State of the world

What time period in history most accurately reflected the conditions of the present day? Ex: Widespread terrorism, Political extremism etc...

Rome at its height

Interwar period

Late 1920's America or the Weimar Republic

Nice memes

Nice alternative suggestion

Pre-WW1 Europe

Balkans were like the ME today. Rising extremism everywhere

Probably the best answer

Is Syria our First Balkan War?

i wonder about this a lot, like if we can really draw parallels between nowadays and olden times

obviously we can see similarities but it seems at least nowadays people are a lot more """nihilistic""" and not as nationalistic and so on and that things seem more relaxed

but it's hard to tell how much of my opinion of those older times is wrong because only nobles etc were able to write

there really is nothing new under the sun. However tech advances allow us to be bombarded with far more information than before so we know what is happening nearly instantly. The fact that we have the sum of human knowledge at our fingertips helps

This tbqh

Iraq is the First Balkan War. Simple, but unsustainable. Syria is the Second Balkan War: a clusterfuck.

well the only thing is that nowadays in the western world at least religion seems to be not nearly as prevalent. but then again it's hard to say how fervently religious the common man was 300 yrs ago because as i said earlier communications and so on were limited to the upper classes

people at least in the West seem more knowledgeable about history than they were before and this may lead to a disposition against war

oh shit

how do we prevent WW3?

Nukes

The present day.

Shit thread.

1900s to 1920s ottoman empire territories
rising nationalism and terrorism was rampant everywhere, millions died, millions were deported

If anything I'd say they're more nationalistic now than any other time period except maybe the late 18th to early 20th century.

Rome during the gothic invasions

Hi Stefan!

>What time period in history most accurately reflected the conditions of the present day? Ex: Widespread terrorism, Political extremism etc...
Early 20th century.

the easter islands before resource depletion set in

sumeria before salination of fields was a huge problem

the Khmer empire, mayans and wari culture before climate change caused massive famines

it's worth mentioning that nationalism is a fairly new, and industrial-age concept

climate change is a non-issue for the US, who still treats food security as a rather serious thing. It's China, Africa and Europe that will have problems