born in the south and have a shitty, generic American accent.

Seriously why are th majority of American accents so bland. The only thing worse than them is the Mexican accent.

that feel when accents are dead unless you're poor
Thanks television
All they're good for now is identifying the CHICANOS among us

>mfw I hear someone from Pennsylvania pronounce "roof" as "ruff"

>tfw I heard someone from West-Flanders pronounce "muggengeheugen" as "muhhnheheuhn"

>mfw I hear someone from Ljubljana pronounce "ašenpehar" as "pepelnik"

I live in Norfolk and they're heaps of people here who speak with a local accent, even the young.

It's a hilarious accent as this local comedian demonstrates.

youtube.com/watch?v=jcNHSQttUq4

We also have a load of town village names that are pronounced completely differently to how they're spelled which is hilarious whenever tourists somehow end up here.

Happisburgh is pronounced Hhys-burr-er, Wymondham is wind-ham and Costessey is coss-ee

Wait, so you're saying some of the nicest people in the US are portrayed as psychopathic rapists by Hollywood?

>mfw I hear a woman not speaking in Eme-sal

I can relate to this because in a few villages near where I live, women use (or did a generation ago) the male form for verbs instead of female.

sounds pretty alveolar to me, mate.

Where do you live user? Or are you memeing? I'm genuinely intrigued

In Slovenia, in a region called Upper Carniola. See (the purple region). The dialect I mentioned is spoken around number 198.

i live on the isle of wight, we're all inbred and sound like farmers

I don't want this thread to die

Ben Crystal (linguist and actor) delivering a soliloquy from Hamlet in Shakespeare's English.

youtube.com/watch?v=qYiYd9RcK5M