Death is the great plight of humanity...

Death is the great plight of humanity. How does one deal with it if not through religion or nihilism/extreme rationalism. Not just your own death but also family and love ones

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/mjQwedC1WzI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Use your knowledge of the world and find out the best means of living the life.

Death is a natural state of all existence. Without death there is no life.

Why is death a plight? Untimely death is pretty shitty, especially when pain is involved but death itself is a naturally occurring state.

There's nothing to be dealt with.

We're burdened by our knowledge of death. ever since human beings exist we try to avoid death and relieve the pain derived from it (its ok my wife died she's in heaven now). Every society tries to bring meaning to it or distract itself of it (religion, mindless entertainment, future goals). Is a fact that death is burden that only human beings can carry.

Pursuit of the construction of the Machine.

Then again, unending life is equally, if not unbelievably more terrifying than death, and it might not even be optional.

Why does everyone keep spouting the meme that unending life would be somehow bad? Just fucking sleep if you are bored or something.

Sleep a billion years, life is still there when you wake up. A trillion, the same. Sleep in the nothingness between universes, as entire realities flutter into and out of being around you, and existence will still be there when you wake up.

The stars are only going to burn for so long since there is a finite amount of hydrogen. Eventually there will be nothing but cold darkness. Which do you prefer: non-existence or being awake forever in the void?

In those at least 3 billion years, do you think we could not advance to the point in either making do without such stars, or escaping the universe in some fashion? Look at how human advancement accelerates.

I think it's a huge assumption to think that human advancement is so limitless that we can exit the universe itself. The bar is that high: the universe itself is a sinking ship heading toward a rip or heat death. We don't even know if there are other universes. What if this is the only one?

1)Hedonism to distract you
2)Work hard and be busy to distract you
3)Accept your fate and be either scared, sad, or lose all emotion

Religion exists for a reason mate

>not wanting to be the only being in the universe
>witness earth's end
>the sun's death
>the galaxy, the universe
>literally dreaming among the star
>basically a god
>a melancholic, alone in all nothingness, above everything, near lovecraftian god
>not wanting this

nigga I asked exacly because I know those reason and they're bullshit

You have made this appealing actually. Only problem is that there is likely a cap on how much memory you can store. I wonder whether my long term memory would become static or new memories would eventually copy over my childhood, eventually my entire life among humanity

probably no. You would live hundreds of thousands of years before humanity ended, maybe millions. Then there could be stuff still going on on earth to make up new memories. then once youre in space with stuff happening in a span of millions of years you wouldnt have new lasting memories cause everything would be the same. Your life among humans would be a distant faint memory if not something so faint and distant you sometimes wonder if they even existed. If humans weren't just characters of your dreams or figures of your imagination you made up to amuse yourself.

Even this seems appealing to me somehow

Death ain't a big deal for me.

I wouldn't want to die early but that's just because I don't want to stop living yet.

do you like contradicting yourself?

I meant the experience of being dead more specifically.

I don't want life to end yet, but being dead isn't something I see as negative.

>how does one deal with death

you want to know a secret? you don't

there's nothing you can do that will 100% reduce the mystery, fear and sorrow of death

learn to live uncomfortably

I like to think the energy in my body will be redistributed throughout the earth. Worms will eaty body and birds will eat the worms. Everything that is me will be recycled, the universe wastes nothing.

Learn to accept it.

The best way to reflect upon death is to remind yourself every time you sweat the small stuff in life, that you're actually going to die and forever be gone.

I think the realization of mortality can have a positive effect on you, in that you will actually pursue the things that you truly want to do in life, you just have to focus on living in the present moment.

Crash Course (lefty propaganda as it can be) made a pretty good video about perspectives on death. It actually puts your mind at ease quite a lot

youtu.be/mjQwedC1WzI

by not thinking about it

And from the darkness the flames will reignite and a new kingdom will be born.

>Without death there is no life.
Thats some serious malarchy, friend.
>without x you cant have non-x
That's beyond stupid, like saying, without unicorns you cant have non-unicorns (say a horse or a chair).
When you stop seeing religion as religion then you'll have successfully escaped the nihilism of post modern culture.
Be more rational, rational in the heart.
its the opposite.
Nice pseudo-science and cherry picked examples.....
I bet you haven't gone beyond your worldview in terms of deep relationships.
Judging by that I am saddened deeply by not being able to regain the past 2 years, it seems to be that being unable to regain the past 200,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 would be grounds for a real understanding of Hell.
>non-existence or being awake forever in the void?
To few options.
I'd rather go to heaven or valhalla
>Religion exists for a reason mate
To bring truth to man obviously.
Obviously all religions are the exact same thing otherwise it would give a problem to your non-analytical non-historical perspective of religion.
Yep, religion is entirely monolithic....

Veeky Forums was cool before the "intellectuals" came.

>If humans weren't just characters of your dreams or figures of your imagination you made up to amuse yourself.
You wouldn't become senile you demi-tard.
You'd remember vividly the great revelries, you would most of all remember the happiness even if you couldn't remember the reason, you'd remember the emotion and with that memory eternal suffering is yours, if you did lose old memories, the existing in such an unending life would be akin to an afterlife in non-existence, all would cease, and when even the self ceases, you would be in a state of suspended animation (lack of motor function) time would blur and cease to exist and you'd be there without even knowing it (akin to death) or you would be suffering eternally tortured by what you can not attain.

>its the opposite

In what way is death not a naturally occurring state? Now note I didn't say it was a natural state. I said naturAlly occurring.

Where did I say specifically that its the opposite of a naturally occurring state?
In the case I grant you I said that exactly, can you prove that it is naturally occurring? (Barring naturalistic fallacy or perhaps a clash of worldview is apparent).
You don't want to think, too bad.
Use your brain, re-read what I said and try to understand, if you still have questions do not hesitate to ask.

>>Without death there is no life.
>Thats some serious malarchy, friend.
>>without x you cant have non-x
>That's beyond stupid, like saying, without unicorns you cant have non-unicorns (say a horse or a chair).
You're a big dummy who doesn't understand biology
Breh, you need your decomposers to remove corpses/bacteria ridden things from enviornments, who will eventually release nutrients back into the environment, where plants use it to grow. Then, up the food chain it goes.

Big dummy, you are one big dummy.

>Nice pseudo-science and cherry picked examples.....
>I bet you haven't gone beyond your worldview in terms of deep relationships.
nice bullshit and no counter arguments
>"intellectual" is a pejorative word
>in a humanities board
haha gud one

In order for living to survive we must eat the dead. This is biology.

why so ded tho