Civilization

Has Veeky Forums ever wondered why "civilization" AKA fort building, city making, river cultures seem to appear all around the exact same time 3100 - 2700 BCE? I understand that surplus food and increased organization made it all possible, what i wonder is why a sudden explosion in 3 or more different places at once.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicameralism_(psychology)
brahmanedu.org/english/materials/summary/79_2.html
brahmanedu.org/english/materials/summary/79_2_1.html
brahmanedu.org/english/materials/summary/79_2_2.html
brahmanedu.org/english/materials/summary/31_1.html
youtube.com/watch?v=-K7q20VzwVs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natufian_culture
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/States_and_Power_in_Africa:_Comparative_Lessons_in_Authority_and_Control
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I never really thought about why civilizations all came about at the same time. I just move my worker to an irrigable tile and click build on my settler.

Stable climate made it possible to not only appear, but stick around for long. Even then there were still gaps of thousands of years between the beginnings of different independent civilizations.

Well, at least you bumped my man.

>BCE

i didn't like my starting position so my civilization started a couple hundred years after the others.

Also in my first war it took 200 years to get reinforcements to the front lines.

Perhaps im looking for an answer that aint there, im just saying, Sumer, Pre-dynastic Egypt, and the Indus valley cultures all come out of nowhere within 400 years.

Well for those three in particular, that's hardly surprising. Egypt is literally right next to the Fertile Crescent, and nomadic peoples and traders would be spreading ideas and concepts between the Fertile Crescent and Indus valley all the time.

[spoiler]aliens[/spoiler]

The buildup to all of these was thousands of years in the making, and the chronology is extremely loose.

The first recorded use of agriculture was circa 9,000 BC, but the Younger Dryas period fucked the Natufians for a while.

Generally, the father back you go, the less reliable historiography is, which is why you get a bunch of "eh, probably around 3,000 BC."

Especially since the Indus Valley Script is still undeciphered.

I'm no alienfag user, just an interesting observation.

Yeah, youre prolly right oh well.

They didn't.

Egypt and Mesopotamia emerged around 3500-3000 BC, the IVC around 3000-2500 BC, Minoans around 2000 BC, China around 2000-1500 BC, Mesoamerica around 1500-1000 BC, Sanskritic India around 600 BC, West Africa around 500-1000 AD, the Mississippi around 1000 AD, etc.

The reason earlier civilizations didn't emerge was because of the Ice Age. The emergence of agriculture around the world was caused by the improvement of climatic conditions and spread of wild grasses after the end of the Ice Age about 10,000 years ago, and then it still took thousands of years for agricultural societies to emerge, spread and develop to a point of civilization which is why you don't get anything before around 3500 BC at the earliest.

Well, you definitely do get sedentary societies earlier then 3500 BC there are tons of prehistoric ruins that predate the fertile crescent civilizations. The thing is they weren't fort builders and they did not urbanize, I just find it strange that people had real cultures and societies, then relatively suddenly (yes 400 years) boom, 3 distinct ones. But brings up that these may simply have spread by traders and nomads.

Minor correction. Sanskritic India was 2,000 BC -600 AD approximately.

What where the people called who lived around the Missisipi?

Id like to get to know more about them.

I think its just called the Mississippi culture. About 1000 BC.

I highly doubt the 2000 BC date for Sanskritic influence on the subcontinent, 1750 to 1500 BC is more ideal.

Not that user but Vedic Sanskrit in its roughest form does start to appear around 2000 BC

Minoan werent a river culture and barely even urbanized

Thanks.

Never heard about them before, looks like I've got some reading to do.

Before sanskrit India there was the Indus valletta civilization dating back to at least 2500 bc

>"civilization" AKA fort building, city making, river cultures

That's now what civilization implies.
Civilization is just an organized community of people sharing a language and culture.
You don't need a river or a castle for it. You just need to have all the people follow some agreed on social contract, trading freedoms for rights.

It's because that after the fall of Atlantis, the earth's collective consciousness sorta restarted itself, and in precise alignment with the cosmologic evolution of our galaxy, our planet managed to enter a higher frequency, thus making humans more spiritually aware of their own knowledge and capabilities.

As such, after 10k years of Atlantis's fall, human civilization started from scratch again, and this time it popped up in 3 times at aproximatly the same time.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicameralism_(psychology)

Mongols domesticated the horse.

God sent them the text message to use their newfound speed to send a message.

They took the message sending too literally.

Some of those dates are off. China is more like 2700 to 2500 BC, For the Minoans trade with other areas started in the 2300–2160 BC time frame and I would say that is a better marker of civilization then palace building.

>Atlantis
You mean the biblical Flood, friend. Atlantis is merely the antediluvian world that Noah's sons spread word about.

Fucking creationists I swear

>it was atlantis
>it was aliens
>it was another god
>anything but that Bible story

No it isn't trade already began in the neolithic in Europe, see obsudian trade through the Mediterranean

I just leave some information but I don't know whether it is helpful for you or not.

Table. King List of Sumerian Civilisation(5200BC~4100BC)
brahmanedu.org/english/materials/summary/79_2.html

Table. King List of Sumili-guk(수밀이국, 須密爾國, 4100BC~2050BC)
brahmanedu.org/english/materials/summary/79_2_1.html

Table. King List of Ur-guk(우루국 또는 필나국, 虞婁國 or 畢那國) or Ur Civilisation(3740BC~1940BC)

brahmanedu.org/english/materials/summary/79_2_2.html

9 hans(桓) with 3 systems in one Nation (1국 3체제 구한, 一國 三體制 九桓)
brahmanedu.org/english/materials/summary/31_1.html

Dude, dont be offended if i cant take you seriously, but these dates are simply insane, there is evidence of trade between the Indus, and Sumer peoples but ffs the time frame is off by about 1000 years, and Buddhas are from another civ entirely.

Sedentary cultures are certainly much older, some even predate agriculture at places like Gobekli Tepe. What I was talking about were civilizations, with at least urbanism, statehood or literacy (or any combination of those).

By Sanskritic India I mean the urban civilization that emerged around the Ganges after about 800-600 BC with the rise of the Mahajanapada states and the Northern Black Polished Ware culture. What you're talking about is Vedic India, which is the pre-urban 'tribal' stage when the Vedas were composed. An amazing culture but not a 'civilization'. As for the Indus Valley, I mentioned them as the IVC.

Chinese civilization is generally agreed to start with the Shang Dynasty around 1500 BC, but the Erlitou culture is pushing dates back to around 2000 BC. There are much older Chinese cultures but they weren't urbanised, literate or organised into states.

As for trade, that long predates civilization all over the world. It's often what causes the rise of civilization, but doesn't define it. Statehood with a literate bureaucracy and some degree or urbanism is what makes the Minoans a civilization, though I'll admit I don't know much about them.

>all around the exact same time 3100 - 2700 BCE?
Yeah, twenty generations between those two dates is definitely at the same time.

Lurk more.

How did they build these structures with bronze tools?

Can someone please fucking explain how they quarried, masoned and then built these megolithic shitebags

No labor laws, and a lot of time.

What he said is no more stupid than what he was replying to. Why do you only single out the one but not the other?

That's like an entire thread in and of itself.

TL;DR

>Bronze, copper, or diorite picks
>logs underneath the rock for hard ground
>sled like device under the rock for sand or other soft ground
>ramps to get stuff up to where it needs to be
>a couple hundred guys with ropes and harnesses can exert a significant amount of force, oxen even more
>use levers or wedges to raise stuff where a ramp would require too much labor

Those structures are mudbrick, they didn't even need bronze.

that's when humanity was uplifted

Do some Gooks really believe they're Sumerians?

This is German Atlantians/Sub-Saharan Egyptian tier levels of retarded.

youtube.com/watch?v=-K7q20VzwVs
The Egyptians weren't stupid. In 0 BC they were already a 3,000 year old civilization. Moving lots of stuff isn't hard when you're a professional engineer who has been trained in the ancient thousand year old art of "moving big things", especially when you have the wealth of a god king and thousands of paid trained laborers at your disposal.

(This is specifically about the pyramids, but the point is the same. Lots of elbow grease and a bit of ingenuity goes a long way).

Aliens.

Aryans invented the chariot.

Proto-Indo-Europeans invented spoked wheels. Wheels and chariots had existed for quite some time.

So yeah, close.

Are you suggesting the forts are a result of Aryanigger raiders sir?

I want the CE meme to die

Really inaccurate chart

No, I am talking about the Indus valley civilization which was a Urban civilization and dated back to 2500 bc

What makes the bible more trustworthy than the rest?

They are all almost certainly bullshit, but some have better probability, or a wider range of more credible sources.

What about Jericho?
>9600BC

In general, this whole emergence of sedentary societies thing was a lot more gradual than people realize.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natufian_culture

>West Africa around 500-1000 AD, the Mississippi around 1000 AD

... no

Mississippi imported crops from Mesoamerica.

West Africa developed agriculture around 1000 BC, not AD. By 1000 AD, the farmers who came from West Africa had already spread over most of the continent.

You completely left out the New Guinean development of agriculture around 5000 BC, and you've ignored the development of civilization in the Punjab.

New Guinea barely counts because their agriculture couldn't sustain very much social complexity at all.

Yeah, they're pretty cool.

There isn't very much left from them, but you can see the ruins of a massive two-tiered pyramid just outside St. Louis.

Why do we not see many of these "sedentary societies" developing in sub-Saharan Africa? Is it just due to the fact that the environment isn't as hospitable to sedentary societies?

That and also it's physically separated from the Eurasian land mass and North Africa by a huge ass desert and thick jungles.

Things like agriculture, metal working, and so on took maybe a thousand years longer to make it past those two barriers than it did for them to reach just about everywhere else in the old world.

Nonetheless, there were a bunch of early societies that we know little to nothing about because they didn't have writing. The Igbo developed ironworking some time before 1000 BC and we know nothing about the context surrounding it.

there are some, for instance we have evidence of iron smelting in Centrafrique and Cameroon as well as some other settlements in Chad

the region has historically had an extremely erratic climate which makes settlement difficult.

book about this I read that I thought was interesting

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/States_and_Power_in_Africa:_Comparative_Lessons_in_Authority_and_Control

yeah the interior of Africa is hard as fuck to penetrate, they were left out of a lot of the flow of ideas that was going on through trade with the rest of the world

prior to around that time period the human mind was bicameral and at that time we gained consciousness which allowed greater organization and growth