Who was the most skilled swordsman of all time?

Who was the most skilled swordsman of all time?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentina_Vezzali
youtube.com/watch?v=4GoQlvc_H3s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

He just replied to your thread.

N-NANI?

Tch, he's fast

El Cid. He literally split moors in half with any of his two swords Tizona and Colada

The french tournament winning burgeroise before the battle of agrincourt

Quite possibly Valentina Vezzali

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentina_Vezzali

My dick.

Can you consider fencing (the competitive sport) swordsman ship in the traditional sense? Can fencing skulls translate well into an actual (by which i mean using real swords rather than fencing foils) sword duel?

Dassem

Of course it's not identical, but yes, the skills transfer. The age of dueling and the modern sport of fencing did overlap.

Either Anomander orThe Segulah First could take him on, maybe even Tehol

Pssh, nothing personnel.... Cid....

Kek I was disappointed he didn't kill many people

You gotta read ICEs books lad.

sure the training is transferable, but there is alot to unlearn to fight in the martial sense, she fences foil so alot more of her mind is dedicated to who has right of attack and less so whether or not she gets hit at all. An epeeist is probably better suited to adopting the martial art, as they don't have right of way rules.

How do they compare to Erickson's cause the last few from him on Malazan dragged on

Was Raiden an ubermensch?

Compared to Erikson he is rubbish.

His books are ok at best but for a Malazan nerd they contain a lot of information about the rest of the world, what people like Greymane, the Crimson Guard, Dassem etc. are up to, expand on the Jaghut and stuff like that.

He found his stride with Dancer's Lament which is a good book.

I barely know anything about fencing, but can't you also only hit very specific parts of the body? I'd imagine that this would be an incredible disadvantage for someone in an actual fight.

10/10

>teleports behind you

10/10 review

Foil: only hit torso
Sabre: hit above waist
Epee: hit anywhere

They are all based on training for different types of actual combat. (E.g guess what, the torso is where your vital organs are)

Story?

like the other user said, only epee targets the whole body and focuses more on not getting hit yourself.

from what I understand, alot of rapier/small-sword duelling involved draw cuts on the hand and wrists and glances against the legs and feet with shallow thrusts, as so to immobilise your opponent for a chance at a more reliable killing blow.

>not knowing who the best swordsman is
Plz educate yourself and bless up
>pic related

We all know it's Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning.

>ASOIAF
Kys

Johannes Liechtenauer

Some right wing nutjob in Sweden refuses to prep the bull and spergs out at his school, killing two.

Awesome!

Ancient Greek chitoniskos, but only for young boys.

I think that answer lacks diversity, please try again.

Kamiizumi Nobutsuna...

source please?

Is there a video for this?

/tv/ FUCK OFF!!!!!! FUCKING GET OUT!!!!

REEEEEEEEEEE

Who's generally considered to be the best Japanese swordsman? Was it Miyamoto Musashi, one of the yagyu, or someone else?

Depend on the era, Kamiizumi Nobutsuna is supposedly very high, and then his disciples, Hikita Bungoro and Yagyu Munetoshi (and his sons).
Musashi apparently stated that one of the Yagyu (Munenori maybe) was better than him, more rounded at least.

Then you have a lot of big names, Tsukahara Bokuden, Itto Ittosai, the founder of Kashima Shin-ryu.

Some members of the Shinsengumi (Hijikata Toshizo and Okita Soji) during the late edo era had a very good reputation as well.

Anyway, it would be very hard to tell because most of it is earsay. It's certain that Musashi is overly hyped though, the guy was good, certainly one of the best of his times, but he wasn't unconditionnally the best. Hell from his death to Yoshikawa's book, he was remembered for his calligraphy and his paintings just as well if not more so than for his swordsmanship legacy.

kek

Eat shit weeb.
The best Swordsman and Soldier of all time was William Marshal. He won nearly 300 tournament competitions and was also very succesful in not getting the sharp end in the 24/7 court intruiges.

Aleksandar Saicic. He fucked up a samurai in a duel.

A Japanese officer is not the same as a samurai

Also there is the problem of defining "the best". How do you do that ? By kill-count ? but those aren't really reliable, especially for the earlier period. If X beat Y in a duel or a "friendly duel", then you could say that "this day" he was better, but overall better...?
And this is even worse when you have a large time frame. How can you compare the valor of say Miyamoto Musashi and Hijikata Toshizo, since they lived more than a century apart ?

I'd say personally either Kamiizuni Nobutsuna or Tsukahara Bokuden. Both those guys trained in at least 2-3 styles and received the full teachings, then went on to create their own schools, had plenty of great disciples, especially Nobutsuna with the Yagyu family. They were both strong fighters and proeficient teachers and they are certainly highly revered in japanese swordsmanship history.

I thought nobody would go for it...

>Duby please

underrated post

HEMA guy here, sport fencers also tend to be the best HEMA fencers.

Sport fencing teaches you timing and distance. These are the two most important skills in HEMA fencing, and are a substitute for actual technique. Someone who studies their technique, but does the wrong thing at the wrong time, or performs a perfect move out of distance is not going to win. Sport fencers may have shoddy technique (or excellent technique, their footwork tends to be impeccable), but their training is what makes them formidable opponents.

t: a dude who gets his fucking ass beaten on a regular basis by sport fencers

The pictures that flash over the dudes are from Fiore de Liberi's Flower of Battle treatise, which is a 14th (15th? I forget which, might be confusing him with Meyer) century combat manual. This is specifically from the longsword section, and is really fun to practise! One of my favourite lines from the treatise is something like "and the wise swordsman shall kick his opponent in the groin, for this shall surely cause his guard to falter"

Fuck chivalry, kick a nigga in the nuts and stab his fucking face

Another HEMAist here.

Our group's top dog and perpetual tournament winner also started out as a sports fencer.

Shit, man. Nothing personal!

Is grabbing your opponent's sword really a viable technique?

Fuck yes. If his sword isn't moving, grabbing the blade is perfectly safe. I do it to newbies all the time, if they edge close without doing anything, waiting for me to do something. You grab the sword and they don't know what to do with themselves. Or, in the bind, you quickly close distance and grab the other dude's sword. Only thing for them to do in that situation is to grapple, start punching you in the face, or run away.

nah, he pissed on Armstrong, which is pissing on logic
Like christ, in the final boss fight, he beats the shit out of Raiden, explains how he wants to restore freedoms to the people in order to let the people pursue their own desires, and looks to Raiden as a son-like figure. Honestly don't know how he's the antagonist here

naruto

There was this arab swordsman that faced off like 4 byzantine warriors one on one and beat them all. There was a funny meme movie ive seen posted with it i just forget the dudes name name

Half-swording is a thing too, or mordhau, when you use the blade as the handle and the quillon or pommel as a bludgeon.

Note that grabbing a sharp sword that is moving, or grabbing it lightly enough for the opponent to move it, will kill your unprotected hand.

I'd be fairly confident with thick gloves, otherwise it can be quite risky.

That said, I do it all the time in sparring.

Here,
youtube.com/watch?v=4GoQlvc_H3s

Yep, but you'd need to block it or stop its movement somehow before attempting it, otherwise you'd lose some fingers (if you're lucky).

Then again, plenty of people injured their left hand in duel, grabbing the opponent's blade just to be able to deliver a killing strike. If the fight is tight, sacrificing a hand for the kill is much more sensible than it seems.

I love you.

I love you too.

It really depends though, if your in the middle of a melee you really cant afford a deep slash to your hand, as that would effectively take you out of the fight.

But having to retire from battle due to injury was usually better than dying

autistic shit desu

>William Marshall
>Not Guillaume le Maréchal

He was French.

>proceeds to watch gooks teleport behind each other and basically do sword magic while the Japanese accounts of Portuguese swordsmen (rapiers) shows superiority

which Japanese accounts are those?

>fights women

Lol, no

Yes if the skin on your hands is thick!