Whats the diffence between sunni and shia?

Whats the diffence between sunni and shia?

Sunni = Muh Abu Bakr mufucka
Shia = Muh Ali nigga

just slightly different death tolls

Kek, but seriously whats the dif

Is like the Catho vs Ortho, who get to have the big hat/scarf.

Satan and Lucifer

The schism started with who would "head" Islam after Mohammad died.

Most (Sunni) thought just let the communit decide. A smaller group (Shia) thought it should be someone related to him.

This fucking board

Is there any actual theological differnces or different rituals etc

the shias have this cringe ritual called ashura

In Sunni Islam the words for progress and heresy are the same. Shia Islam lacks this

Shia's are a group of people who believed Muhammad's son-in-law Ali should've been the next caliph, Sunni's or more specifically the Quraysh tribe what Muhammad was apart of elected Abu Bakr, his uncle instead and believe this was right. Shia's also believe they have a guilt comparable to the original sin what christianity has. They believe they failed to save Ali when he was killed by Sunnis. Sunni's see Shi'ites as heretics since they worship Ali when Islam is supposed to be about only worshipping God and no humans. Shia's view Sunni's as betraying Muhammad and his family's birthright to rule as caliphs. You can view the Shia-Sunni schism as reverse Catholic-Orthodox schism. Where Sunni's continue to worship no man or idol but God compared to Shi'ites who have their own set of caliphs including Ali who they worship. I'm generalizing Shia right now since within it lie numerous sects, some of which are entirely different faiths based on Islam.

One will kill you for not being a muslim, and the other will kill you for not being a muslim. Then the one will kill the other one for not being the right kind of muslim.

What are some major sects?

This.

Sunni isn't a language

The largest sect is Twelver Shia IIRC. There are different sects which have names like Sevener or Fiver which means the number of Imams they worship after Ali when they split of from the main branch. This happened back when Shi'ites were still disorganized so each religious leader styled themself as a rightly guided Imam by Muhammad. Eventually there were 12 which most of them worship now. An example of a sect which may as well have nothing to do with Islam are the Druzes. I read that Druze takes some of Greek philosophy into their worship and like Zoroastrianism doesn't allow conversion to their faith. That's probably why there's a lot of inbreeding. A more rational reason of why they don't take people in to their faith is because they could easily be ratted out by a spy to alert sunni's to kill them, since they historically live in their domains. To conceal their faith, they pretend to be Sunni and it's very hard to distinguish them.

Thanks bro

Last question, what are the major sunni sects?

Eternal Party of Ali strikes again

dis

The side they strap the bomb.

I don't know if you could call the different schools within Sunni sects since they all follow the quran and hadiths primarily, though there are deviations. All the differences are more based on culture. For example in the area in Somalia and Ethiopia, the Shafi'i women pray with socks and adherents of said school can eat all shellfish while the Hanafi's do not. There are a lot more subtle differences like how shafi'i women praying posture is the same as the men of the hanbali or hanafi school. Too many differences to describe but you get the gist, while culturally different, they all believe the same doctrine.

Can't believe it took this many posts to get here.

Sunni Islam isnt really divided into sects, because of its strict conservative theology and doctrine, and because bid'ah (innovation) is very looked down upon in Sunni Islam. There are however divisions within its schools of law- namely the largest schools are Hanafi, representing reason, Zahirite representing tradition, and the three middle schools, the Maliki, Shafi'i, and Hanbali. If youre interested look into the Mu'tazilite movement which was popular in the Middle Ages, but was largely countered by the Ash'ari movement.

Beelzebub vs Moloch?

If I may make a little correction - it was not the Sunnis that directly killed 'Ali (especially since he was the current Caliph at the time of his death), but Kharijites.
That user is correct, but let me elaborate a little bit more on the differences between Shi'a sects since they are actually pretty big - you've got the Twelvers which are the most "vanilla" form of Shi'ism and is the most popular sect (about 90% IIRC), you have Fivers (Zaidis), which are pretty close to Sunnis in terms of theology, since while they think that 'Ali should have been elected caliph, they do not accept the hadith stating that Mohammad himself chose him for that - so in their eyes Abu Bakr & co. are not apostates and were well within their rights to challenge 'Ali's authority. Also, they do not believe in infallibility of imams. Then you have Seveners (Isma'ilis), the largest sub-sect of which - Nizari - is interesting in the fact that their line of imams never ended (in most Shi'a sects the last imam is called "Mahdi" and is considered to be hiding for the world and will come again at the end of times) and instead carries on to this day. Their current imam is Aga Khan IV, and is probably the only non-cult religious head with authority comparative to the catholic Pope.

If anybody has more questions, I'll gladly answer them as well as I can

Who are the ibadi?

>Beelzebub
I think you mean Ba'al Zebub

Oooh, that one's tough. The truth is - nobody really knows (historically, at least). They are usually considered to be descended from Kharijites (musilms who originally sided with 'Ali but betrayed him later, ultra-fundamentalist), but Ibadis themselves deny this and don't consider themselves linked to them in any way. They do not think that it is necesary for the muslim community to have one ruler, which is the main point of difference between them and Sunnis or Shi'a. Otherwise, their theology is somewhat close to Mu'tazilites, but with empahsis on strict adherence to sharia and isolation from non-muslims, although done in a peaceful manner.

And the sufis?

The Sufis are more of a movement within the world of Islam then they are an actual "sect", especially since the word refers to several orders - there are Sunni orders and there are Shi'a orders (also - it's not uncommon for someone to be a member of more than one of them). What they have in common is emphasis on personal interactions with God and getting to know him via spiritual enlightenment. Also, for most of Sufi teachers the line of tutelage is rather important (I was taught by so-and-so, who was taught by... and it goes preferably all the way to some companion of Mohammad or even him). They also commonly do have something compared to saint worship, although calling it that is rather misleading, a better comparison would be with greek hero worship.

So they are like orders of monks?

Btw thanks for not memeing like most of anons in this thread

No, monasticism is not a thing in Islam, and marriage is generally considered something very desirable - if I had to compare those orders to something from the western world, I'd choose masonic lodges - organisation where people meet together from time to time, although that is a really shaky metaphor (especially since Sufi orders are not secret societies)

Sunni are arabic and shia are persian

And you are american, right?

What about the druze and other shia sects that became indpedent religions?

Sorry to disappoint here, but unfortunately I know little to nothing about them and I'd prefer not to copypaste wikipedia articles at you or spread misinformation, so you'll have to look for that info on your own. And if you do find a good source, send it my way, I've been meaning to learn more about this but haven't had the chance yet

Shia are the ones that rape goats and little girls while Sunni are those that rape goats and little girls and also do terrorist attacks.

shia are better terror
hezbollah > isis

Dont be sorry, youve been very informative

Shias tend to treat non-muslims somewhat decently, though.