How tall was Julius Caesar?

How tall was Julius Caesar?

what is the source for the 5' 7" that's on the internet

Other urls found in this thread:

journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.1001555
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

All italians are turbo manlets, none of them even came close to 5'7 2,000 years ago

>Even
Shouldn't it be "even now"?
People are eating better now than then.

Pompeii skeletons average out at 169cm, so 5'7 seems totally plausible. Caesar was a massive playboy before his high politics days, and he went for rich bored housewives, so he couldn't have been short compared to his peers.

1) Modern Italians are not just Romans, from a genetic perspective. There was a lot of migration that occurred during and after the collapse of Rome
2) A member of the upper classes would not be shorter due to malnutrition. Peasants in ancient times were often short due to subsisting on grains with not enough meat. This would not have been the case for Caesar
3) Italians aren't even that short. 5'10" is not tall but it's not 'turbo manlet'

>Modern Italians are not just Romans, from a genetic perspective. There was a lot of migration that occurred during and after the collapse of Rome
Do you have any links for there any important genetic change due to immigration? I hear that quite a lot but haven't really see it sourced yet.

yeah but where's the source

the closest thing i can find is something in lives of the twelve caesars but it's about augustus

>1) Modern Italians are not just Romans, from a genetic perspective. There was a lot of migration that occurred during and after the collapse of Rome
The migrations have been found to have a very limited impact to Italy actually. The average italian is basically the same genetically as the average italic back then.
>2) A member of the upper classes would not be shorter due to malnutrition. Peasants in ancient times were often short due to subsisting on grains with not enough meat. This would not have been the case for Caesar
Pro tip: a leading cause of short height in pre-modern times is unhealthiness while growing up. Rich people got sick all the time too back then.
>3) Italians aren't even that short. 5'10" is not tall but it's not 'turbo manlet'
Italy is actually on par with Europe's average height and like half a cm above the US's average, so yeah they're not turbomanlets.

4,2*

>The migrations have been found to have a very limited impact to Italy actually. The average italian is basically the same genetically as the average italic back then.

Even the Sicilians?

Ancient Sicily was basically italics + greeks. Modern Sicily still is italics + greeks. So yeah.
Actually it's a bit more complex than that, but the non italic natives of Sicily (which were the majority) weren't IE and not much is known about them, so eh.

Considering the unusual amount of I1 Y-DNA especially in western Sicily, as high as the German parts of north-east Italy, I'd say they might have been bleached a bit if anything.

>he migrations have been found to have a very limited impact to Italy actually
Gonna need to see a source on this

>Sicily still is italics + greeks
and arabs

His problem was being bald. He gladly accepted and always wore the laurel crown because of his insecurity according to Suetonius

journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.1001555

also, the genetics of Italy point to it in general, Italy is how you expect it to be after the known invasions up until the Iron age

Not to mention to forward parting of the hair to cover the receding hairline.

Even upper class people weren't properly nourished, most of what we believe to be Italian food, tomatoes, sugar, potatoes, oranges, came from the east or the new world. Genes have also changed from that time, everyone was shorter.

5'7 in his time would be fucking borderline giant, inhuman

wut, wasn't 5'7'' the minimum height required to be in the army at some point?

5'7 is the average height of roman skeletons. Why are there still turds like you around thinking people were 5' tall 2000 years ago?

There's no proof of that whatsoever.
Well, aside from Vegetius, but Vegetius is wrong like 99% of the time.
That said, we DO know that Valentinian lowered the height requirements to 5'5 (modern feet), and that the Legio I Italica only recruited from italics 6' (roman) tall or taller, so it's not at all unlikely that the average legionary was around 5'7.

Wrong 99%of the time.
You're being kind.

>only 3 generations existed under Arab rule
>implying the Arabs went and raped everyone in Sicily

How do you people even breathe?

>Italy
>176.5cm
>half a cm above the US average
US is 177.2 cm

5'7 ws the avg heigh of persons he saw around him

big scandi nth blood like that prob 5'9-6ft

Lol I'm Italian and the biggest playboy I know is 5'5, a "manlet" according to you autists

You're confusing Sicily with Sardinia

No it isn't it was 5'5 in Murica units and 5'10 in Roman units

Impossible that the average modern Italian is 177 centimeters tall.