Veeky Forums vidya

Of course there's Civ VI coming out, but what are some other history related video games recently released or coming out shortly?

Other urls found in this thread:

ageofempires.wikia.com/wiki/Byzantines
m.youtube.com/watch?v=uj3-VkbRSKQ
rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/17/the-flare-path-rule-the-waves/#more-302131
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

play chess and look at it as a turn based strategy game, in 3d!

play Eu4 and forget Civ it's a pleb game

Eh, eu4 is difficult only while you're learning the mechanics, once you learn how things work the game gets way too easy

Obligatory
>Crusader Kings II
>Rome TW
>Atilla TW
>TW Shogunate

>Civilization
>Oh gee look Gandhi just launched a nuke on the Montezuma and the Aztec empire and they retaliated by sending warships and calling their allies the Brits who still live in the stone age
>this this is historical in any way

I will honestly never understand why Civ gets even mentioned on this board.

Because it's Super Smash Bros: Veeky Forums.

Britons suck

their light cavalry should cost 3 f less

What is the best civilization in AoE2?

As someone who's played from the start, the game has developed from a generic map painter to a good challenge. And I'm familiar with the ins and outs of the game + willing to abuse every cheesy strat I've figured out over my 1k hours of play.
A new player just now getting it vs. a new player getting it at release are going to have different experiences.

Launch EU4 was literally as crap as launch HOI4 is, though.

Mount and Blade: Warband
Rise of Nations

>Launch EU4 was literally as crap as launch HOI4 is

No it was much worse.

The best historical games I played were Vietcong and LA Noire. In LA Noire in particular the inaccuracies are so minor they're not even worth mentioning.

Arabia//rush// - Huns
Black Forest//turtle - Britons
I am a huge fucking faggot and take an active part in the disintegration of the game's multiplayer community - Celts
Turtling in general - Byzantines
Opponent is a know archer chucklefuck - Rage Goths

>HOI4 apologist

HoI4 is shit. I'm just saying EU4 was even shittier.

Byzantines
flush op
knight xbow op
anti knight op
buildings op
tech (strat) op
their eco is weak though so play in 4s
4v4 was how the series was made to be played anyway
ageofempires.wikia.com/wiki/Byzantines

I am a huge fucking faggot and take an active part in the disintegration of the game's multiplayer community - Celts
yeah but you dont know why you think its the wood bonus but thats only because the only active part of the community right now has completely forgot how to do a 20 minute imperial

and he said aok not aoc

you want a 1-3 mix of your camels in your knights. 16:44 latest age 3 with 3+stables, cart asap (because greater marginal return ie an all in tech adv especially with the age 2 lumbar, mining, farm techs researched because they have no natural economic advantage thus greater return relativistically to other options Pmeans more)

Civ's mechanics are, broadly speaking, a reflection of history theory.

Is this poster being ironically or unironically autistic?

his games that I don't need to buy? I'm poor

greater utility, greater value

just quietly byzantines are greek and greeks are op in all aoe

aoe 1 greek hoplites are the strongest tier break unit in the game, they are cavalry, but infantry classification - no weakness
likewise aoe 2 orientation of play, at the least, and 14 minute longsword rushes, or drush into 16-7min longswords is something comp play has never done, but it can be, and its op as fuck because the drush fucks you off gold then you got m@a in teamgames if you want to or onto age 3 with rams, priests, and massed infa with aforementioned tech boom out of your turtle (That you werent even trying to do).

aoe 3 i got nothing

aoeo greek hoplites greatest unit in game again

aom greek hoplites again

im a Grandmaster at aoc with a 155kg max deadlift, i could crush you like a grape here, under ur fedora, with my katana, anywhere.

you can do it wish spanish too with a smith rax stable up but with spanish u research melee atk first from smith for knights and byzantines you upgrade infantry line armor and can all in shovey a bit more, then go to cav tech once you need camels, keep all units alive, and build a monastery before third tc (spanish if its aoc..)

like a reaper double tech rush in sc2 but with drush (if u even need to) into an infantry ball.

if they wall ull be in trouble but team 4s can scout-bully, tower, flush, drush, and still do sub 17 stacked inf

their cost @ 60f 20g is basically a villager, so mix it in and get fleshy with forward flushy tower @ raxs. early boars & deer are the only way, 1 lumbercamp, this is new meta.. its much more streamline

else just go 14min cav arch and build a mangudai for tc

mangonel even

just pirate them all

let's be honest there's no better strategy in multiplayer than rushing your opponent with a fuck huge army of cheap as fuck pikemen backed with longswords and skirmishers

In the last 10 years I bought maybe 2% of games I actually played.

true asf. wood to seige & rax to longarms after successful flushes to close out games.

getting that one map in heroes of might and magic 2 or 3 where you have lumber, stone, and your civs specialty requirement within 1 screen of ur starting base

>t. been rolling for 3 years for a chance to do an all in sulphur dragon rush with dungeon

pretty sure goat stimulators on sale in steam right now

This

>over my 1k hours of play.
>thinking this is a lot

I like to play as the Saracens and rek the Byzantines and convert everything to Islam.

I'm old, don't know the ins and outs of pirating. Wish I did

>t. proto islam

I've wanted to get eu4 but it looks too intimidating it terms of ui etc

It's like most of these games, the more time you put into it the more you realise how limited it is. I'd imagine they'd be a lot better in multiplayer (tfw no 4k strategy mates)

>I am a huge fucking faggot and take an active part in the disintegration of the game's multiplayer community - Celts
I don't get it.

But then, I don't think I've played against the Celts, yet, in my 20 something games online.

desu, i'd love a /k/ style game where it was a massively multiplayer online open world with players maintaining military bases, having real life historical and present day guns, modification, sandbox-esque gameplay, and, best of all, of course, fighting

Verdun is great btw

>ctrl f
>no Europa Barbarorum II

do you plebs even imperium?

I loved Attila Total War. The release was a lot more stable than Empire, Napoleon, and Rome II Total War. The Nomads were the only broken part of the game. Creative Assembly nerfed them somewhat, but wanted to preserve their historical OPness (if such a word exists).

There are God-tier mods for the game both on ModDB.com and the Steam Workshop. I definitely recommend it for any history nerd. It is a lot of fun and gives you the basics of history.

Of course there are many inaccuracies... but it's a vidya game called "Total War". It delivers just that.

all it involves is downloading a client (go for something like Deluge) and clicking on magnet links

it ain't hard senpai

Verdun is great, I agree

That being said... Rome II holds a soft spot because the first Rome Total War was my first in the series. It was very nostalgic seeing so much brought back from the first game.

Except the agents. Fuck that poisoning the spies could do. 25% of my army dead and I can't move.... too broken

Oriental Empires

Im just waiting for it to finish really, I couldnt stand uncompleted work in mods.

>implying your average brit player cares about cavalry

that would be nice if drushes weren't instantly countered by walls and longswords get raped by archers

this board needs more aoe discussion

When was the last time you played it?

Last year, dled the latest patch n shiet.

Look here faggot

EB2 has bad combat because the medieval 2 engine is garbage, EB1 is the better game

The only thing EB2 has in favor of it is graphics
Fight me

War of rights, you should check it out

>Casual Babby: The Post

my nigga

CK2 is the only paradox game that isnt a spreadsheet simulator. also, the Total War games aren't even that casual

i play Dwarf Fortress and Rimworld on the reg, but theyre not Veeky Forums, so

2.2b has just come out, defo quite a bit of improvements.

I understand wanting to wait until it's complete though.

Med 2 is the same engine as Rome 1 with slight refinements.

>better pathfinding
>no sanic gottagofast agile cavalry that can right angle turn while maintaining perfect unit cohesion
>better unit mass
>better pacing, less frequency of easy mass routs

Literally a non-complaint. EB2 is far more stable than EB1 final release, and uses the expanded Med 2 campaign mechanics alongside more factions. A no-brainer.

fight me

>tfw American

m.youtube.com/watch?v=uj3-VkbRSKQ

don't i need some kind of VPN ?

Are you the creator/part of the team? I can understand you are trying to defend your work but lets be honest here:

The medieval 2 engine is a dumbed down version of the one RTW had. Units are missing a lot of stats that were helpful in their balancing, such as unit lethality to help rhompaiophoroi and other units that were meant to take out heavily armored units. In EB2 right now because of this units take fucking forever to die, very boring.
Then there is the issue of units with projectiles being unable to charge on command, they have to throw their projectiles first so if you are also getting charged those units are defenseless.

Other than that, I admire that EB2 has removed a lot of the fantasy units EB1 had, of course they are still missing a lot of the historical units EB1 had. The mod also is smoother simply because of the newer engine, although it is inferior to RTW's.

>better pathfiding
Literally what, I haven't noticed any different in the two
All your other arguments fall on a per stat basis depending on the stats they choose for each unit, mass and such things are moddable, this is up to the creators, there is a big variation of such in the units
>better pacing, less frequency of easy mass routs
Bullshit, again depends on unit stats, and your general

I hope they fix the current problems that I mentioned to make the game as good as EB1, but I am skeptical since like I have stated, the MED2 engine is GARBAGE.

I recommend you stick to EB1 and leave superficial things such as graphics aside

forget civ 5 its my 6 years old sister tier. why not man up and play adults games like hearts of iron 4, crusader kings 2, stellaris, victoria 2. you might learn something if you aint a pleb for life like most people if not just die

t. paradox pro

What does Veeky Forums think of Company of Heroes?

excellent game for weekend warriors and historical virgins. that feel when you eat something that makes you incredibly fat and still feel hungry

I liked DoW so I was a bit disappoited when CoH became the sequel in terms of its mechanics, but really the unit mix and armour make for a far superior game, pretty good fun. Shame about all of the microtransactions in II though.

Holy fuck this
Paradox games are the DaS of Veeky Forums

Consider Victoria 2

>DaS
?

Dark souls
In that it is generally liked but people shit post about them

Rule the Waves

rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/17/the-flare-path-rule-the-waves/#more-302131

>EU4 is a spreadsheet simulator
Babby indeed.
If anything, EU is actually easier than CK2

>tfw there will never an AOE I HD remake
Why live?

Lol no. CK2 is the easiest of them all.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Bannerlord
[spoiler]inb4 >coming out shortly[/spoiler]

When's the release date for that? It just say Sep on Steam.

Has any additional information been released about it other than what's available on steam?

If you just want to paint the map then yes, CK2 is the easiest. The thing is CK2 is more of an RPG than a grand strategy, all the fun is in the dynastic shenanigans.

Meanwhile the gameplay of EU4 is just reduced to "declare war". Painting the map is literally the only thing you can do in EU4.

This.

>tfw I just want a game about the Bronze Age while everyone just creates shit about Rome, Middle Ages and WW2

aom & tt are in high definition on steam