/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

DDX is love, DDX is life edition.
Post your game, leave feedback for others.

>Next Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

>Next Game Jam (Lewd -- Blueboard rules still apply)
itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2016

>Lewd Jam Collabs
docs.google.com/document/d/1K9wlzcJntyOCV3KLvRcvllZ2ZUnGgrDtiwPdMLlw5XQ/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sm0Pxz0uq-62L46TdXmKisynbhLI_by-pLNlcgo4B8M/edit?usp=sharing

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/qRHNpCbZ

>Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

poal.me/f9m8p9
arcturus.bandcamp.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Post progress

Marmo did nothing wrong

third for nothing

will making a game get me laid?

Rank devs' personalities

>yfw marmo is back

Who won demo day?

daily reminder aboutmarmodev
>recognized because "muh cute "boipussy"" and anime posting
>not recognized because of the game itself
googem is a saint in comparison

No, but if it makes you a lot of money you can get the sluts at game cons, or just hire a whore.

Algeria

I'm looking for a game with some THICC characters. Anybody have anything they're working on?

I dunno but Toppletank is adorable as shit

why does the word "thicc" always makes me laugh?

(you)

Redpille me on Openscenegraph

I'll be sure to add a THICC character just for you!

cheers, mate

don't use it

in my game you can basically inflate a fleshy blimp if that's what you're into

who?

You're an idiot. He posted progress.

He can't help that people shitpost him.

If it works for you, no problem.

In my game, you are an orc who fucks thicc fantasy waifus.
No waifus yet though, still animating the orc running.

Go on

gigum

poal.me/f9m8p9
poal.me/f9m8p9
poal.me/f9m8p9

>fucks
>doesn't fucc

Why bother?

>No waifus yet though, still animating the orc running.
>animating orcs first than the females
G
A
Y

I am looking forward it

>recognized because "muh cute "boipussy"" and anime posting

maybe it was you only the one who recognized it that way

do you have anything you want to confess user? *wink* *wink*

Demoday isn't even close to done. Slow your horses.

My lewdjam game will have sort of thicc succubi but I haven't started working on the game yet.

YES, IM A FAGGOT

>not knowing DD loses its steam a little after all the wagies get home from work

I need an official ranking from best to worst on the demo day games.

You'll fugg that elf puss soon enuv.
What good is waifus if there is not a big green cocker to shove into them?

For that user in the last thread:
Flixel doesn't do curved tiles so this is the result. I actually like it though, I've played a lot of old platformers where stuff like this happened and it was always fun seeing how far off a platform you could inch the character.

mine > yours

>he thinks people play games after the first wave is done
pft, user, anyone who submits after this moment is going to get literally 0 downloads.

gogem did you make that famous date simulator game on your own or with a team?

He is recognized because when he is one of the first people to constantly post progress, only for shitposters to get jelly and lose their shit. If you weren't here for early AGDG, please shut up.

Also he started off basically not knowing anything about game dev in the earliest threads. He eventually self taught himself C and C++ and made his entire game's engine in scratch. He started making progress despite people thinking he should've given up years ago.

Eventually it seemed like he did, especially with all the jealous nodevs trying to hack his facebook and shit.

But despite that he's back again and I'm glad to see him still making his game. If you're not, that's fine. Shut the fuck up.

Play all the games and make your own tier list.

>Making a game engine in scratch
Absolute madman

>Next Demo Day
>didn't change it to Current Demo Day

>I actually like it though,
It's bad, and inaccurate and makes for bad games. You aren't making anything close to "retro" so stop rationalizing shit.
Also there's an issue where hitbox's get cancelled with Charlotte's attack animation. It's around the same time in the video where one of the spikey puffs walks right through her.

Not even hard for 2d

From scatch, sorry.

I'm surprised to see marmo using Unity now.

i havent made a date simulator game

Frogdev why did you change your character, your new one looks terrible.

are you the same person as this marmo dev? i don't understand what the fuck is going on

He realized that making a game engine on your own when there are literally some free engines out there made by whole companies is a colosal waste of time. lt's quite a feat to make an engine by yourself and then a game on it though.

>Charlotte's Dream
>requires flash
welp, guess I wont be playing that one, too bad.

that one you control your character's eyes and try not to fuck up the date. l cna't remember the name

yeah I remember people telling him how he was wasting his time doing everything from scratch

especially when he first used GM or something, I forgot

I'm working on my own engine based off XNA's GraphicsDevice (cause fuck wrapping dx9).
Writing my own Font/SpriteBatch/whatever else, am I a madman?

Spend too much time here without finishing your game, and you become an AGDG celebrity. And a celebrity is the last thing you want to be on this Antarctic seal-clubbing imageboard.

See also: rotate, googum, plokdev

>He realized that making a game engine on your own when there are literally some free engines out there made by whole companies is a colosal waste of time.
He quite literally said he just didn't know what he was doing and was basically forced to drop his engine because it was a mess of spaghetti.

So are all the demos safe?
No hidden viruses?

madman.

maybe you will one day think you are an actual anime girl too. and then finally switch to Unity

post yfw gogem was marmo all along

>yes, another thing I can use to push my ideology!

There is literally no reason to use Unity if all you care about is 2D.

>Flixel
didn't you get the memo? flash is ded.

no, that's not me.
i assume it's some DD whodev invader

>all these new cunts

if I make an engine.. can I become anime?

t. unity shill

How do I know if my screen is brighter than the average screen

Social Interaction Trainer is not a dating simulator but yes i made it on my own in 2 days.

explain this

>implying gogem is a singular person anymore

are you using unity?

Good luck with Demo Day X submissions.

Friendly reminder that I have about 6 hours of music available for anyone to use:

arcturus.bandcamp.com

Can't wait to check out your progress bros

Been playing around with a turn based engine in gamemaker but I haven't been able to animate the sprites no matter what using the engine's code. I'm fairly new to gamemaker so what should I do? There's an overworld player object with sprites that animate properly but the battle animations don't play, all are stuck on the first frame as if I used sprite_index=0 and image_speed=0.

How do I do this? Not looking to be spoonfed but pointing me towards the right direction would be great.

huh... assuming that's me im sorry... i have a very selective memory that prunes off unimportant things.

My dumb little agility platformer is coming along nicely but something struck me. I have no idea what it is that will actually compel people to go through a level in this. But I can't even answer that question about platformers I enjoy playing.

Please spoonfeed me AGDG. What is it that gives a platformer intrigue so that you actually want to progress? In Mario there's no character progression and there's no getting to the next story beat or anything. You're basically just running right until the game decides you've run right enough so I'm at a loss for what actually makes that fun.
Pic is my most recent progress, these NPCs that you can talk to.

>Friendly reminder that I have about 6 hours of music available for anyone to use:

ls that a threat?

So what, should I just make the sand corners a square? That's disgusting. I might square it out a little but I'm not going all the way.
>Also there's an issue where hitbox's get cancelled with Charlotte's attack animation.
What? I looked through the video but I didn't see anything like that. If one of the puffs walked through her she probably had mercy invincibility, the flicker effect is every frame so if there's any dropped frames in a recording she appears solid during it. Which I should fix...
I'm too lazy to port over to a new engine. I've already gone far enough in this one, I'm seeing it through.

what genre is this?

none of this fits for fantasy mideval setting

@jasozz re: dungeon break
rooms always spawning and being visible in the top left corner of the map is weird, weapons persisting after Restarting post-death is weird, sord being crazy broken is hilarious
it's not evident that the shopkeeper can only refill guns and the magic dealer (why is his map initial P?) can refill magic. also, conversations overall use too many keys imo; J to skip, Enter to continue conversation/confirm, E to begin conversation, escape to exit seems like it could be simplified. it also appears that some chests can be collected an infinite number of times by returning to an uncleared room after getting the loot inside (the chest will respawn filled and shut). also don't remove the moon walking because it's hilarious, the rest of the game's great, sound design and art especially (i fucking love the bone percussion section in the catacombs music)

there are major points people always forget when spouting "lmao >reinventing the wheel"

1) many popular engines require you to pay money for them. but even if you can afford it, you still might not want to give money to such things
2) many popular engines are proprietary software, which is a cancer itself to many people
3) licensing and maintenance. you are depending on your right to use someone else's shit to make your game, and you are depending on them to maintain said shit. this is undesirable for some people.

making your own 3D engine is generally too much to ask from the average dev, but for 2D it still might still have some advantages depending on your game. I certainly wouldn't use an existing engine for a VN or a text game, for example

Why the fuck are you impersonating me?

>my engine doesn't have a premade option for this ergo I cannot do it

As well as legitimate issues with workflow. For instance, Unity and GM severely restrict where you can actually write code in their framework.

Most of them online(unity,GM,.) only require to be payed if you're making x money with your game sales. If you're making that much money you could as well buy the engine

>some new-friend got outed not knowing marmo, pretending to be googum
good lord /agdg/

>implying there's only one person pretending to be gogem

you called him your waifu before and have even drew pictures of him

other way around

Extending your physics to resolve for pixel collisions really shouldn't be more than 50 lines of code total.

Hey, thanks for playing!
>rooms always spawning in top-left
I've been trying to fix this bug for weeks and I canNOT figure it out. It's super frustrating
>weapons persisting after death
That's weird, I've never had this happen. You mean after you hit RESTART from the Game Over screen, your inventory remains?

> Replenishment menus aren't super clear
Fair enough. I'll try to figure out a way to make this clearer. P stands for "Priest" btw

>Infinite Chests
This only happens in one room that I know of. It's a weird bug where a chest assigns itself to the wrong room, so it doesn't properly detect when its been looted. Trying to fix it but its hard to replicate reliably.

Thanks for your feedback user!

Literally what the fuck? ls everyone in this board using my name now?

no i dont think that's true.

of his characters, I mean. sorry

l confess l did sorry, l'm having severe memory issues

Nope, probably not. If you browse through you may find something but it's all electronic.

But I said friendly senpai

>Missing the joke