Ancient food

Lets take a break from pseudo philosophical shitposting. I know it hasn't changed much, but drop some sources about ancient food and popular recipes.

Other urls found in this thread:

productosmajuelo.com/flor-de-garum/
gutenberg.org/ebooks/29728
youtube.com/user/jastownsendandson
bookzz.org/book/529437/31550d
mega.nz/#!k5g1WLgJ!JNc6ODxVVIMoaFWBnt7sXxKj7ODk8TjSuCkyrspxwsQ
coquinaria.nl/english/recipes/Rombread.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=GsyjNef2ydQ
passthegarum.co.uk/
youtube.com/watch?v=55M_AijtbCY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Ultimate comfy mode engaged.

bump

Kind of want to try garum desu

its that supposed to be garum? AGH

ackshually some goys from Catalonia recreated the recipee from recovered samples covered by Pompey and looks more like an oil than nothing
productosmajuelo.com/flor-de-garum/

bump

That looks uncomfortable as fuck. I always wondered how people ate like that back then.

What did pre Roman Greeks eat??
What about Persians??

Not really ancient but there's this good youtube channel with a guy that makes food from the 18th century.

You can find it by googling 'mushroom ketchup'

Just by Vietnamese fish sauce, it's the same thing.

Cookery and Dining in Imperial Rome by Apicius.
gutenberg.org/ebooks/29728

>STUFFED PUMPKIN FRITTERS

>A DISH OF STUFFED PUMPKIN IS MADE THUS: PEEL AND CUT THE PUMPKIN LENGTHWISE INTO OBLONG PIECES WHICH HOLLOW OUT AND PUT IN A COOL PLACE. THE DRESSING FOR THE SAME MAKE IN THIS WAY: CRUSH PEPPER, LOVAGE AND ORIGANY, MOISTENED WITH BROTH; MINCE COOKED BRAINS AND BEAT RAW EGGS AND MIX ALL TOGETHER TO FORM A PASTE; ADD BROTH AS TASTE REQUIRES. STUFF THE ABOVE PREPARED PIECES OF PUMPKIN THAT HAVE NOT BEEN FULLY COOKED WITH THE DRESSING; FIT TWO PIECES TOGETHER AND CLOSE THEM TIGHT [holding them by means of strings or skewers]. [Now poach them and] TAKE THE COOKED ONES OUT AND FRY THEM. [The proper] WINE SAUCE [for this dish] MAKE THUS: CRUSH PEPPER, LOVAGE MOISTENED WITH WINE, RAISIN WINE TO TASTE, A LITTLE OIL, PLACE IN PAN TO BE COOKED; WHEN DONE BIND WITH ROUX. COVER THE FRIED PUMPKIN WITH THIS SAUCE, SPRINKLE WITH PEPPER AND SERVE.

youtube.com/user/jastownsendandson

Wouldn't lying down to eat give you stomach pain?
Also how common was it really to throw up food to eat more? Was bulimia common?

probably not very common as throwing up is unpleasant as fuck.

>you'll never be a wandering merchant traveling from county to county trying new foods you've never seen or eaten before

Apparently the Spartans ate some horrid soup called black stew.

>it's a "Roman dumps Garum all over his fucking food" dish

Just be a tourist

That's exactly what they did, though, and there are some writers from the Roman Imperial period who talk about how everyone's breath stank because of the sauce, much in the same way as garlic.

>Also how common was it really to throw up food to eat more? Was bulimia common?

Very common amongst the Roman upper class, particularly during orgies like the Mediterranean niggers they are

I believe that Roman nobles also belched freely at dinner parties, since it was a display of appreciation for the food. Oh and they would throw their food remains on the floor. In hindsight these parties must have been actually pretty disgusting to witness firsthand if you weren't Roman.

Sounds like paradise to me.

is that why it's called roman shower today?

I remember seeing a few books on medieval food posted on Veeky Forums as .pdfs, ask them?

oioijoiio

yooooOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo

This is a pretty interesting read.
bookzz.org/book/529437/31550d

Jijig-Galnash/Жижиг-Гaлпaш, Chechen/Ingush food. Tastes very good and is very old.

got one

mega.nz/#!k5g1WLgJ!JNc6ODxVVIMoaFWBnt7sXxKj7ODk8TjSuCkyrspxwsQ

Tell me more
I can't find anything on it on Google
How old?
What is it are those things just boiled dough?
That's meat right?
What sauce is that?
What it taste like?

>How old?
very old
>What is it are those things just boiled dough?
tastes good
>That's meat right?
very
>What sauce is that?
Tastes good
>What it taste like?
Tastes good

Thanks I'm very informed now

Looks very much like it's horse meat.

>Thanks I'm very informed now
Wasn't me tho
>How old?
Very old. Chechens and Ingushs lived high in the Caucasus mountains contained from other nations for a long time, so they needed easy food. This was one of them. Can't tell how old it is desu, but probably "very very" old.
>What is it are those things just boiled dough?
Yeah, its dough
>That's meat right?
Right, cow meat
>What sauce is that?
Garlic sauce, tasted awesome, but leads to smelly breath
>What it taste like?
Its one of my favorite favourite dishes.

Eating horse (meat) is an unforgivable sin for Chechens/Ingush.

TRVE ROMAN BREAD FOR TRVE ROMANS
coquinaria.nl/english/recipes/Rombread.htm

It's dense as hell, and very dark, I made it twice, and it was good bulking food. Must have with vinegarette or olive oil tho

>Wouldn't lying down to eat give you stomach pain?
Lying down on your left side is immensely comfortable when you're full, since it doesn't put any pressure on the stomach and straightens the oesophagus, which simplifies eructation.

Which is why the typical dining room of a wealthy Roman household looked something like pic related. Note how all people are lying on their left side.

The illustration that you're referring to is, as you pointed it out already, bullshit.

I don't know if anyone cares about 17th century foods (mainly United States) but there is an entire youtube channel dedicated to it.

youtube.com/watch?v=GsyjNef2ydQ

passthegarum.co.uk/

A lot of good shit here

I eat lying down on my right side am I going to die.

youtube.com/watch?v=55M_AijtbCY

This channel provides recreations of recipes from 18th/early 19th century cookbooks.