Looking to learn more about Chinese history, language, and culture...

Looking to learn more about Chinese history, language, and culture. I'm particularly interested in the time during the Qing dynasty - what lead to it, shit that happened, etc. Any good sources?
>inb4 Sinoboo

Other urls found in this thread:

thegreatcourses.com/courses/from-yao-to-mao-5000-years-of-chinese-history.html
princeton.edu/chinese-historiography/sinological-content/chronological-by-dynasty/qing-dynasty-(1644-1911-c/
hup.harvard.edu/collection.php?cpk=1338
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_mathematics
pastebin.com/sQXG4afZ
pastebin.com/YKBN4z4K
pastebin.com/qfJ5tHvw
pastebin.com/NbSucv1r
pastebin.com/y76L34aq
pastebin.com/acYNtuMR
pastebin.com/MgFVxiX4
pastebin.com/QnHDUF1M
pastebin.com/TahG61rv
pastebin.com/BCutpP9b
pastebin.com/MArkYzLz
pastebin.com/5UHaP8Mz
pastebin.com/tuP2w3DA
youtube.com/watch?v=0PpvxMoMeTQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Also interested in Chinese history but don't know where to start. How did you choose the Qing dynasty?

Got 17 hours?

thegreatcourses.com/courses/from-yao-to-mao-5000-years-of-chinese-history.html

can be pirated.

I was playing some EU4 and got curious about the Qing during a game. Did a little research, wanted to learn some more.
I'll check that out, thanks!

Wish I had found this at the beginning of the summer

What about the Qing intrigues you? Stories or just general historical facts?

The First Sino-Russian War (1690-1693), known popularly as the Teacup War was fought between Russia and the Qing Dynasty

Chinese officials wished to stop what was perceived as an outflow of silver and to control the spread of opium, and confiscated supplies of opium from Russian traders. The Russian government, although not officially denying China's right to control imports, objected to this seizure and used its newly developed military power to enforce violent redress.

The ease with which the Russian forces had defeated the numerically superior Chinese armies seriously affected the Qing Dynasty's prestige

The Teacup War was the beginning of a long period of weakening of the state and civil revolt in China, and long-term depopulation. In 1692, China's population was over 100 million, of whom at least 1 million were opium users. By 1701 the country's population was less than 90 million, of which as many as a third made regular use of opium.

Both, with a larger focus on historical facts. I'm also interested, the Qing aside, in a history of scientific progress and mathematics in China. I don't think I've heard very much regarding either fields when hearing about Chinese technologies and innovations besides gunpowder, printing press, and the compass. You would think it would be fairly easy for an advanced civilization to come up with some algebra and geometry.

That sounds like some Nationalistic Vatnik Butthurt.
For starters the Chinese won the Sino-Russo Border Conflicts, ending with the Treaty of Nerchinsk.
Second,
>"The Teacup War was the beginning of a long period of weakening of the state and civil revolt in China"
The hell is this? The 1700s was the Qing Golden Age.

Why does Chinese history (modern one) totally ignore the ROC?

Im not talking about Mainland Sources (obviously) but in almost every text on world history, modern Chinese history is pretty much "lol Mao"

I think both the Early PRC and Early ROC ought to be studied concurrently and side by side.

(OP)
Han, Tang, Song and perhaps Ming are better if you want to know more about Chinese Hist.

See:
princeton.edu/chinese-historiography/sinological-content/chronological-by-dynasty/qing-dynasty-(1644-1911-c/
hup.harvard.edu/collection.php?cpk=1338

Because it didn't matter.
The Time of the early ROC is one of Failed
Industrialisation/modernisation, endless
war/strife (Both Internal and External),
ridiculous amts. of corruption/inefficiency,
Failed leadership and mass atrocities.

The ROC can be argued to be a failed state,
given its short life span (1912-to-1949),
I am not surprised that there is not much written about that. It's not relevant/interesting/glorious enough to warrant a full study.

There are alot of overlooked period in chinese history even in the china's school syllables.
Syllables are basically government sanctioned stereotypes like "muh first farmer revolt ChenSheng WuGuang" , "curse the HANJIAN wang jingwei" etc

>End of Yuan and beginning of Ming
Yuan's reign tuned up china's volatility greatly. The interregnum comes and left fast. How can one not intrigued by how Zhu Yuan Zhang worked up the rank from a fucking farmer background, endure the imperial reactionary forces, secure dominance among rebellion factions sprung up everywhere, and laying down foundation for Muh Ming.

>Liao Jin Xia
We often looked into that particular era through Song's lens. However we can not ignore the fact that Song holds only corner of the land. These "barbaric" dynasties hold the long time Han's land and adopted Chinese custom for much. What internal conflicts do they face, and what are the personal stories of all these emperors?

>Jin 晉
They are often flaunted as the decadent and degeneracy. They are the omega of han ethnic dynasty, but they still held up one and a half century. Their era further formalize and consolidates the chink culture. What are the general developement of this dynasty?

wrong reply, i was trying to continues...

Speaking of ROC. The whole era "Late Qing to new republic" should be viewed together.

Contact to the west starts from mid Ming (ChongZhen the last Ming emperor employs jesuit, the Geometry of Euclid was translated this era). Yet from the early Qing until Qian Long, they yet to face the West's dominance.
The Ten Great Campaign of Qian Long includes expeditionary warfare in viet burma and taiwan, but they still mostly unaffected by western power.

So when the western came knocking the castle, they've already knew the west for centuries.
Different factions sprung up with respective views on saving the country. There are Constitution faction in the court who sought for a constitutional monarchy. With regard to contemporary trend, the loyalist were held in high regard. The revolutionaries outside of the court also comes from wildly different backgrounds. There are merchanto-literary elites around Yangtze, there are the ShangHai's organized criminal with link to KMT, also the Japan exchange students. Last but not least, the GuangDong which heads the tradition of the revolutionary.

continues,
If you knew chinese, there are many interest sites i can provides.

If you can't into chinese, you can hardly even remembers names of VIP. Especially names of events which are usually coined in the semantic dense Classical Chinese. It's like inability to differentiate asshole and pussy during intercourse

It is a clusterfuck.
I kinda wished they actually reinstituted the
hanfu as the Traditional Chinese Dress and
focus on making a Workable Chinese system of
governance but History wouldn't allow it.

Actually some Chinese historians see the Three Kingdoms, the short lived Jin, and the Nanbeichao Period under the name "Era of Fragmentation."

If there is an inconvenience from being around too long, it will be that they'll never have a ultimate cultural symbol.

Dressings and costumes are held in high regard as important etiquette. Yet there's no one unifying set of wearings. They evolved along the ages. If you're particularly perceptive in chinese costume you'll recognize Ming, Song, Qing, Han elements from Viet Jap Kor. HanFu is merely one facet of the long spectrum.
If they want to reinstate the lost material culture, it won't necessarily be HanFu, and HanFu itself is insufficient.

So HanFu itself will only stays a hobby, along with costumes from the other eras

See:They have the dragon, incense sticks, Daoism, a shitton of philosophers, Tajitu, signature food and Traditional medicine though, if you are referring to 'ultimate cultural symbols'.

But yeah, Fashion change thoroughout the ages. Chinese 'ethnic dress' is no different.
Just wished they kept the aesthetics though.

He's literally copy-pasting out of the althistory wiki.

Good god I hope he's just shitposting and didn't actually think that was real.

Just a short search away:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_mathematics

Hanfu of later dynasties would be considered barbaric to their ancestors i.e. Tang Pao,Ming Yesa etc.

The Yesa was inspired by Yuan Mongol Fashion.

They even had that pointy hat at one point. Here's the Xuande Emperor wearing it.

Yea,that's my point.

Modern day views of Hanfu is highly anachronistic and lumps all foreign influenced garbs with native clothing.

This is no different than Hanbok or Kimono.

And yet people accept those two the way they are.

My point is where do you draw the line between foreign and native forms.

Chances are if the Qing collapsed earlier the Magua would become a subset of Hanfu.

Traditional Chinese civilization is dead,reviving ethnic dress won't change society.

i agree with this more because even if the dyanasties change, the country is mainly ruled by one country however for a relativly short period of time it was fragmented.

The Qing Dynasty is interesting because it is, yet again, another foreign group that entered China and dominated the local population for centuries.

The Jurchen tribes entered China after the Han Chinese dynasty weakened. The borders grew dark as less and less border forts were kept up with funds and men.

They rode into China and fought many battles. Oddly enough, they still needed help from local Chinese traitors to obtain victory. Once in charge of the largest cities, the Jurchen Chief crowned himself Emperor of China.

It did not take long for the millions of Han they controlled to start pushing back. In order to better control them, many policies were put in place to indoctrinate them socially into a sense of "obey and listen".

That long, pony tail you see on EVERY Qing dynasty person is something the Jurchen set up within China as a way to control the population. You didn't have a ponytail? If you were not executed on the spot, you were put on "trial" in order for everyone to see you tortured.

The hair became "normal" to them but it was an ever present sign that they, the Han, belong to them, the Jurchen.

The Qing quickly got influenced by the Han Chinese though. They created a huge bureaucracy just like every damn Chinese dynasty that there ever was. They took on many Han wives, so their children quickly looked like the native Han if the Jurchen men did not already.

They also quickly adopted the script and wordage of Han Chinese over their native Jurchen. It is very much like what the Franks & Lombards did when they conquered Roman areas.

The Qing started out really strong actually. They revitalized a nation in desperate need of it. Europe was rising rapidly and their colonies stretched from Europe all the way to the Americas.

Despite that strong reformation at the start, the Qing swiftly ended up like the Ming dynasty that they vanquished before: content. China was THE SHIT. The Ming did not believe this... they knew it. This doomed them.

far left is fucking god tier

Looks as comfy as it does defensive

They gave their horses the same treatment too,

wut? China won the border skirmishes against Russia in the 1600s

pastebin.com/sQXG4afZ
pastebin.com/YKBN4z4K
pastebin.com/qfJ5tHvw
pastebin.com/NbSucv1r
pastebin.com/y76L34aq
pastebin.com/acYNtuMR
pastebin.com/MgFVxiX4
pastebin.com/QnHDUF1M
pastebin.com/TahG61rv
pastebin.com/BCutpP9b
pastebin.com/MArkYzLz
pastebin.com/5UHaP8Mz
pastebin.com/tuP2w3DA

>The Qing Dynasty is interesting because it is, yet again, another foreign group that entered China and dominated the local population for centuries.
More like the Manchu were a minority in their own banner institution that primarily relied on Han military men.

>The majority of the Eight Banners actually consisted of Chinese and Mongols who had joined the Manchus before 1644. A secret report by Prince Yi, brother of the Yongzheng emperor, noted that in 1648 Manchus made up only 16 percent of the banner forces; 75 percent were Han Chinese, and 8.3 percent were Mongols. By 1723 the percentage of Mongols remained the same, Han Chinese declined somewhat to 68 percent, and Manchus increased to 23 percent. -Chinese Society in the Eighteenth Century, pg 141

Manchu is a made up ethnicity that included assimilated Mongols,Han and Koreans as well as Jurchens.

Jurchen and Manchu armor are both derivative of Chinese armaments.

youtube.com/watch?v=0PpvxMoMeTQ

Make the Great Qing great again
Xuantong Emperor 2016
reformists get fucked, solidify my golden empire

third, no, fourth times the charm.

What if I told you that the ghost of Koxinga is going to invade China with his army of undead pirates and reestablish the Ming?

KMT china was a fucking emotional rollercoaster

Why? The Ming were ran by the Han Chinese, as are the current Chinese Communist Party.

do you have more from those articles?

>They took on many Han wives, so their children quickly looked like the native Han if the Jurchen men did not already.

Not true.

It was illegal for Jurchen men or women to marry Han Chinese in the Qing dynasty.

>It was illegal for Jurchen men or women to marry Han Chinese in the Qing dynasty.
Not if the Han were enrolled in eight banners.

Kangxi,Qianlong and Jiaqing Emperors all had Han mothers.

The majority of the eight banners were Han Chinese anyways.

rate my OC pham

The New Culture Movement alone would make this period worth studying. The way the Chinese language is written became completely different because of it.

it lasted twice as long as the Qin dynasty, so thats something

You do know that is from an alternative history site do you?

Wuddyou mean?