When did the egyptian faith die?

When did the egyptian faith die?
I imagine the invasion of Islam would be the nail in the coffin, but there must have been some villages that still practiced it.
And are there any modern practitioners in Egypt?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/MtK3sCs-Jlk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siwa_language
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coptic_language
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_language#Classification
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siwa_language#Consonants
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_language#Consonants
egyptianmyths.net/lotus.htm).
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Egypt was already converted to Christianity by the time of the Arab invasion.

When YHWH took His people out of bondage 3500 years ago, after sending a plague on each and every major god in their pantheon.

I know this, thats why i said the nail in the coffin.
I'm more interested in if there where still temples and stuffs

Nail in the coffin means something that causes an end to something else. The analogy only works if you believe there was some form of Egyptian paganism in the 7th century, but there wasn't.

The Christianization of Rome in Late Antiquity was the final nail in the coffin of the old Egyptian religion.

their gods just took new names

Nail in the coffin means the end. It ended with Christianity not Islam.

I'm just surprised all the Egyptian statues of gods and shit managed to survive two abrahamic religions.

>When did the egyptian faith die?

Siwa oasis was pagan until the 12th century. That would be the final hideout of the Egyptian faith, albeit in a very syncretized and folkish form.

The last pagan temple in Egypt was destroyed by a mob of Christian fanatics and converted into a church

Early Byzantine era

>Siwa oasis was pagan until the 12th century.
We don't know if it converted from paganism to Islam in the 12th century, or from Christianity to Islam. Furthermore, Arab sources say the oasis was inhabited by Berbers, who if pagan would be unlikely to follow Nile Egyptian religious customs and would instead have their own tradition.

When the white devils decided they they want it gone.

There's no known Christian artifacts in Siwa, so they were most likely still Pagan. Siwa was under tremendous Egyptian influence and was considered a part of Egypt during the Classical Period. While the local language was a Berber dialect, the material culture and religion were offshoots of the Egyptian civilization.

As to the decline of Egyptian religion in Egypt proper, it is obvious from archaeological record that there was a decline that actually preceded the rise of Christianity. Construction of new temples largely ceased by 3rd century AD and soon existing temples also fall into disrepair. The creation of hieroglyphic inscription also declines and by early 4th century they are produced only in a few location, increasingly in a bastardized form, only to disappear entirely by the end of 5th century.

It is now thought that Christianity did not directly replace the native Egyptian religion. Rather, it filled the void left by the rapid decline of the native faith. The decline seems to be cause both by the general chaos (3rd century was quite turbulent and dangerous in Egypt) and the rise of various sects. The crisis must have hit hard the Egyptian priestly class and very likely undermined its authority.

However, it should be noted that the agony of paganism in Egypt actually took centuries and it's next to impossible to pinpoint the exact moment it dissapeared. The reason is that, as usual, syncretism kicked it. Villagers, though nominally Christian (and later Muslim) seem to continue to make offerings in sacred places for several centuries to come.

I've always thought that the Siwa language sounds close to Coptic and has similar phonetics.

youtu.be/MtK3sCs-Jlk

The other usual candidates for Ancient Egyptian relatives or descendants are Cushites such as the Afar, Somalis, and Beja.

Fuck off retard

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siwa_language
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coptic_language

Even when Egypt was mostly Islamic in the Middle Ages most people kept parts of ancient Egyptian religion alive through a variety of syncretic practices. Its been a while since I've read the sources in this, but I think that a lot of Egyptian polytheistic rites were kept around under the Egyptian form of Islam until the invasion of the Ottoman Empire, after which the ottomans replaced it with their personal brand of Islam and branded the Egyptian religion based version of Islam as heresy.

The syncretic offerings where specifically discontinued by a single Islamic ruler, which could potentially lead to an exact end date to Egyptian religion as an idea. Their name escapes me though

And? What does that prove other than both being Afro-Asiatic and Egyptian not being conclusively placed within another branch.
>Egyptian shows its greatest affinities with Semitic, and to a lesser extent Cushitic.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_language#Classification

Many statues depict mothers with babies. I can point to two equine statues of generals but it doesn't meant they're the same person.

As a matter of fact it matches closely with Egyptian proper than it does with Coptic.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siwa_language#Consonants
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_language#Consonants

>The last pagan temple in Egypt was destroyed by a mob of Christian fanatic
>The last

You can still see dozens of ancient Egyptian temples, some dating back almost to 2000 bc

>When did the egyptian faith die?

Never, Judaism is still a major world religion.

Come on you mean to tell me there isn't some form of synchretism between Christian and Egyptian Paganism in Egypt, at least at a popular level?

No it doesn't

I love
Coptic icons. They look like cartoons.

No, but copts are proud of their pagan legacy.
The top of the coat of arms is decorated with Coptic crosses intertwined with lotus flowers, representing Egyptian identity. Coptic crosses are made of four arms equal in length, each of which is crossed by a shorter arm (a form of the heraldic "Cross Crosslet"). They are different from the Latin cross that possesses three short arms and a longer arm. The lotus flower, also known as the Egyptian White Water-lily (Nymphaea lotus), is one of ancient Egypt's most highly regarded flowers(and is a symbol in egyptian myths egyptianmyths.net/lotus.htm).
The black background behind the ornaments is a symbol of Kimi or Kemet, the Egyptian name of Egypt, which means the Black Land. Beneath these ornaments is a green line in the middle of the coat of arms, which represents the Nile Valley. Around it are two yellow lines that symbolize the Eastern and Western Deserts of Egypt. These two lines are in turn flanked by two blue lines that represent the Mediterranean Sea and the Red Sea that enclose Egypt. Finally, these lines are separated by red lines symbolizing Coptic blood, which has been shed all over Egypt since Egyptians adopted Christianity and until today.

That is very intereting. Thanks for sharing.

Egypt was the heartland of Christianity for hundreds of years.

Modern worship is called kemeticism. It runs the gamut from hardcore autists who can speak and read ancient Egyptian using primary sources and archaeology to recreate the system of practices to wewuzian tier crazies and hyper eclectic.

There's Egyptian neopagaism in the west, but it's wholly the province of cat ladies and the religion of choice for We Wuzism.

Christianity absolutely wrecked earlier religions and pagan cultures. This is an overlooked part of history. Islam and its statue-wrecking pales in comparison to what early Christians accomplished in the Roman empire and Europe. Book burnings, statue crushing, desecration of holy places, outright killing of pagans and such.

>Islam and its statue-wrecking pales in comparison to early Christians
Hyperbole much?