you win

Religions.

S A T O R
A R E P O
T E N E T
O P E R A
R O T A S

This.

I hope you do not take memetics seriously.

If I think correctly what you mean with meme, I would go with language being the first meme and that includes some body language.

Not sure what is the "earliest meme " however some graffitis on pompei's walls suggest leaving the message
"X is a fag"
Or
"X was here"
Is as old as language x)

Language is more of a technology or standard.

O H S H I T

I think X was here is the oldest. Considering humans probably did it while we were basically animals via piss marks and tree scratching. They must have had some way of marking their territory.

Just realized this would give new meaning to the term shitposting as well.

Don't agree here.

Hand stencils are found on all continents and they're almost always repeated ad nauseam where they occur

Memetics is totally pseudoscientific and has really no explanatory power beyond being a flawed analogy.
Language isn't technology you fucking nigger. It's basic social communication designed to display things like threats or bonding or transmitting ideas. Communication technology blurs the line but the former certainly precedes the latter, unless you want to contrive that sound waves propogating through atmospheric gases constitutes tool usage.

I thought pic related fits this thread well.

>negative hand
>people were posting gore on cave walls over twenty thousand years ago

>#finger fluting

I say prehistoric meme arrows, hashtags and gang signs

The first 'divine' object of humanity was the sky (since it was above mankind and seemed utterly indifferent to the wishes of man), so I guess the Sky God would be one of the first ebin maymays

>Memetics is totally pseudoscientific and has really no explanatory power beyond being a flawed analogy.
Okay, but the thread was about the oldest memes.

>Language isn't technology you fucking nigger
Language as technology is hardly something I came up with, google it sometimes.

>basic social communication designed to display things like threats or bonding or transmitting ideas
Sounds like technology to me.

>unless you want to contrive that sound waves propogating through atmospheric gases constitutes tool usage.
What about fumes rising through atmospheric gases?
It's a rather pointless analogy, admittedly, because standard human languages are much more complex than the ones used in smoke signals. Still, we have complex communication methods besides speech.

What do you think of the following?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finger_binary

Not but I Googled it. Doesn't look pretty.