Angkor Wat was the largest city on Earth

arstechnica.com/science/2016/07/how-archaeologists-found-the-lost-medieval-megacity-of-angkor/

Kind of crazy how a city of a million people could almost disappear like that. Really underlines how big the gaps are in our historical knowledge, even from relatively recent periods.

>Archaeological researcher Piphal Heng, who studies Cambodian settlement history, told Ars that the LiDAR maps peeled back the forest canopy to reveal meticulous grids of highways and low-density neighborhoods of thousands of houses and pools of water. There was "a complex urban grid system that extended outside the walls of Angkor Thom and other large temple complexes such as Angkor Wat, Preah Khan, and Ta Prohm," he said. With the new data, scientists had solid evidence that the city of Angkor sprawled over an area of at least 40 to 50 square km. It was home to almost a million people. The scattered, moated complexes like Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom were merely the most enduring features of what we now know was the biggest city on Earth during the 12th and 13th centuries.

I guess to get replies I should say something like WHITE PEOPLE BTFO AGAIN, TOP KEK.

Indeed.
Kind of crazy is also the fact that we are trying to colonize other planets when we didn't even map ours completely

Space colonization is exclusively a White people thing.

Please kill yourself

Mud people don't like nature. Only Whites care about saving the animals and stuff.

Whites explore because it's fun and we're curious. Other people could do it if they wanted to, but they just don't. White people just think like that.

Only Whites (and granted, a few mud outliers, mostly Asians) dream about colonizing the solar system. We do it because it appeals to us.

Whites really are like Tolkiens High Elves except for Earth. We're sexier, smarter, more aesthetic, we dream bigger and see further. It's a good thing we have White Man's Burden to uplift all the mud peoples. Otherwise you would still be splashing around in your mud.

How the fuck do satellites archeology?

>Only Whites care about saving the animals and stuff

Is that why whites have completely ruined the environment?

It isn't why there's no more megafauna in Australia

How did they get so much food? The warm period was from 950 to 1250 which roughly correlates with Khmer's rise and fall.

Also, fuck all the /pol/shit and bait. Let's have a good wholesome discussion about this fascinating civilization and its demise

Look for clear disturbances in the ground, especially rectangular ones. You have to zoom in pretty close though. Basically finding a needle in a haystack.

You get a computer to analyze for unexpected straight lines, computers are much better at that than people. Faster at least

>Also, fuck all the /pol/shit and bait. Let's have a good wholesome discussion about this fascinating civilization and its demise

>having a wholesome discussion about a non-white civ on the history section of a white nationalist image board

Not going to happen, if you want serious discussion go to one of the many history forums that are out there

>Veeky Forums
>White Nationalist
Veeky Forums is an aimless wreck, and we're all the better for it.

but reddit swings too far in the other direction, you can't talk about anything remotely controversial

That's not even fair. I'm not a racist but Whites literally make the environment a significant part of their foreign policy. They push for international protections, set aside an entire continent (Antarctica) as a nature preserve, and qualify trade deals with assurances that the non whites will stop polluting and protect their animals. You can't even compare bro

>I'm not a racist but Whites literally make the environment a significant part of their foreign policy.

Yes after spending 300 years ruining it

Proofs now

i think its far worse to pollute the environment after 300 years of us westerners doing so and try to wave it away with an excuse like "well you guys did it too".
try to learn from the past, you know.

>what is the industrial revolution
>what is chemical dumping
>what is factory farms

>inb4 nuh uh, white ppl din du nuffin!

>counting the vast suburbs
cheaters

>i think its far worse to pollute the environment after 300 years of us westerners doing so and try to wave it away with an excuse like "well you guys did it too".

>i mean yea sure we fucked up the environment for 300 years and are still doing so, but your 50 years of pollution makes you worse than us!

Feels good man.

Sorry about your thread OP

Every time I browse Veeky Forums I become more convinced that this place doesn't exist and I'm just living in some horrible schizophrenic delusion. Nothing this terrible could exist in reality.

Please fucking kill yourself. No joke involved just kill yourself.

interesting as well is Sri Lanka
the island is covered in gigantic man made resevoirs which channel watter all through the dry season and also control monsoon floods. the island is full of sprawling ruined cities suggesting far larger urban societies or at least development/population than exists there currently.
nearly all of it has been consumed by jungle and the mammoth reservoirs are mostly used by wildlife now.
the people there have stories of a great empire centered on the island but that it sunk away and collapsed thousands of years ago.

plenty of toehr countries make the enviroment a major policy issue, arguably more than most white countries.

China for example has the largest green sector on earth both for utilitarian and practical reasons.

really every country and people has some who care about the earth. the West is full of urban yuppies who talk a lot but do nothing.

Yes but now we know that pollution is bad. It's different if you're continuing to mass pollute now rather than 50 years ago

we've known it was bad since the start of the industrial revolution

>Said while masturbating to White girls on the White Man's computer.

You non-Whites are like crabs in a bucket.

WE ARE BREAKING THE CONDITIONING!

Go splash in your mud until you add something positive to the human civilization. Then you may speak.

Also i dont masturbate to white women, man jaws and flat ape like lips are a huge turn off. Arab women are the way to go m8

>inb4 we wuz arabs

Christ he looks terrible. Is he living on cheeseburgers and booze these days or what?

Liberals treat non whites like pets. As if they have no agency. Whatever non whites do that is bad, it's somehow not their fault. White people are responsible for every injustice and all the evils in the world.

They disappeared because the Witch of Izalith and her daughters opened up the Bed of Chaos and then everyone inside turned into demons.

Are people really crying about muh trees when discussing the industrial revolution?

And blaming fucking whites for it??

Like, really?

Another brilliant Veeky Forums thread.

#Whitegenocide

It was probably just a couple hundred thousand people, not a million.

Please tell me about how mud peoples honor their explorers and inventors like White peoples do. Biology is the root, culture is the flower.

I'm waiting...

Unironically this, but only because collectivism is cancer.

I don't think it's that strange that there are ancient mega cities that we are currently just uncovering. There's compelling evidence that there were a number of cities in the Amazon that are simply entirely overgrown in vegetation that they partially husbanded.
I'm also reminded of that thread a few months ago of a several thousand-person battle over a bridge in modern Germany during the Bronze Age.

>you can only do one thing at a time

"Collectivism" is simplistic and only addresses a small part of it. Whites really do have an ingrained emotional and spiritual connection to nature. Hiking, camping, exploring, environmental conservation, etc... these really are predominantly White things to do.

It's not that this disposition is inherently superior or anything like that. It's just different. Race is real. Biology is a fundamental part of who we are. We should respect this unique trait that White people have and value it and support the expression of it. But we should honor it as a unique trait of White people, because that's what it is.

I think you could make a much better case for the Asians having a connection to nature.

Christian doctrine is that man is the master of everything on earth, and everything else is here to serve us.

The Hindus and Buddhists believe that everything has a soul, and preach non violence against all living things as necessary for salvation.

I think you are dramatically underestimating the importance of culture. A human without culture is on the level of a bonobo. We are all the produce of memes.

You first.

Have the details really been lost to time? It's so strange that folks would just stop talking about something like that -andz that nothing would be firmly recorded, but thousands of years is a lond time I guess

It's a board made for psuedo-intellectuals

These retards are starving for bait

What, does Cahokia of the Mississipian culture not get any love?

>That's not even fair. I'm not a racist but Whites literally make the environment a significant part of their foreign policy.

Indeed, Europeans invented the concepts of conservation and environmentalism.

If it wasn't for us, Earth would have already been turned into an uninhabitable wasteland.

I don't think they're not living and working on Antarctica out of the goodness of their hearts.

Actually, that image looks like it's from Bayon, Angkor Wat is only one site on the Angkor complex. This meme is completely inaccurate.

Angkor What?

holy fuck, that's crazy

We noticed that we were fucking the place up and try to fix it.

Rest of the world want to continue living in filth and destruction.