Indulge me in a thought experiment:

An atheist and another man are on a cruise ship, far removed from anybody else on the ship.

The man, who is a stranger to the atheist, accidentally falls over the railing and into the water.

What motivates the atheist to try and prevent the man from drowning?

(It doesn't matter how the atheist helps, whether he throws him a life preserver, calls ship crew to help, or dives in after him - so long as he put forth the effort to help save his life)

Other urls found in this thread:

businessinsider.com/two-year-old-hit-by-car-in-china-2011-10
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect#Notable_examples
aeon.co/essays/do-we-need-a-telepathy-machine-when-we-already-have-empathy
cbc.ca/news/canada/the-bystander-effect-1.1059522
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

To save the man's life so he can go on living the one life he's got to live.

People generally don't like letting other people die because it would make them sad

goodness

Human nature.

AKA Empathy which is a natural human emotion/trait.

Unless he is 1 out of 100 human sociopath... Well then you are fucked.

Biologically and culturally ingrained altruism, mirror neurons, and the rational expectation of future reciprocity

His sense of morality innate to all humans.

The atheist isn't entirely removed from Christianity.

If we're implying that he was a westerner, he was still brought up in a society that was influenced by Christian morals for centuries. I don't know how much of it is biological and how much of it cultural, though.

What does Christianity have anything to do with this scenario?

I don't know. Would a Chinese tourist who was an atheist or a communist do anything?

I suspect some would.

There's a .webm floating around on the web of a Chinese 3 year old getting run over by a truck somewhere in China. He lies dead in the street for hours upon hours on end before someone finally does something - which is simply to pick him up and move the body out of the way of traffic.

Like it or not, Christianity has shaped the western world.

Actually, there are times where the Chinese don't help people out of fear of being sued.

businessinsider.com/two-year-old-hit-by-car-in-china-2011-10

This.

It depends on the atheist, for fuck's sake. I can't believe anyone bothered replying anything else.

If you are implying that the atheist would save the drowning stranger only because he was influenced by Christianity, I think that's absurd.

What we call morality is innate to humans, not specific religions.

To be fair, there are Christians who just pray for people and not lift a finger.

What motivates him to let him drown?

Indifference, maybe his nice suit might get wet.

Empathy

Because trying to help the drowning man requires effort. He can simply choose to not do anything at all and continue to enjoy his cruise ship vacation.

The atheist is moved by the empathetic experience of not wanting to drown himself, and therefore assumes the stranger wouldn't want to drown. He goes and helps the person.

If he is an actual sailor, he does what his training has told him he has to do in this situation.

If he is from Quebec, Good Samaritan laws require him to do something to help, unless he would be subjecting himself to grave danger.

I read about a study where researchers dropped a pen in front of children, who would reliably pick it up for them, even if the researcher was being a bit of a jerk.

If he doesn't, Phil Collins will write a song about him.

The bystander effect is hardly particular to the Chinese
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect#Notable_examples

(OP)
>What motivates the atheist to try and prevent the man from drowning?

Oh, I don't know, natural human empathy or social morals. Religion isn't the source of morals. EVERYTHING HAVING TO DO WITH MORALITY ORIGINATED IN THE HUMAN BRAIN, INCLUDING RELIGION.

Empathy.

nicely played.

>there was no morality before christianity

kys christcuck

A woman in New York was savagely raped and killed over half an hour while dozens of witnesses did nothing

Kek

References

A normal person will attempt to save the drowning man because of their ingrained sense of social responsibility, supported by their naturally-occurring empathy.

Even a psychopath would likely choose to help the man, recognizing the high chance of reward or positive recognition in exchange for relatively little effort.

This led me to successfully perform CPR on a total stranger. No recognition except from the paramedics, none needed.

Would he be able to enjoy his cruise knowing he allowed someone to drown?

Would he be able to enjoy his cruise through all the hubbub of a passenger having died?

Would he be able to enjoy his cruise after its cancelled due to legality issues surrounding the passenger's death?

Etc.

I think you replied to the wrong person, because the comment you replied to didn't say anything of the sort.

I hope you didn't the mouth breathing thingy.

That's not very hygienic.

Come on, user. We're all mouth-breathers here.

The bystander effect does not explain someone intervening, but in a totally unhelpful and callous manner.

No one thinks like that.

Well, psychopaths, but the drowning man would have to be pretty unlucky for his rescuer to be one.

Nah the would do it for potential reward.

This

The one's who actually believe what the Bible says, you mean. Funny how only "bad" Christians act in ways others recognize as moral...

If they thought there would be one. They might just watch him drown because it would be cool to see happen.

Having someone i. Your debt is quite a reward.

He's just a stranger on a boat, likely you'll never see him again.

Perhaps but this line orlf reasoning is pointless anyway.

Where does that come from I wonder.

Evolving as a social animal.

Evolution.

>only the religious can have morals

This mentality always scares me, how many religionfags are sociopaths who only do good because they want a nice afterlife? That's some selfish fucked up thinking

>inb4 spooks

I'm assuming you're talking about Kitty Genovese, the NYT, who ran the original story, has since admitted it was an exaggeration

>While there was no question that the attack occurred, and that some neighbors ignored cries for help, the portrayal of 38 witnesses as fully aware and unresponsive was erroneous. The article grossly exaggerated the number of witnesses and what they had perceived. None saw the attack in its entirety. Only a few had glimpsed parts of it, or recognized the cries for help. Many thought they had heard lovers or drunks quarreling. There were two attacks, not three. And afterward, two people did call the police. A 70-year-old woman ventured out and cradled the dying victim in her arms until they arrived. Ms. Genovese died on the way to a hospital.

It was almost 18 years ago, and I'm still here. The guy was about 80 and collapsed. No breathing, no heartbeat. And no assistance from the two bystanders, one of whom just legged it. The other I sent to call rescue and came back drinking a soda.

Paramedics took over with a breathing bag and gave me a thumbs up, a pat on the back and a swig of water and peroxide to rinse my mouth out with. And that's the last I saw of him.

It's a common fallacy. Humans can do good without religion. We are a gregary species, we feel good helping others.

>What motivates the atheist to try and prevent the man from drowning?
Self interest. He needs to be part of society to survive and prosper, and society comes with certain obligations. Like helping your fellow man when needed.
I also think preserving other humans from death might come as a biological instincts.

>Dude, he just does so because he does so;
>muh empathy buzzword;
Empathy isn't a good thing.
It's the same mechanism you use when you try to fuck someone over or hate a group.
aeon.co/essays/do-we-need-a-telepathy-machine-when-we-already-have-empathy
One reply that isn't just parroted cliches and buzzwords.

Empathy, obviously.

What would motivate a theist?

Isn't death supposed to be wonderful for godfags?

One of the other examples on the wiki page involves a guy who got stabbed on a sidewalk in New York. 25 people walked by him, some took photos, one guy rolled him over and walked away.
cbc.ca/news/canada/the-bystander-effect-1.1059522

>What would motivate a theist?
Reward in the afterlife.

>Isn't death supposed to be wonderful for godfags?
Only if you don't go to Hell.

But the post you pointed out as not "parroted cliche and buzzwords" is just what we call in aggregate "empathy".

I won't say you are trying to implicate what I'm about to say, but does not having a religion mean you can't have some respect for others' lives and wellbeing?

No.