ITT: Philosophers that helped you go through shit

I am not a memer, but the thought of everything being a spook helps me keep my emotions under control

i dont know how to break it to you but not everything is a spook.

Doesn't matter if the thought helps me

It doesn't matter if god exists, if the belief in helps a believer it can only be a good thing

Yeah, no. It's /always/ better to accept the truth than to live in denial.

What isn't a spook?

I disagree. Have you read Brave New World?

Facts.

Yes, and the dangers of choosing comfort over truth are a central theme of the novel, so I can only assume you haven't read it.

The guy who knew the truth killed himself in the end

The Savage killed himself because he hated what the pursuit of triviality and comfort over truth had done to the world, not because he knew the truth. The truth wasn't even hidden in BNW, Mustapha Mond was very upfront about it, it was just ignored by the people in favor of comforting slogans and Soma.

But is that the moral of the story? Maybe the moral is that it is better to live in ignorance if it makes you a happier person.

the "utopia" in BNW is not a place any modern person would actually want to live, I think it's very clear we're supposed to agree with the Savage that their society made the wrong choice between "high culture" and "comfort" . Certainly if you read anything else by Huxley this is very evident, but honestly I think the novel itself is clear enough.

Did you actually read his book?

>Truth is above your interests.
Illustrating what a spook is through example, you're a modern Socrates!

I need no philosopher or "thinker" to get me through live. Their words are nothing but that, words that carry little to no meaning in the real world. I simply need what lays before which my own will, my body and my mind to make logical and rational decisions.

This man taught me that it's okay to be an unproductive neet autist kv

The antifragile man partly changed my diet and has otherwise changed my lifestyle.

can you give a quick summary on the things you changed?

- walking much more and for long hours, both in the city and natural areas
- motivated me to even read more books
- more interest in philosophy, sparked interest in complexity science
- more variation in how I eat, on some days I eat little on some days a lot more; on some days I eat a lot vegetables, on the other a lot of, say, beans (protein)
- in general try to add more randomness in my life
- changed my perspective on religion, the old and policies

His book and other books on aging and diet:
- removed most grain from my diet
- stimulate hormesis by drinking herbal teas and other slightly toxic food

I do not agree with him on all things, but he is a very stimulating and provocative writer. Antifragile was one of the few books I reread time and time again.

Taleb isn't without controversy as he doesn't shy away from insulting people. There was someone else I enjoyed reading but he went too far, Taleb manages to do it in a good way.

He actually uses the controversy to sell more books, and it seems to be working.

Nietzsche, fuckin' plebs

Nietzsche. He presented an alternative to the post-Christianity nihilism I was experiencing.

You haven't read The Ego and Its Own then. He never makes that claim.

Me too OP. Though he didn't help much with getting my emotions under control, he helped illustrate to me the baseless nature of values which helped me come to terms with my own existence.

From there Stoicism helped me with getting my emotions under control.

Actually, if Island is anything to go by, the Reservation was just as shitty as the World State. The use of drugs and alcohol on the Reservation was just as toxic. The obsessive monogamy led to sexual and social rejects. The religion was based around almost comically violent self-mutilation. John even misinterprets the Shakespeare he reads, seeing Romeo and Juliet and Ferdinand and Miranda as actual examples of virtue, rather than caricatures of youthful idealism.

Free will, according to Stirner. And since Kantian ethics part from the will itself...

I started reading it but it's just so very adolescent.

Stoicism has helped me appreciate the short term more. I realized that proverbial mountains are climbed one step at a time, you can't just wait for a golden opportunity to do it all in one go.

No, but a lot of the things people talk about are

To call something a fact is merely a personal expression of confidence in belief. Often a form of the ipse dixit fallacy that's gained social acceptance. All human epistemology is guesswork.

Speak for yourself. I would.