Cyprus 1974

Who was in the wrong here?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_invasion_of_Cyprus
youtube.com/watch?v=qO9CMSWoWGA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Well, you have a Greek military junta trying to boost their own popularity, Falklands style, and you have Turks invading and annexing a bunch of clay.

I think everyone were pricks. It would be nice if the country reunified at some point.

>t*rkroaches
>not always in the wrong

turkey will be a superpower in the next 5 years

Do you really need to ask?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_invasion_of_Cyprus
>More than one quarter of the population of Cyprus (one-third of the Greek Cypriot population[35]) was expelled from the occupied northern part of the island where Greek Cypriots constituted 80% of the population.
>The occupation is viewed as illegal under international law, amounting to illegal occupation of European Union territory since Cyprus became its member.
>"""peacekeeping""" operation

The turks have been stealing other people's lands and achievements for ages for their "noble" causes.

That said, the Greek junta was also very incompetent and fell shortly after, but that is not justification whatsoever for an invasion.

The Turks, like they fucking always are.

>right and wrong

Just like in almost every case, it depends entirely on your own paradigm.

So is turkroaches getting the fuck out of cyprus a requisite for Turkey joining the EU?

not that it matters, we will never let them in haha

Don't forget that they sent in a bunch of Turkish immigrants from the shittiest parts of Anatolia in the northern part to justify the existance of their failed state.
>you know realise that there are more mainland Turks living in north Cyprus than actual Turkish Cypriots

Good then we dont need to give away our land.

>not that it matters, we will never let them in haha

This. Especially now that Sultan Erdogan is going crazy.

I guess Turkey will have to be one of Russia's bitches instead

>"our" land

Turkroaches everyone

Honestly worth it

>our land
>our
>land

Just a little question what do you think will happen to the Turks when the greek cypriots take over?

>OP asksan actual genuine historical question
>his thread is filled with Turk/Greek shitflinging

Jesus Christ

Question was answered within the first four posts.

Besides, when the question is "who was right and who was wrong", the natural human reaction is to fling shit.

Especially concerning turks

Both sides fucked up. Greece and quite a few sympathetic Cypriots were actively pushing for a coup to unify Cyprus with mainland Greece. I guess they were still butthurt over Smirna. Turks used to event as an excuse to invade and occupy the "Turkish" side.

Meanwhile every NATO ally rolled their eyes and facepalmed and wished its two most chuckleheaded members would stop embarrassing it.

kek

Peaceful population exchange? We can hope.

>he thinks there are still hostilities between them
Both sides stopped giving a shit about each other.

Can i ask which country you live in?

Turkish Cypriots can stay but mainland roaches should get the fuck out.

I want a make a heist movie where they have to steal something from the abandoned city.

Shouldnt you as an american respect our claims? Both nations are build on the right of conquest. We earned the owenership of this land through war if the greeks or everyone else cared so much they shouldnt had lost the land.They were weak during a time of conquest.

The initial spirit of the American Revolution was about self-determination, not brute conquest. This would change, as it does with all nations, but speaking idealistically. No, Turkish occupation of northern Cyprus is clearly unjustified. That the rest of Europe does not wish to start a war is all that allows the Turkish presence on that island to remain.

And we wanted a new homeland after being driven out by other forces. We didnt conquer just for the conquests sake. The right of conquest is our legimitation. And why would europe care about cypriot?. We are a more valuable ally and trade partner than Greece and cyprus combined and thats the only thing that matters.

>And why would europe care about cypriot

Cyprus is a member of the EU and Turkey isn't. The Turkish occupation amounts to an illegal occupation of EU territory. So far no shots have been fired, and they're unlikely to be, but if Turkey does want to join the EU that's going to be a hot button issue.

>more valuable ally
>is isis

what did he mean by this

Turks had right to intervene with Greek Junta by the treaty between them and Britain but no right to occupy.

Both sides are wrong.

That's wrong. Turkey supports a unified Cyprus but Greek Cypriots want all Turks out.

>MIGHT MAKES RIGHT
If that's the case, can we just steamroll Turkey next week and get its dumbshit shenanigans over with now?

>we
Who? Greeks?Balkanites?Armenians? Im sorry but the majority of the est dont see any value in direct millitary confrontation in us. Do you think they are that commited to our former subjects?

user is posing a hypothetical scenario in which Turkey was rolled over by the USA or Russia. In which case, would you still hold to your might makes right reasoning? This is not the time to again rub your dick over Ottoman history.

They want the settlers out, not actual Turkish Cypriots, I doubt they give you actual information on Roach TV.

I would. We would fight to the last man light we did during WW1 but if they conquered us our fate lies in their hands and we were just too weak.

The Right is the Native Cypriots

The Wrong is the t*rkroaches

I have served in Cyprus. Most of the locals on either side are by now relatively chill on the matter, and last I heard the leaders on both sides were working towards a reunification. That is, of an independent Cyprus, belonging to neither Greece nor Turkey.

That was how it was before. That is the entire reason an independent Cyprus was created in the first place.

At this point the Greeks would be well within their rights to just re-absorb the southern part of the island.

You mean Greece? No, I disagree. At this point there are even more Turkish-Cypriots on the island, and apart from being unfair to them, it would be a major trouble to add such a large percentage of a different ethnicity to your nation like that.

I think the just thing right now would be to unite the two halves and have them elect their own government. Maybe make it a small federation, and definitely keep it as a member state of the EU. The island's economy would be better off on its own with the way Greece is right now as well.

Mind you I don't like Erdogan's Turkey at all, but you can't just disregard generations of people who have been born ad raised on the northern part of the island. Plus keep in mind that the Turkish Cypriots have been growing less and less friendly with the Turkish state for some time.

The Turks were in the wrong, they had no right to create an artificial country just to flex muscles and remind the Greeks that life isn't fair.

youtube.com/watch?v=qO9CMSWoWGA

1:00

both people lived in peace next to each other for centuries, it ultimately came to them murdering each other because external factors had their own reasons for it, greece, turkey, britain, america..

its obvious that the first invasion of turkey was completely justified, it prevented the ethnic cleansing of all turks living on the island, the second invasion however, was nothing but a simple land grab

nobody is right or wrong, its a shitty situation that shows yet again the bad side of humans

epic BANTER

land is a spook, lad.

What many people ITT don't seem to understand is that there already is an independent Republic of Cyprus that belongs neither to Greece or Turkey and it is part of the EU.

The Republic of Cyprus issues passports to both Greek Cypriots and Turkish Cypriots and the latter enjoy unrestricted travel in and out of the country.

However it does not recognize as citizens the Turkish settlers brought in after '74 and that part of the island is recognized by the U.N. as an occupied territory of the Republic of Cyprus. "Turkish Cyprus" is also not recognized as a country by any other country or organisation in the world, except Turkey, whereas ROC is recognized by everyone, except Turkey.

Bit of an open-shut case there lads.

/thread

Turks need to expelled.

Turks

Regardless, those which immigrated since the Turkish invasion should be forcibly deported. They are not Cypriots and are only there by means of force.
Fuck your delusional notions of fairness, a people needn't be altered because another was an asshole long enough ago that her people are a generation old there. Mindlessly individualistic tards like you are what destroy civilizations, kill yourself.

They're people, you don't know with what intentions or under what circumstances they ended up there. Seeing as Turkey was the aggressor in this case, it should pay for them (i.e buy them houses of equal value back in Turkey) to relocate to the mainland.

Fuck whatever their intentions were. They are an invading force and need to be expelled. Everything has its risks and sometimes even your children may be expected to pay the price. They chose to immigrate to Cyprus after their country invaded it and they then are gambling on whether or not turkey is able to stake it's claim. They are not innocents in this matter even though they don't bear arms, they are an occupying force nonetheless.

junta was killing turks on the island with the intention of killing them all, turkey invaded and secured the safety of them, after that they took land which kinda wasnt really needed as the junta was no more but you cant look past how retarded the junta handled it, kinda their own fault on killing turks and gambling that turks wouldnt do anything, talk shit get hit

Cyprus agreed by treaty not to try to unify with Greece, under threat of military action. And there was a genuine threat of genocide or forced expulsion for the Cypriot Turks.
Of course, that doesn't justify Turkey STILL occupying the country, 42 years later. Filthy Turks.

United Kingdom.