Thoughts on Meyers Briggs?

Thoughts on Meyers Briggs?

Accurate representation of people, flawed but interesting theory, or bullshit horoscopes for cynics?

Other urls found in this thread:

psychologytoday.com/blog/give-and-take/201309/goodbye-mbti-the-fad-won-t-die
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/2709300/
indiana.edu/~jobtalk/HRMWebsite/hrm/articles/develop/mbti.pdf
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/11936208/
smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/the-myers-briggs-personality-test-is-pretty-much-meaningless-9359770/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>flawed but interesting theory,

This one.

Everyone on Veeky Forums is an INTJ, prove me wrong

People simply need to understand that Jung created them as ideal types, not to categorize people into stereotypes. The spectrum between I and E is huge. If you you score 55% on I it doesn't mean that you're introverted, because you're still 45% extroverted. And so on. The way Meyers-Briggs used it was to cater to everyone's narcissism. Every trait is positive and hence everyone is an architect, or a diplomat, etc. Yet how many people do you actually know how fit that description? The tests are completely unable to predict individual behavior or personality, hence they're not being used ever in professional settings, for advertising and anywhere where it could actually be useful. So yeah, they are mostly horoscopes.

It's also arguably "best" to have 50% on everything and be balanced instead of fitting into any type.

Plus the tests are fundamentally flawed so their results are useless.

Does not pertain to History & Humanities

sage, reported

Im ENTP tho

INTP here.

Do you know what humanities are?

>So yeah, they are mostly horoscopes.
My bad, wanted to say they're nothing but.

Someone who scores 51% on everything is literally the same type who scores 100% on everything. It's incredibly stupid to pretend they're the same.

Psychology is generally considered part of the humanities and parts of the cognitive sciences as well.

INFJ, you were close tho

Supposing instead of back patting they openly said "often unreliable and hysterical", or "frequently lazy and feckless", would that give it more legitimacy?

INFP/INTP here.

Creationism tier

Flat earth tier

Black egypt tier

No matter how much overwhelming evidence there is that it's bullshit, retards will cling to it

im INFP

Theoretically yes. Someone who is more on the I side is more likely to keep to himself than someone on the E side, ... etc.
Practically no because the tests are shit.

I didn't extensively study the background of it and the people who created it, but I seriously doubt it's any use to reliably determine someone's cognitive functions within a 15 minutes online test.

*tips*

>overwhelming evidence

Such as?

psychology is a science, albeit without any rigor

Still a science.

I think the ideas of the different functions people use are interesting. I doubt it's ultimately going to prove to be the whole truth, but it is useful in understanding yourself and others. People do seem to think that you can just slit between letters though, and I think that is missing the point if the system

ENFP desu senpai

I think it has some basis in reality but it's not accurate enough, for obvious reasons.

I'm apparently INTP, and I do fit the bill for the most part, but then it talks about dedication and competence and working toward goals, which I barely do at all as I'm a lazy cunt.

It's interesting though.

I'm not an atheist, nigger
psychologytoday.com/blog/give-and-take/201309/goodbye-mbti-the-fad-won-t-die
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/2709300/
indiana.edu/~jobtalk/HRMWebsite/hrm/articles/develop/mbti.pdf
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/11936208/
smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/the-myers-briggs-personality-test-is-pretty-much-meaningless-9359770/

Horoscopes belong on /X/

The tip meme is so inflated it can be used for simply strongly dissagreeing on something.

>not an Atheist
And that's why you still believe Meyer Briggs has something to offer.

You know that INTPs are stereotyped as being lazy, right?

I just said MBTI is bullshit, you illiterate faggot cuck

People who take it as 100% gospel truth and deterministic are retarded

likewise, people who call it all wholesale bunk and anti-scientific are similarly retarded

if you take a comprehensive enough test and supply fully honest answers, your "type" is probably at least a general category for how you are, with obvious blurred lines in some respects, and not necessarily how you'll always be

>flawed but interesting theory
I vote for this. I class as INTJ everytime I take the test, but the type description is literally half totally accurate and half the exact opposite.
I think the part about classifying cognitive processes is interesting and worth further analysis, but the personality groups are pretty much bullshit.

>I seriously doubt it's any use to reliably determine someone's cognitive functions within a 15 minutes online test.
Just FYI, the actual test takes hours to complete and must be administered and reviewed by a psychologist.
I do agree that MBTI has very low predictive value, but please do not think the internet versions (which are basically just teasers) are all there is to it.

See

What does it mean when you don't have a type?

In short, it means you're mature and you've developed your lower functions on the level of your higher ones.

INTP here. Sometimes get ENTP.
Though the only other user I know IRL who did MBTI is an INTJ.
It’s statistically probably pretty prevalent here.

Jung didn't create those types though, although MBTI is somewhat based on his ideas. Other than that, I agree with what you said, though I think that it does provide a nice framework to create or discuss fictional characters in, as those are more commonly firmly in one category instead of being near 50% like most people are