What got you interested in History?

What got you interested in History?
>Literally the Goat

The Holocaust of course.

School, to be perfectly honest.
I loved reading through the history textbooks, and once I was done with those, I started buying books on the subjects that interested me the most.

Dude, hailing from Egypt, I never really got to know shit about how rich our history is because muh Islam
Once I started learning about that shit I never stopped and Got hooked. I read all types of history shit on all the Egyptian Kingdoms etc

Wait, you actually don't learn about ancient Egypt in fucking Egypt of all places?
WEWUZNT

However yeah we're kinda lucky in my country. Aside from a not so slight commie bent in 20th century local history, our books and academia is quite good and impartial. Mostly because we weren't much of a factor from the early modern period onward, so no real nationalistic shitflinging from or towards us.

Nationalists in Egypt aren't that bad. It's the fundamentalist Nationalists that are the problem. That and most people don't really care about them because muh prophet Muhammad. The only people who care somewhat are bedouins and tourist scum who only know king Tut

>really hated studying history all my life due to school
>there is a "u gotta learn the text by heart XD" policy were I live
>gave up on it and said shit like "hurrr, it's not like shit that happened 1000 years ago are important"
>Got into STEM
>I got to use public transit for 2,5 hours daily to go to uni
>One day as I'm returning home, there's a semi-hobo selling books in front of the subway station
>think "fuck it, might as well read something rather than just wait to get home"
>cheapest book was about the Balkan wars
>buy it
>holy shit that's interesting
>buy more history books
>eventually regret my choices for getting into STEM

Basically this, I had a string of great history teachers that made me interested

Is that Robin?

I can't remember.

The second this bad boy came out of my nutri-grain box baby

What county?

My year six teacher pulled one of the absolute best bits of curriculum I've ever seen. He managed to get through a day's work in a third of a day, and spend the rest of the day doing history and real science. He ran five or six historical roleplays, one of which was a properly in depth one set in Ancient Greece, where each person ruled their own city state. A select few of us hopped on the train, and he spent all of his extra school time teaching us Warhammer and about the Romans, to the point of talking through the story of the first five Roman Emperors with acting and reading out the entirety of King Arthur to the class, and having everyone act in it.

Sporty people and people utterly uninterested in history or fantasy loved when we read King Arthur, the dude was the best teacher I've ever met.

My country's history. I woke up one day thinking
>Man, I'd love to know more about this country's past

A slow journey that took years for it to truly flourish. When I was in year 2 or 3 (grade 1 or 2), we had a day where everyone in the school had to dress as ancient Greeks. Most of the day was us just reenacting Greek myths. I remember always being interested in it after, expecting another day like that. As I got older, the expectation of another day like that died but the love of history grew.

t. Brit from a CoE school

Rome: Total War.

I loved that shit as a kid, it got me into Roman history which branched out from there.

Asterix and Obelix

Sounds pretty gay desu

And this

I honestly don't remember

I've just always loved it

I read these books almost religiously in elementary school

Probably a nicely illustrated "Atlas of the Ancient World" that showed how people lived in the major world civilizations.
Then this, and Pharaoh:

My 7th grade history teacher. He covered post-civil war American and World history but also political and economic theories. We did history and politics-themed role-playing games and his weekly map quizzes made me better at geography too.

This one, in fact. How nostalgic.

same man.

Hate how its steadily become SJW ammo over the years what with the TV series they had and all. really loved the books for not really giving a shit about politics and just being fuanny but informative.

Hell even 'The Woeful second world war' wasnt too political about it all from what i remember.

Pic related

kys unironically

Age of Empires II. I was already into history channel documentaries (RIP) when I got this game in 1st grade, but it solidified my interest.

What, you think I take it seriously? AC just entices interest in whenever the game is set. The history and plot of the games themselves are garbage.

I don't remember the name of it or what channel it was on, but there was this live-action kids show that I watched when I was little where a boy and a girl would travel back in time to historical events.

Time Chasers or something?

kys

this.

Nice meme

literally this series, although looking back I"m not sure how accurate it was. it had a long bibliography though

T H I S

>play Rome: Total War
>pick up books on Roman history
>pick up books on Europe after the Roman Empire fell
>further and further down the rabbithole

Ironically enough I soon became more interested in political/legal history than military shit, so Roman history started to bore me and I picked up shit like the French Revolution, English Civil Wars, American Revolution, etc.

Band of Brothers, which got me interested in WWII history, from which i got interested in Cold War History and WWI history, and so on..

granddad used to take walks with me past old ruins and tell me stuff about them
and when it rained tons of dusty old history books to keep me busy

damn I miss that man

dad

Colonial Latin America (sixteenth-early nineteenth century).

and granddads

church and mythology got me really interested in the ancient world as a child, then I just sort of went from there

My grandpa was a hs history teacher, so he always had interesting books I'd look at whenever I was at his house, and he would take me to historical places in the west (pony express stops, bodie, forts, etc)

>be me, seven years old
>go to Montessori school
>they bring in a computer, has a cool online dictionary program
>around the same time my family gets a German Shepard dog
>search "German Shepard"
>hitler is the first result
>read obsessively about Adolf Hitler
>hitler becomes my childhood hero

Reading the Bible.

I think I never was really interested in History until two events in quick sequence:
I was playing Reistance and Liberation, a WW2 source mod that tries to be realistic. I was playing as German and I got shot from a distance or something, so I dropped my rifle. For some reason, I then started to role play, and, instead of trying to find another rifle or just die so I can re-spawn, I ran, scared, to the safety of a church.
I found this very strange, and it made me think about how, for most of history, we just imagine enemy soldiers as enemy fanatics, instead of just the worried, young Wehrmacht soldier I was pretending to be.
This was then compounded as I was in a world history class later, and there was a segment of the video we were watching (american "education") where Hitler was giving a speech without subtitles. And, in the moment, I thought: "You know, if I was a poor German youth, raised in a ruined society with no hope for a future, I would probably believe what [Hitler] was saying."
So then I started learning a lot about WW2, and that expanded outwards as I started learning the stories in Age2, and then PrinceOfMastadon got me interesting in Total War, then later into CK2.

A uni history class on 18th-19th century Europe i took for credits

Made me change my minor

Age of Empires and the World Book Encyclopedia

9/11

As far back as elementary school I can remember being puzzled, and a little upset, by how my history books and classes presented a version of events that didn't clearly explain how the major events in history led to one another. That led to me start doing my own reading and trying to understand how the world came to be the way it is today.

You mean Prince of Macedon?

We were learning about the continents in 1st grade and i was the only one that would color all of them in or want to learn more about them.

this Jew right here

I was so amazed by his Game of Thrones-esque novelized history and his clever Jewish tricks both against Goyim and his own people that I simply had to find more historic Golden Keks like this one.

always wanted to read that, seems like a super interesting dude

If I could make a living out of history I'd drop my MechE degree and go study history.

Horrible histories. I was 7 when i found them. Lefy a deep impression on me

Memes.

I was always interested in things as a child. My parents read to me a lot, and not just Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, but educational books on the galaxy and the universe as well. I guess that's what got me started, really. I love a good story. I was big into general science and understanding as well, but as I moved into middle school (one day I was running after an rc car in elementary school and ran full-speed into a metal post with my head, I swear it made me [more] retarded) and math and science turned from long devision and gravity into things like algebra and surface area (I remember I was out of the loop for ages when the teacher talked about how breaking a large object into several smaller ones created more surface area. Maybe it was just her communication, but I always thought of it as the area of the whole vs the area of ONE of the pieces untill she basically grilled me in front of the whole class, and then it clicked.) I sort of lost interest as it left me behind. I cought on to science enough to get me through chemestry, and I don't think I'm lacking in that field for lack of understanding, but I did struggle with college trig (and spelling. I'm a decent speaker, but God do I suck at spelling. My grdmmer is all over the place too).

History has always been interesting. It is always relevent too. The humanities are something I can grasp easily. I love it. Too drunk to go on, get fucked.

>yfw people like me are teaching your kids

I'm just visiting from /g/. Hello everybody! Don't forget to install Gentoo!

Geography. I used to be fascinated with maps and countries when I was a kid. Like I used to draw pretty precise replicas of world maps for some reason.

The level of cringe

Video Games

This, Time Squad, and the ancient civilization chapters in my middleschool textbooks. Although I do admit to being very fond of the history regarding the American Revolution starting in the fifth grade. History has always been interesting desu.

While I'm sure there were a bunch of different little things that were brewing underneath the surface that would have eventually led me to my love of history. The one moment that I've always pointed to was when I found my older brother's Axis and Allies board game in 5th grade:

>Bored one day on Christmas break
>Go downstairs and see my brother left some unopened WW2 board game he got as a gift on the kitchen counter
>Open up out of curiosity
>Filled with all kinds of tiny little army pieces that nerdy little 11yr old me would love playing with
>Game comes with giant rule book filled with all kinds of extra information on WW2, what the pieces were supposed to be for each country, along with things like special optional rules in the back of the book to mix the game up that all had real historical explanations for what they were (e.g. German fighter planes could move an extra territory because jet engines or something.)
>End up devouring almost every single book on WW2 I could get my hands on over the next few years
>Fall in love with learning history in general at that point
>Decided right around then that I'd really like to teach history some day

Just finished up my first year teaching incidentally, feels pretty good.

Reading Horrible Histories

the moment i got a 10/10 in 4th grade for history.

My nigga. I'm not really sure what got me into my favourite subject - ancient history. I know that going into a classical civilisation class in high school really got me indulging myself in it but I'm not entirely sure what convinced me to do it

care to share some examples for keks ?

Library books.

That's because it's not YOUR history. You can learn about Islam and contemporary Egyptian history, but don't take any pride when reading up on Kemet. Imagine if I started reading up on the rich history of Native Americans and took pride because my ancestors came here as slaves. Show some respect.

Google Earth

Some of the things I remember are a bit cloudy because I read it a few years back, but the general premise is the same.

>Josephus and his band of warriors are trapped in a cave with a Roman legion outside
>"We can't fall captives to the Romans, we have to commit group suicide! Let's draw straws, one who gets the shortest has to stay last! Let me prepare it."
>"Oh wow I'm the one who got to live, must be divine intervention! :^)"

>Some Greek dude comes to Herod's court
>tricks the king and escapes back to Hellas with a shitload of jewgold

>Josephus has to retake some coastal city on the sea of Galilee from Jewish rebels for the Romans
>literally just him and maybe a few other useless fucks
>sends out lots of empty boats into the sea, coming close only with his boat within sight range
>their optics are shit
>they think it's a whole fleet ready for land invasion
>surrender without a fight

>some Greek slave who's a lookalike to a Judean prince tries to con the Emperor
>comes to Rome
>Augustus keks and tell his guards to beat him up

>Roman guard at the Grand Temple stands on a balcony, turns around, lifts his dress and farts at the Temple attendees
>Jews chimp out

The book, The Jewish Wars, is divided into two parts: before the revolt which tells how Herod came to power and about his reign, it's written really well, it reads like a novel, with all sorts of conspiracies, military campaigns, betrayal, deceit etc; the second half is the events leading up to the revolt, the war, and the epilogue.

Dissatisfaction with the cyclical preoccupations of literary criticism, and an interest in the "history" thereof.

Faggot.

jesus i now have to read it
thank you based aon

united states canada mexico panama haiti jamaica peru

republic dominican cuba caribbean greenland el salvador too

puerto rico colombia venezuela honduras guyana and still

guatemala bolivia then argentina and ecuador chile brazil

I read this in early high school honestly I too really got into history due to Josephus narrative style of history.

Look up Project Guttenberg. They have Josephus books to download for free.