Is dadaism still relevant today?

Is dadaism still relevant today?

In politics it seems to be pretty much the standart nowadays.

Is Dada itself relevant? I don't know. The aesthetics of their photomontage and collage works are pretty normalised though, very familiar to the contemporary audience.

No.

The Fountain isn't Dada

It's the symbol of dadaism what are you talking about

Dadaism was basically the fucking banksy of it's era, shallow and self important whilst viewing itself as radically inconoclastic and revolutionary

>Tate book of art

Unfortunately, yes. Everyone in art nowadays wants to be Duchamp without realizing that the joke has been old for literally a century now.

Contemporary art is about 50% wannabe Duchamps, 30% social justice art for circlejerk reasons, and 10% quality artwork.

t. museum guard who grew disillusioned with the art world when in an art focused high school who sees little but bullshit in every visiting contemporary collection

YouTube poops are post-Dadaism.

Yes especially the influence of duchamp and readymades, sadly most of it is garbage missing the point of what duchamp was doing. Compare koons to duchamp etc.

Yes it is

>you will never be a bohemian artist living in Zurich during WW1 working on your avante garde art and chain-smoking cigarettes while discussing revolutionary politics with your radical friends at the coffehaus every day

many internet memes are dadaist

>not realizing the traditional art world has become glorified money laundering on a world-historical scale

It's almost brilliant how brazen it is.

Was Dada ever intended to be relevant?

>dada
>intention

maybe

>people unironically think this is art

Nazis had the right idea

Everything not giving a nod towards Dada is irrelevant

Do not go for the art/not art dichotomy. It muddies the waters even further. I stick to the good art/bad art dichotomy. I base this disctinction on what appeals to me.

Hasn't hurt me.

I guess in the sense that most people see modern art as stupid pretentious bullshit without a purpose.

No.

Memes will be remembered as the art of the early 21st century. We will be remembered for our shitty ironic humor, that starts out well, til it does what memes do - spread - and beaten to the ground.

>dadaism
>futurism
>memes
>some other irrelevant artistic movement

How long til memes as we know them go away? Btw we might not recognize it as art, but I'm more than sure that future historians in hindsight will. How would you even define the expressiveness of memes? Necessarily jokes or something more? really makes u think...

Was Dadisim purely about subversion? Does that undermine the art itself, when it's purpose is to subvert the idea of artistic expression? Is subversion an emotion to be expressed through art, or is it inherently anti-artistic in nature?

I might just be a big sincere pussy though.

There will only be one golden age of memes that lasted only 2 years, from 2005-2007.

Oh, I know. Lockheed Martin has poured millions into our museum.

DADDADAA DADDADDA DADDAADD DADDAADD DDDDDDDD DADAADDA DADDAAAA DADADADA DADADDAD DADADDAA DADDDADA DADDAADD DADDDAAD

a lot of it was a rejection of society that led to WWI, youve asked a lot of pretty pertinent questions but i don't think you'll find a single right answer since Dada was hardly a unified and coherent movement

some of duchamp's readymade stuff can be seen as more explicitly anti-art for instance, but i wouldn't say so of the techniques of collage/cut-up/photomontage etc by the likes of schwitters or hausmann

Had a co worker who's daughter was going to art school in NYC years ago. Through her i met some of the most pretentious twats i've ever encountered in my whole life. Holy shit the crap that they came up with and called "art".

>he's not even anti-anti-art

Was pepe really 2005? I know pepe existed as a comic back then, but I don't think he acheived meme status. The closest thing to pepe meme back then was spiders. Certainly not in his current form as frogposting.

Also those 2010 template memes are shit and basically killed real OC. No, they're not anything like exploitables. Advice dog type memes will be debated as to whether or not they were any good like pop art. There will be lots of people defending them because template meme generators made memes much more accessible, but they also made them much more shit.

They're porbably going off the comic where the 'Feels good, man.' pic comes from. The meme's be reaction imag fodder, but yeah, a or so ago he's exploded in popularity and became nearly cancerous. Ithere's a lot of shitty variants of feels guy lately too.

It is literally the defining symbol of dadaism.

meant for

we used to call him feel good frog...

what happened?

Very relevant on Veeky Forums atleast. Just take a look at /int/

Nah. Memes peaked around two years ago when they became mockery of themselves