Tfw all the megafauna was killed off

>tfw all the megafauna was killed off
>you will never see an argentavis flying
>ywn observe giant sloths
>ywn taste mammoth meat

Other urls found in this thread:

inverse.com/article/11803-the-de-extinction-of-woolly-mammoths-would-be-a-big-steppe-toward-saving-humans
climatecolab.org/plans/-/plans/contests/2015/land-use-agriculture-forestry-livestock/c/proposal/1320191
pleistocenepark.ru/en/news
youtube.com/watch?v=wvIW2dVv8GU
youtube.com/watch?v=vpTHi7O66pI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>ywn taste mammoth meat
soon

As Putin came to visit the korean scienteists russia is cooperating with decodifying the frozen mammoth cadavres they found in Siberia he asked:
"Can we clone it?"
He asked for it.
He will get it.
We will see Putin riding shirtless on a mammoth in our lifetime.

On a serious note, they btfo'd the "Hurr we dont deserve mammoths, muh ethics!!" faction by proving that bigass herbivores in siberia might halt the greenhouse gasses trapped under the ice to escape by savannafying the tundra with their beneficial eating and shitting habits.

>bigass herbivores in siberia might halt the greenhouse gasses trapped under the ice to escape by savannafying the tundra with their beneficial eating and shitting habits.

Sauce please.

inverse.com/article/11803-the-de-extinction-of-woolly-mammoths-would-be-a-big-steppe-toward-saving-humans

climatecolab.org/plans/-/plans/contests/2015/land-use-agriculture-forestry-livestock/c/proposal/1320191

Here : )

There's some crazy lad in Siberia who's bought some land and is trying to recreate the mammoth steppe using wisent and deer and shit, so the mammoths will have a home if they are eventually cloned.

I wish him all the best desu

I know.
Here is his website where he blogs about his progress:
pleistocenepark.ru/en/news
I wish him best too, for all the effort and the noble goal.
Musk oxens are awesome btw and not even extinct even though they look like something that should.

Why does the past always seem so awesome and the present so boring?

Isn't the giant rhino native to Pakistan, and died out some 20 million years ago?

I heard plans of something similar in America, adding in lions and cheetahs, along with camels and other animals.

Becuase your life sucks.

Hey man, didn't you watch Jurassic Park?

This brings memories back from my early childhood.
My mom recorded some Discovery Channel documentary about an excavation to retrieve some Mammoth's vestiges and finished with the idea of cloning it. It was back in 2000.
Fuck, I'm getting old.

>Cave lions and Homotherium attacking Siberia and moving to Moscow and the rest of Eurasia within a few years

Sounds fun.

Replace early 2000s with mid 2000s and you're me. Discovering Walking with Beasts was amazing for me, only my dad didn't let me watch the 4th episode about Australopithecus. Guess why.

>halt the greenhouse gasses trapped under the ice to escape by savannafying the tundra
That's the stupidest idea I've ever heard.

The vegetation in the park started to change. In the areas where the horses grazed, the soil has been compacted[23] and mosses, weeds and willow shrub were replaced by grasses.[3][6][21][31] Flat grassland is now the dominating landscape inside the park.[30] The permafrost was also influenced by the grazers. When air temperature sank to –40 °C (–40 °F) in winter, the temperature of the ground was found to be only –5 °C (+23 °F) under an intact cover of snow, but –30 °C (–22 °F) where the animals had trampled down the snow. The grazers thus help keep permafrost intact, thereby lessening the amount of methane released by the tundra.[6][9]

>Guess why
Christian?

Those documentaries are amazing when you're young. I'm gonna feed my offspring with them (if I ever get to form a family :C).

Very Christian, 7th Day Adventist in fact. Anything related to human evolution was forbidden. It's why I didn't see Walking with Man until recently.

>Megatherium
>mfw
youtube.com/watch?v=wvIW2dVv8GU

>North American
No fossils found for the long necked giraffe like rhino in NA afaik

Large amounts of herbivores grazing land can reverse the effects of Human created climate change.

youtube.com/watch?v=vpTHi7O66pI

Would the mammoth be cost effective for meat supply? I'm only guessing that one full grown male mammoth would generate a shit load of meat, but would it be worth it?

Well, do people consistently eat elephants today?

Problem with bigger animals is they're generally harder to breed, at least at speed. So they'd probably be strictly preserved and not farmed

i want this to happen so bad.... i want to see the mammoths return in my lifetime. We've had shit like ISIS and Trump foisted upon us since 9/11, and now that the space shuttles are grounded we need some new, grander missions for humanity as a collective to work on. I hope I get to touch a living mammoth before pic related rolls around...

>Human created climate change.

There were megafauna birds in New Zealand until humans arrived in the 15th century.

BLOW UP THE MOON

Same with Australia. Aboriginals wiped 'em out and torched a lot of the savanna. That was their hunting method.

How come nobody ever brings this up when the Abos go on about their proud culture?

white people killed off a great many species too user. Nobody's innocent.

Well, they were incredible primitve at that time and if you are just a bunch of dudes with sharp stones in the savage wilds then you stop giving a fuck about the enviroment when it means that there will be no more poisonous 6 meter giant warans and Wolf-lions to eat you.

>you'll never see a Megalodon in the flesh

Must have been amazing and terrifying

that megatherium looks so fucking cute. I wish I could cuddle up with it like a goddamn bean bag or giant stuffed animal and take a nap.

>You will never see a whooly rhino stomping through the tundra, its massive horn penetrating the horizont.
>You will never see a bizarre groundsloth making a threatening gesture as it has spotted your curious aproach through the bushes.
>You will never see a massive elephant bird towering twice a man wandering trough the grassy plains.
>You will never see a diprotodon and wonder if the gods were drunk as they made this.

Saw one of those at the natural history museum. Incredible to think those used to exist. If I could resurrect one species it'd be that one, it's like some badass fantasy creature.

Why is this allowed? Why did they go extinct just before the rise of humankind?
>tfw someone in your family tree has interacted with them

>the rise

I guess bringing them down was part of the rise.

>yfw you will never be the only hitching a ride on its back.

;_; why can't life be more like my fantasy novels.

why were such amazing creatures hunted to extinction, it's just so heartbreaking.

The Glyptodon is weird as fuck as well.

I think it's actually kind of cute, like an armadillo.

I still can't understand how a fucking giant armadillo used to exist

He had armor, obviously.

wazzup?

This horned giraffe died out 8000 years ago in africa.

>weirdophant.jog
is that its scientific name?

This.

Fuck that guy.

Nah, I made shit up.
Have a unicorn.

Exactly, that's the point. There are no noble savages, just regular shite people.

Elephants have like a 2 year gestation period, and I assume Mammoths have a similar timespan. This is another problem with cloning since it takes so damn long to gestate an elephant or elemoth. Not like rats where you can change shit quickly with short generations.

Human created climate change.

....because Europeans killed off mega fauna too you fool. Everyone talks about it.
Bruh megafauna still exist in Africa. They had dealt with homo sapiens long enough to put up a fighting chance at survival by losing predator nativity beyond that of say the big cats they dealt with.

Personally I just wish the moa nalo, Kauai mole duck and Dromornis was still around.

Or maybe just the kakapo was much more prolific enough to own, breed and eat

>you will never live deep in the forest, tending berry laden "kakapo gardens" in treefall gaps raising kakapo :-(

>ignore a plethora of evidence backed up by 99% of all scientists
muh chinese consipracy
muh carbon tax

>ignore the fact 99% of those facts and papers were approved by scientists in the peer review system so those same scientists could keep receiving grant money from the left.
>what is cronyism invading scientific institutes?
Politics shouldn't be involved in science.

pls go back to ur containment board

>Implying the shoe string discrediting theories aren't funded by fossil fuel lobbies.
See, this argument works two ways.

Exactly! It's all bull shit these days!
Still China and India pollute the most, imo.

it's still naive to think that pumping greenhouse gases into the atmosphere won't somehow have an effect on the greenhouse effect.

To be fair Australia is a land filled with things that can kill you very easily.

It will but it's scale is exaggerated imp and we're getting off topic. Agee to disagree then argue later?

>imo
>west has polluted most throughout most of it's 200 year history
>"Abloo bloo, why are you industrializing and finding jobs?"

>build the modern world and all the luxuries you enjoy today

>waww why did you industrialize and become wealthy

No

>prehistory

Does this belong here rather than /an/ or Veeky Forums?

we're talking about things that were alive when humans were around so yes

But they weren't around when written records existed.

>all the megafauna was killed off
>all
NO

Many were, like mammoths and giant ground sloths.

>Does this belong here rather than /an/ or Veeky Forums?
This prehistory isn't related to history shit needs to stop. What about civilizations and peoples that hadn't discovered writing that co-existed with peoples that had? Prehistory in many ways is a subsection of history.

the great powers give up peace and arm themselves return to war. let the pacifist "we're better than war" arrogance end once and for all

>mfw dinosaur names combine Latin and Greek

>So I told Sergei we were bringing back mammoths """soon""" and he actually bought land for them the absolute madman haahhaha

God dammit I left your containment board to escape this level of autism

This actually bothers me.
I'd try mammoth meat.

Lots of hype and crazy when reviving mammoths is involved.
Some korean scientist worked with and payed the russian mafia to get him mammoth DNA and tissue samples and stuff.

Please bring mammoths back. That's the only thing I want to see before I die. Humans have been travelling in space since 1961. Why can't scientists revive those majestic creatures?

There's a book I just read that covers this topic called "Once and future giants". There definitely some interesting stuff in here but not the best book I've ever read, you could probably plough through it pretty quick.

I fucking love ancient birds

why dont you marry them then?

Holy shit you can see birds are basically modern theropod dinos in that pic - particularly the two big bastards with raptor beaks.

welcome to the wonderful world of geology

Humans /are/ megafauna.

>yfw we're living only a few thousand years from the last dinosaur large enough to easily kill a grown man

>yfw the pyramids were built before mammoths went extinct

>the last dinosaur large enough to easily kill a grown man
Ostriches, emus, and cassowaries still exist user.

Too Shay.

These things must've been scary as fuck when they were alive.

Fuck that.

>
On a serious note, they btfo'd the "Hurr we dont deserve mammoths, muh ethics!!" faction by proving that bigass herbivores in siberia might halt the greenhouse gasses trapped under the ice to escape by savannafying the tundra with their beneficial eating and shitting habits.
Do you remember that Simpsons episode about the snakes that eat lizards, and the gorillas that eat snakes?

It's weird when you realize that humans were alive when these things were roaming earth and hunting them

This, these are way scarier than anything that exists today. Fast as fuck, and could literally rip you to pieces.

Interesting how one major natural disastrous event just fucked these species over for the rest of the life of this planet.

Really makes you think.