ITT: Cool historical facts

In medieval times, salt was worth more than gold

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=g_3wRicL-QI
youtube.com/watch?v=qh7rdCYCQ_U
nasa.gov/vision/space/workinginspace/great_wall.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Semen tastes bitter.

I heard the romans or some other army were sometimes paid in bags of salt rather than currency

The US highway system was built as an infinite runway strip.

>we craved that mineral

No it wasn't

Yes, that's why so many of them have street lights alongside of them and turn quite often.

Yeah, that sounds super suspcious, because I can go to the ocean and MAKE salt.

a salt mine was a valuable resource in the old days
but was it really worth more than gold pound for pound at any point in history?

no, it was not. it's b8

In medieval times, gold was worth more than a lesser amount of gold

>MAKE salt
you mean GET salt

t. Alchemist

But a guy in /r9k/ that tasted his own said it tastes sweet.

Stale bait, retard

What is true is that during the reign of Enrico Dandolo in Venice until the sack of Constantinople in 1204, a pound of gold and a pound of salt weighed the same.

you sound salty

I wanna eat what he's eating.

The Dark Ages of Christianity halted scientific progress for centuries

I read that this is where the word "salary" comes from.

Christianity is what made Rome fall.

WAHT THE FUCK, NO IT WASN"T YOU FUCKING IDIOT, DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT HISTORY???????

What?

>a pound of gold and a pound of salt weighed the same.
I fucking hope so, or else we got bigger problems than cool historical facts.

Rome's name isn't actually Rome. Only high priests knew it and it was only spoken during secret ceremonies. The reason is that if they were to call the city by its real name, enemies would use it in their own rituals to curse the city. In 1st century BC, a Roman politician was even executed on Senate's order for openly saying Rome's real name.

youtube.com/watch?v=g_3wRicL-QI

Swords weren't actively used until the 13th century.

In the olden days, alchemists would try and turn lead into salt.

Judas was actually paid in salt, it was just mixed up due to a mistranslation.

Best comment

Pineapple

Gold could literally be found on the floor in Egypt.

I'm sure there were times and places where this was true. But it certainly was NOT true for many more places during many more times in the medieval period.

>invented a stick they said

>Not knowing salt preserves your food and tastes good
>Thinking it is worth less than a shiny object
This is a history board...

>Trusting Lindybeige
Why?

As old as the pyramids were to the romans is as old as the romans are to us now.

>did you know that Rome fell because all Romans suffered from lead posioning because of the aquaducts?
>did you know that the Great Wall of China is visible from the Moon?
>did you know that the Nazis were days away from creating an atomic bomb?
>did you know that the Pyramids in Egypt were built by Jewish slaves before Moses freed them?
>did you know that people thought that the Earth was flat before Colombus?

Objectivelt wrong.
Last time there were true romans was 600 years ago

well, obvious one, but many people don't know it: swords were for the most time side-arms, and warriors carried several weapons

/r9k/ by itself is so bitter that anything tastes sweet

Romans believed they were able to conquer all those peoples because they were pious and gained the favour of the gods of the conquered.

did you know that if you were to switch J and K in J.F.K around, the F would still be in the same place

Swords are actually agricultural tools.

We wuz actually kangz.

Roman soldiers would be awarded a salt cellar for a successful campaign. Cellar is where we get the word salary from.

When Brennus sacked Rome he demanded salt and pepper. When the Romans complained about unfair weights, he threw his sword onto the scales and demanded garum (the Roman ketchup) as well.

the chinese were the first ones to actually invent forks

Part of its value comes from how scares and hard to obtain it is. You can literally walk up to the coast, scoop out some water, and leave that water in the sun for a day. Ta-da! Salt.

if you replace "the Romans" with "Cleopatra" he's right

Is it Reme?

The European sword is actually a bastardization of the Japanese katana. As the design traveled by word of mouth, people mixed it up and ended up with the ineffective design we see today, they didn't even know to fold it a thousand times.

Hes correct
I can't remember the ratio but its something like, for every 5 miles of road there has to be 1 mile of straight flat road so aircraft can do emergency landings should they crash

*tips fedora*

Well, here's a list of names that have been speculated to be the true name of Rome through the centuries. The truth is lost in time:
Antusa
Amarillis
Petra
Flora
Amor

Because he has the beetus

The word assault originally meant to rob an individual of the salt they carried. The offence was seen as so heinous that it was given its own term and carried a death penalty. Over time, as it became cheaper to obtain, the salt aspect was removed from the offence, and now it just means striking someone physically. But the word salt is still in there.

Gold is measured in Troy ounces and there are twelve Troy ounces in a Troy pound. A piund of feathers thus weighs more than a pound of gold. Silly, but true.

Because he's funny, he has a soothing voice, and he knows more about history than I do.

>did you know that Rome fell because all Romans suffered from lead posioning because of the aquaducts?
nope, what is killing Europe is what killed Rome.
youtube.com/watch?v=qh7rdCYCQ_U
nope, it's not.

>did you know that people thought that the Earth was flat before Colombus?
Some people still do

They where not paid in salt as such. It was more of an added bonus. Like having a healthcare package in a modern job. It was a like a nation. It's true that the name was salarium and the word salary is derived from it but they are not directly connected.

The Greeks had no word for the color blue.

This meme needs to end. He isn't that bad. Sometimes he makes fuck stupid points but generally he gets things right.

Stupid /pol/fag.

at no point in history did major parts of a real, major civilization actually believe that the earth was flat. [citation needed]

that's not a fedora argument. It's a fact.
i.e. why did people had to go into graveyards late at night dig out bodies in order to see what the human body looks inside. Because the church didn't allowed for such curiosity.

I'm the one who originally claimed the highways were airstrips.

It's not true. None of it is true. I thought that we were saying bullshit because that's what the OP was obviously doing. No one involved with the highways ever planned on them being airstrips. It's just a rumor with no basis in reality, same ever being worth more than gold by weight or that Roman soldiers got payed only in salt.

No, it's "Gordie."

>you think your bait can stop me

Casualty rates in battles haven't changed throughout history.
You were as likely to be killed at the Somme as you were at Waterloo or Hattin or Marathon

Closet and full blown atheists were just as salty then as they are now about mommy forcing them to go to church every Sunday.

Also, Romans applied salt in their buttcracks in order to prevent swamp ass during battle.

>all Romans
No
>This caused the fall of Rome
lel
>>>did you know that the Pyramids in Egypt were built by Jewish slaves before Moses freed them?
Only evidence of Hebrews being in Egypt is the Old Testament, which isn't the most reputable source.

nasa.gov/vision/space/workinginspace/great_wall.html

It's called a joke you moron

When Julius Caesar arrived in Britain for the first time, he landed on the north-east coast, and the leader of a tribe of Celts called the Chavi approached him and went: "oi m8 u gettin cheeky or summat? just kiddin m8 wot it is rite, gizza fag tho m8 wot it is i just need 2 quid for the chariot so i can get home an' see me mam AW NICE ONE M8 YOUR SORTED YOU ARE M8 NICE ONE."

Julius Caesar left almost immediately, but soon returned with an army to conquer Britain and bring sophistication and culture to it's people.

I had to describe it as anything, it tastes like salty mushrooms with a grain of sugar.

>Not knowing you need salt to crystalize at a certain temperature and point of evaporation, which in a pre-modern society is hard to do
If you don't do this then the salt is carried along by the water vapor into the clouds which is rained down again into the ocean like a cycle

>generally

>desecrating graveyards
Even during Roman times or really any times, digging up a body and examining it was very illegal

imagine this, a molinautist who can't get obvious sarcasm.

>watching wingnut propaganda

Wew lad

kek

Danton did remain somewhat bullish to the end, and helped to bolster and support Fabre and Camille’s dwindling spirits on the way to guillotine. He mentioned how if he left his legs to Couthon and his brains to Robespierre they might remain in power a bit longer. And when it was his time to mount the scaffold, he made sure to remind the executioner to “show my head to the people, it’s well worth seeing”.

>Kyanos
>Glaucos

>colombus
no you idiot magellan did that

Thats ironic if true

nice bait

Lindybeige go pls

back to your containment board

In the old Germanic tribes, killing someone when he doesn't expect it was the highest virtue - especially if he believed you were his ally/friend.

Fuck off and stop killing this board you whiny cunt.

>only one factor killed rome

Can you faggots just shut the fuck up? You're as ignorant as the "normies" you claim to hate. Fucking retards.

> only one factor killed rome

Charlemagne was a black man

What am i looking at here?

So was L. Ron Hubbard

Sumerians, Scythians, and Parthians were Turanic.

This is what I come to Veeky Forums for.

are you trying to refute his point? the user was obviously pointing out it wasn't only the multicultural state rome had become in its last days that dissolved the empire, but many other instances and events.

The term viking actually comes from the norse terms for salt (vik) and raid (ing) because their primary goal was to gather salt from the villages they raided.

L. Ron Hoyabembe you mean

Thanks for the laugh user

>delicious christian tears