Other than China and Japan, why has there been no Great Powers in the modern era that is not a European...

Other than China and Japan, why has there been no Great Powers in the modern era that is not a European, Slav or American country?

Other urls found in this thread:

google.es/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=the uniqueness of western civilization
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Great Power is a meaningless term whose parameters change depending on the user of the term.

Other than the US, why has there been no Great Powers in the modern era that is not European, Slav or East Asian?

I wouldn't call Japan a great power.

If Japan is a great power then so are India and Iran.

Gulf states are powerful too, more so than Japan.

Modern does not mean contemporary, Japan was a great power up to 1945 and China never stopped being one even through the 19th century (if you believe the Chinkaboos) or resumed being one after WW2

>Great power
This is a very vague term.

Obviously the UN security council are great powers. But since you include Japan your definition is obviously broader than this. So what is a great power?

>Gulf states
In terms of what? Once the oil is gone their place on the global stage will dwindle. Meanwhile Japan's economy is huger and more diverse.

>Gulf states are powerful too

Only the Saudis, the rest are faggots, little bitches at best. Qatar thinks it can fuck KSA but it will be the one who gets fucked when the Saudis, in their last dying breath as their oil money runs out and Wahabis eat them alive, destroy the region in the final showdown with Iran and Turkey

They're doing quite a lot to diversify. At least the UAE is.

>I wouldn't call Japan a great power.
Hello Ivan.

THE DEFINITION IS THE COUNTRIES ON THE COVER OF PAUL KENNEDY'S BOOK

>UK
>great power

FUCKING LOL

FUCKING

LOL

Oman is a lot more important than they like to let on.

Here where I live every other person has worked in Oman at one point in their lives.

So what?

>Has nukes
>Has veto power
>Not a great power

OP specified the modern era, not current great powers so I'm assuming they mean the Empire of Japan was a great power before 1945.

Omanis are the only ones who aren't fatally incompetent or consumed by hubris with too much bling and oil money. But they are ultimately irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, they are homosexuals, small and irrelevant and on the same level as Kuwait and Bahrain, not even the same level as UAE and Qatar. They have not the same level of resources.

The Iranians only consider Egypt, Turkey, KSA and themselves as the only relevant players in the region (Egypt being a little bitch, a faggot bottom of KSA for now due to its internal problems). There is of course also the Jew That Must Not Be Named. Everyone else is a little gayboy

So go fuck yourself

Not him, but the UK is definitely a secondary power and more of a regional power than a GP today.

Modern GPs: U.S., Russia, China
Secondaries: U.K., France, Germany, India, Japan
Tertiary: South Korea, South Africa, Canada, Straya, Brazil, Italy

What the fuck where's Saudi Arabia, Iran? How the fuck is Italy more powerful than either of them?

I don't know why those diversity-loving cocksuckers at Firaxis keep imagining Indonesia as some incipient up and comer "Superpower by 2030". Anyone who's lived there, worked with its cunt residents or done business with them will realise that its a whole bunch of unrealised potential that will likely stay unrealised. Everyone thought they'd be Big Boys too in the 1960s with Soekarno swinging his tiny Javanese dick around, but look what happened. They are even less well put together than the Indians.

Even their current growth is not sustainable, they're basically spending like Americans on domestic consumption without the economic fundamentals to support it. And unlike Australia, they have nothing to fall back on once the commodity boom runs its course.

I'd rate the UK and France higher than India. Att the least the tier immediately below USA/China, I'd also put Russia on the same tier. Germany and Japan are highly debateable

Poland, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Indonesia and maybe Nigeria also deserve some recognition.

It's the BR effect. Too much Jew hype and sperging over potential rather than focusing on actual problems in these places.

I'm actually surprised that other than the muggings and pool turning green, Rio is still running mostly ok.

>Saudi Arabia, Iran
Quaternary powers, regionally relevant, but hardly anything more than that. Israel is a greater power than both, but they didn't tick your box. Italy is more powerful because they're actually relevant in the West and have significant control in the Mediterranean. I guess you can toss in Pakistan into the tertiaries.

>Germany and Japan are highly debatable
>Two of the most powerful economies on the planet are highly debatable
>Germany, who determines the fate of the entire continent of Europe, is debatable as a secondary power
Are you retarded?

>Poland, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Indonesia and maybe Nigeria also deserve some recognition
>Turkey, Indonesia and Nigeria as anything higher than 5th rate powers
Oh, you are retarded. My bad.

>Are you retarded?
I say highly debatable because whilst they're obviously very powerful, they're also extremely subjugated to America. The fact that they're not on the permanent security council despite being powerful as fuck is a testament to their hindered power projection.

>>Turkey, Indonesia and Nigeria as anything higher than 5th rate powers
Since you included Brazil and South Africa I assumed tertiary meant strong regional powers. Which those three are.

Also I should include Pakistan.

Poland will only emerge as a power in its own right like Friedman predicted, provided Germany abrogate leadership of the EU or the whole thing collapses, or a Russia-instigated crisis begins in which it can take a leading role.

It would be nice to see the sissy Batlics (especially Lithuanians) and Ukranians cuckholes have to kiss Poland's sweaty ballsack for their survival after talking shit about Poles for so long. It would be nice to see Germans beg Poland to save them.

Poland would of course be destroyed in the process, as always

Because the Industrial Revolution and modern colonialism started in Britain and spread to Europe and Russia. Better technology=more success and power. Japan was a tiny, inconsequential nation until they overthrew their entire civilization and industrialized like Europe. China did the same thing in the Communist Revolution.

If you industrialize earlier than most other nations, you win. Europe won first, then America, then Japan, and now the rest of the world is slowly catching up.

>The fact that they're not on the permanent security council despite being powerful as fuck is a testament to their hindered power projection
Ah, you're one of THOSE memers. UN bullshit means nothing. Germany and Japan absolutely are secondary powers.

>Since you included Brazil and South Africa I assumed tertiary meant strong regional powers
Brazil and South Africa are globally relevant economically while being strong regional powers, unlike your three. Mexico is more relevant than your three. They're probably quaternary while yours are 5th rate or so.

Either way, drop your trip. You're embarrassing yourself.

>regionally relevant, but hardly anything more than that
That's because EVERYONE'S interests lie in the Middle East. Why the fuck would Saudi Arabia focus on anything else when every superpower in the world is trying focusing on them?

>Italy is more powerful because they're actually relevant in the West
>Saudi Arabia isn't relevant for the West
Yeah nigger the petrodollar is nothing. I mean, lets ignore the fact that we've seen the whole of Western Civilization coalesce to fight wars to defend the interests of the Gulf States and mainly Saudi Arabia, right? That's just nothing. No, muh Italiy is so much more powerful because they're relevant in the EU (mainly as a negative force).

Middle Eastern powers don't focus much on other continents simply because they cannot afford to. Practically the whole world has their eyes set on them and if they don't pay attention they'll get fucked up the ass. That's why they need to suck up to one of the primary super powers and focus all their effort on fucking over other Middle Eatern powers.

Italy ain't shit compared to Iran or SA.

t. Drudge Report

Saudis are quaternary powers. Iran is a quaternary power. The U.S. used to fuck with Guatemala and Haiti on a regular basis, are you going to meme about how Guatemala and Haiti are relevant? Take your ball and go home, they aren't relevant. You're blowing things out of proportion to see what you want to see.

>Guatemala and Haiti
>Comparable to SA and Iran.
Not him but there's an act of blowing out of proporition.

>regionally relevant
>supposedly important because they're fucked with by GPs
Nah, that pretty much measures up.

google.es/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=the uniqueness of western civilization

Did US get all of NATO to fight for Guatemala and Haiti? Oh no wait, they only pretty much limited themselves to small scale covert bullshittery.

No countries were invaded, no coup d'etats were orchestrated, no propaganda in the scale of Iraq, Libya or Syria was produced. The scale is entirely different and the only reason you'd ignore that is to prove your shitty point.

Who the fuck who has a clue of geopolitics would actually suggest Italy is more relevant than Saudi Arabia or Iran??

Doesn't explain why China and Japan are the only non-western countries to reach the level and not other places.

Hello Ken-Sama

>No countries were invaded
Except both were invaded, multiple times.

>no coup d'etats were orchestrated
You wut. Both countries were couped, more than once.

>No propaganda in the scale
Are you serious? 1948-1991 saw more propaganda than you could eve dream of.

>Who the fuck who has a clue of geopolitics would actually suggest Italy is more relevant than Saudi Arabia or Iran
The G8+5, the UN, the IMF, World Bank and the CIA probably.

japan is the 4th most prosperous nation on earth. financially its the 4th largest economy. But they dont spend anything on military or weapons.

>Except both were invaded, multiple times.
>You wut. Both countries were couped, more than once.
Doesn't change the fact they were irrelevant shitholes. The Gulf states are literally an integral part of US hegemony. Can you say that about these third world shitholes only known for how bad they are?

>The G8+5, the UN, the IMF, World Bank and the CIA probably.
How about some sources then, buddy pal?

>How about some sources then, buddy pal?
Italy is literally in the G8(7). They are literally one of the 7 most economically advanced countries on earth. The +5 does not include Saudi Arabia or Iran. Why? They're fucking irrelevant outside of Central Asia and the Middle East. But yeah, you keep memeing about how Italy is irrelevant and barely regional powers are actually relevant. They're as relevant as North Korea.

Except that US ain't shit without the petrodollaridoos, which is why the Gulf states are its source of life.

Do Ottomans count as a great power?

Sick man of europe and all that but even the weakest of the great powers is still a great power.

>Except that US ain't shit without the petrodollaridoos
Yeah, sure we ain't Drudge.

Shut the fuck up already, not everyone is from America. I don't even know what the fuck drudge report is. Just kys.

>being this mad at the truth
Zerohedge pls.

Because the Great Powers of the early 20th century onward have taken enormous steps to ensure their status and curb any regional military ambitions that might challenge their political and economic hegemony. A new great power in Africa, South America, the Middle East, or Indian Ocean would disrupt the status quo, so the current powers support rival powers in the area to keep everyone in check.

>fuck i got wrecked
>better start calling him things

Do you really think OP did not mean contemporary? If so then why "have there been no" rather than "were there no"?

You didn't wreck anything. You memed about petrodollars and being fucked with like they were relevant in an attempt to diminish countries that are actually relevant. To put things in perspective, there's the G7(8) made up of top 7(8) countries. Then there's the +5 and the N11, which would be the next 5 and 11 in compared to the G7(8). Then there's the G20. Guess which country does not appear on any of those lists? Iran. Guess which country only appears on the G20, but not on any of the others? Saudi Arabia. They aren't relevant no matter how you want to meme it and you can sperg all you like but it doesn't change anything. They're irrelevant, your argument is irrelevant and YOU are irrelevant, not to mention just plain wrong.

>other than most of the human population why has there been no Great Powers in the modern era

So according to your logic Italy is more powerful than China.

Sure bud. You completely outdebated and outsmarted me! Time to concede!

>So according to your logic Italy is more powerful than China
See, that strawman would work, except China has a developed economy, is a nuclear state, is part of G7+5, a UN Security Council member, a founding member of BRICS, and the largest exporter of goods on Earth. You really should concede though, you're embarrassing yourself. No one considers the Saudis to be anything more than regionally relevant and they aren't even the most relevant country to their region.

Because they didn't manage to modernise

>See, that strawman would work, except
Except it's not a strawman but a one on one application of your argument.

>except China has a...
>goes to name a bunch of things that didn't count for shit before in the determining of a countries power, which could apparently be done by only looking at who ranks higher in the G forums

Lets now apply all these various criteria to SA:
>second most oil produced in the whole world
>has the most say on oil prices through OPEC, uses it for leverage
>has created Wahhabism, an ideology bound strictly to the Saudi family and exports it abroad
>head of the most potent and growing religion in the world

But yeah that's nothing. I mean, they're not in G8 so nothing else matters, right?

Btw did Russia lose its world power status after being kicked out of G8? Is Italy now more powerful than Russia?

>Doesn't change the fact they were irrelevant shitholes.
Hey man I'm from Guatemala ;_;