What's the best general history of the USSR?

What's the best general history of the USSR?

I'd love one which focuses on ideological and political changes, rather than economics and military history.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Russian_Revolution
pastebin.com/eEbXk5kp
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

upbaot

I don't know who it was but he was most likely purged by Stalin

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Russian_Revolution

I'm more interested in post-revolutionary history. Especially after 1945.

There is none that I know of, and with the growing disinterest in sovietology (especially apolitical sovietology, that doesn't even exist yet) it may be some years before there's enough time since its fall for someone to properly go through the archives and put out a definitive work on the matter.
That could be you, tho. Work on your Slavic languages.

Why is Sovietology dying?

Zhukov by far, my grandfather served under him too

How fucking old are you? My great grandfather disappeared in the war.

>Lenin wants to install a pinko cuckold SJW utopia
>it utterly fails, Lenin dies of syphilis
>enter Stalin, who recreated the tzarist regime while masquerading as a communist

Can you try re-typing that post without buzzwords?

18, Grandfather joined army at 16 years old when the Nazis invaded.

He was also one of the first ones to storm the Reichstag in the Battle of Berlin.

I lost other family members in that war like all Russians, including Great Grandfather too

Honestly? No.

How old are you?

AMA anything too I guess

bump

Do you speak Russian?

yeah, why?

What the fuck all my grandparents experienced the war one way or the other and I'm just 21.

user's relatives keep on having teen pregnancies i guess

The Soviet Century
Verso
Moshe Lewin

Excellent book

Unfortunately the bibliography I have deals primarily with the Cold War, but I found two books that start from the beginning

Haslam, Jonathan. Russia’s Cold War: From the October Revolution to the Fall of the Wall. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 2011.

In an effort to fill a gap in the prevailing Cold War historiography, which generally focuses on a Western perspective, Haslam presents the other side. Using archival material from numerous countries, including Russia, he analyzes East–West relations from 1917 to 1989. Haslam discusses the ways in which the Soviets exploited Western weaknesses.

Powaski, Ronald E. The Cold War: The United States and the Soviet Union, 1917–1991. New York: Oxford University Press, 1997.
Save Citation »Export Citation »E-mail Citation »
Powaski examines the contentious relationship between the United States and the Soviet Union within the broader context of the Cold War. He argues that the Cold War “crystallized” because of the divergent paths taken by the two nations after 1917 and that the origins of the Cold War were rooted in Czarist Russia and the “infancy” of the United States.

Cold War bibliography:
pastebin.com/eEbXk5kp