City States

Has there been any SERIOUS attempt to create a city state in XX and XXI century? Why they failed?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahrain
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_and_dependencies_by_area
bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-02-23/two-wrong-ways-to-think-about-china-s-slowdown
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore

This is literally pic related,should have said
>any serious attempt ASIDE from Singapore

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahrain

Does Hong Kong count? They're competing in the Olympics and collect their own medals and seem to be independent from China and great Britain.

>en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahrain
now this is interesting, thank you goyim

San Marino, Monaco, Andorra, Vatican City, Liechenstein

Kuwait, Monaco, San Marino, the Vatican counts I guess, Andorra, Luxembourg, Bahrain, Singapore, there's quite a few city states out there.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_and_dependencies_by_area

Just go there and sort them in reverse order.

By the way, what definition of a city state do you use? Because something like Qatar or Brunei (with >50% of the population living in the capital) would have certainly be considered a city-state in older times but I seem them excluded from the lists. City states didn't stop at the city walls but extended at least to the surrounding rural areas, or any other regions they laid claim to.

Another definition considers the self-governing megalopolises such as London, Tokyo or the Chinese "provincial-level cities" to be autonomous if not sovereign city-states.

if the provincial definition is enough for city-state then most of the world capitals would fall into that classification.

Santiago my home city has 7 million cucks in a conurbation of 30-40 km.
Mexico has like 20 million habitants
This existed long before the XX century even began (except maybe Kuwait... MURICA)

>if the provincial definition is enough for city-state then most of the world capitals would fall into that classification.
It depends on how much autonomy and power is actually delegated to it, though. Being a regular region doesn't matter much in a unitary state, while the top tier matters a lot in a federation.

For example in Japan, Osaka and Kyoto are both "urban prefectures" but they are effectively much lower in status and independence than Tokyo's "metropolitan prefecture". The Governor of Tokyo is second in status and influence only to the Prime Minister, and the Tokyo Metropolitan Government is much more complex and influential than other prefectural governments.

China's "direct-controlled municipalities" effectively have status similar to the regular provinces (which have many responsibilities already), but being directly controlled they have no greater independence from the central government, while the "special administrative regions" (Hong Kong and Macau) are more independent than even autonomous provinces.

What would a world full of city states look like?

Ancap wet dream and distopia

>Hegemonies
>Hegemonies everywhere.

Hong Kong is trying but China seems dead set on gobbling them up eventually. Considering they now control the local government, that seems like it's inevitable.

Hope they dont do that to Taiwan the last bastion of chinese culture

It would probably be pretty cool for awhile, but eventually power would consolidate towards one or two cities.

Everything about what you just said is wrong

As long as PRC is still stable, Hong Kong's autonomy is on a time limit. Of course when China's card tower of an economy finally falls apart I'm sure Hong Kong will regain some kind of independence. But for now we're stuck with ROC and Singapore.

The current trend in world politics seems to be in the direction of soft-totalitarian megablocs like the EU (which, in itelf is nothing but a step close to the end goal which is absolute global tyranny), hence why some libertarian thinkers such as Hoppe are in favor of city states, because they oppose the current centralist left-totalitarian trend.

The United Arab Emirates are literally a federation of formerly independent city-states.

Still where would be the centre of a totalitarian NWO? The moon...? Israel...?

Also if they truly suceed in making Europe a real nation as they have been shilling for the last 50 years or so then they truly can unify the world.

Also a world of city states would be a complete renaissance italia tier clusterfuck

Lmao no

Might as well call New York City and city-state at that point.

China owns HK economically and politically whether HK Chinese socially agree or not.

>Of course when China's card tower of an economy finally falls apart

>muh China collapse meme
bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-02-23/two-wrong-ways-to-think-about-china-s-slowdown

IMF, Goldman Sachs, and the World Bank predict 6.6% growth in 2016 and 6.2% growth in 2017 and 6.0% growth in 2018-2020.

So tell me why 400 billion dollar organizations that invest billions are making such predictions?

This. I'm sure the Chinese economy and/or the Chinese government will collapse one day, but I despair of it happening before my retirement.

>wanting more city-states

Nice dub-dubs, my dude

It's going to have a really "dynamic" 20's, probably followed by an economic recession, but that's something that happens to any middle-income economy. As for the next few years, China is simply still too undeveloped to not grow (unless it goes full Maoist).

I personally would prefer an economic and financial crisis in China this year, if it leads to a liberalization of the economy and society.
Then again, knowing China, it's just as likely to go full JUST MAO/JAP/MONGOL my shit up. So the best we can hope for is that Xi is more of a reformer than a dictator.

Yeah but isnt the point that their rebelliousness is recognized globally?

>Of course when China's card tower of an economy finally falls apart
Doubt it. China will likely continue slowing down economically for years to come and perhaps even have a recession, but the idea of some kind of grand economic meltdown doesn't really make sense.