As far as multi-ethnic nations go, what caused the United Kingdom to succeed and Austria to fail...

As far as multi-ethnic nations go, what caused the United Kingdom to succeed and Austria to fail? Other than Ireland the UK mostly stayed intact, while Austria collapsed.

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3715574/Scots-want-remain-UK-New-blow-Nicola-Sturgeon-poll-reveals-half-residents-want-Scotland-independent-country.html
europa.eu/european-union/topics/multilingualism_en
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I am not sure what you mean, both of their empires have fallen.

We were not petty, insidious, presumptuous, cowardly.

The Scots are Englishmen in funny dresses. The Hungarians, Slovenes and Poles had nothing in common with the Austrians.

The English are, and were, the absolute majority in the UK (even back when it included Ireland) and therefore more than able to enforce their culture and language upon their lessers. Hell, the only reason Ireland became independent is because Britain was so engrained in anti-Catholocism (even Napoleon III wasn't allowed to marry a British princess he had effectively charmed... because he was Catholic).

They're second in the destruction of regional cultures only to the French. Even now that Ireland is independent, and even if Scotland becomes independent due to differing attitudes towards the EU, they will remain Englishmen with a few funny quirks.

Austria was too kind to its minorities in comparison to the British. The Czech language in particular could have been wiped out if the Austrians had pushed Germanisation harder.

Well, considering the UK is on the brink of breaking up, perhaps it's a little premature to call it "successful".

>Even now that Ireland is independent, and even if Scotland becomes independent due to differing attitudes towards the EU, they will remain Englishmen with a few funny quirks.

A very, very English point of view.

Bad news Jock: dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3715574/Scots-want-remain-UK-New-blow-Nicola-Sturgeon-poll-reveals-half-residents-want-Scotland-independent-country.html

>The Scots are Englishmen in funny dresses.

You are impressively wrong.

Tell me what remains of their culture then. The Scottish, Irish and Welsh languages are DEAD. Remove that and only look at whatever cultural quirks remain, and you will figure out that the Welsh are just as different from Londoners as Northumbrians or the Cornish, or as different as the Parisians are from the Corsicans.

So, in other words, even the highly biased Daily Mail admits the amount of Scots who want independence has nearly doubled in a single generation...

>The Scottish, Irish and Welsh languages are DEAD

That is completely incorrect.

Scots are noticably more liberal, atheistic, republican than the English.

>The Scottish, Irish and Welsh languages are DEAD

Wrong. Again.

Working class people still speak Scots in the street and everyone reads rabbie burns poems once a year.

Gaelic has 60000 speakers.

I think your being deliberately ignorant on Welsh and Irish for the sake of memery here. Eisteddfod was only a few weeks ago for crying out loud.

Much like the Parisians are more liberal, atheistic and republican than those in Provence. Point being?

Good job, so those languages are about as alive as most meme regional languages. Scotland isn't special, friend. Frisia, Bretagne, Swabia and a bunch of other regions are the exact same. Hence why the EU with only 28 nations has 40+ official languages.

They have battered mars bars and glasgow smiles

Don't fucking mock scotland

Due to England fucking themselves over with brexit, we're soon going to replace them on the world stage, and I bet you won't be fucking laughing then

EU has 24 official languages.

>other countries have languages just like Scotland and Ireland!
>Haha! You didn't see that coming! Bet you feel silly now!
This is you

This is b8

>I'm a big greentexting gaylord

This is you

Hello Nigel

Yeah, you're right. My bad.
europa.eu/european-union/topics/multilingualism_en
The other languages are merely indigenous languages that aren't acknowledged as official.

Yeah, so?

>Why did Austria-Hungary collapse.
WWI.

/thread.

Scotland has a long coastline, the Scottish aristocracy were economically linked to England through trade, particularly the lowlanders. Compare this with the Transylvanian aristocracy far from the Danube who were even more distant (in terms of travel costs) than the highlanders.