Cities

Are there any other truly important cities in history?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_of_the_12th_century
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Venice
Berlin
Moscow
Peking
Tokyo

>Jerusalem
>on the same level as Rome just cuz some dude was born there and because a few pointless battles were fought over it

If your'e going for China, I would honestly argue that Shanghai was more important than Peking for most of its history.

How are any of those important?

Lol wtf, none of those is even the most relevant city of its respective country.

Culmination of cultural and political power

>capital of the Jews
>birthplace of Christianity
>linchpin of the Crusades

None of those every had any major cultural influence, or major political power except maybe Moscow for a few decades during the 20th century.

If you accept modern history then New York

Also Mecca/Medina

Like I said
>some dude was born there
>some pointless battles were fought over it

>literally the most important person in history
>some dude

And he wasn't born there.

Why is Paris important? Just because it's THE city of France and France was important?

>relevancy
Babby's first history.

Most important city in Western history m8, be it for politics, science, art, or cultural influence.

I'm not that familiar with tokyo and peking desu but venice and berlin did have huge cultural and political influence
Whatever, this will probably transform in a nationalistic dick wielding contest like most of Veeky Forums

>Most important city in Western history m8
For much of Western History, Paris was a de jure capital of France, and an irrelevant one at that. Hell Louis XIV put his capital in a fucking palace.

It only ever became important in the 18th Century. By then, other cities were outshining it.

Forgive me, he was born in a hut literally a kilometer or so south of Jerusalem, and the fact that he wasn't born there doesn't help your case.

>venice and berlin did have huge cultural and political influence
Only political and only by Western standards and always below others, they were never the "capital of the world" the way the others were.

New York City
Los Angeles

He died there.

Vienna

You're an idiot. In the 12th century Paris was already the centre of all Western art, philosophy, and science, as well as the seat of the most powerful kingdom and dynasty in Europe. It only dropped in relevance during the Hundred Years War, but then became the capital of the West again in the 1600s.

t.Pierre

There used to be at least a few people on this board who knew a little history, but I guess not anymore...

No, but t. clearly Nigel.

Nobody else would be so butthurt as to question Paris while not questioning London.

>knowing history
>posting top 10 meme lists

You can start your education by looking up the University of Paris, Gothic art, and the Capetian dynasty. Not to mention Enlightenment, post-Westphalia Europe, and the French Revolution.

>In the 12th century Paris was already the centre of all Western art
In the 12th Century the French King had a lot of trouble trying to run a fucking country filled with nobles he's supposed to be lord of but act like they're independent.

>You're an idiot. In the 12th century Paris was already the centre of all Western art
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_of_the_12th_century
You'r factually wrong.

Yes, your meme cities truly were important to the cultural development of all the world. Let us disinclude local realities and whole states & societies being driving forces of history and just focus on a bunch of selected settlements.

Baghdad & you mispelt Byzantium.

Rome yes, the rest not so much.

Gothic architecture was born in Paris in the 1140s (Abbot Suger, Saint-Denis basilica, Notre Dame), and so was Abelard's scholasticism, around the same time the University was founded.

As for France and the Capetians rising to being the major power that was a little later, under the reign of Philip Augustus (1180s to 1220s) who conquered almost all Angevin territories in France and laid the foundation for absolutism.

>Vienna
>Peking
>Berlin

lmao you're one to talk about meme cities.

Rome
Constantinople
Jerusalem
Mecca
London
Paris
The various captials of imperial China
Alexandria
Athens
Memphis (Egypt)
Damascus

To name a few

The whole point of this thread is fucking retarded. Culture has no linear development, it doesn't come into existence in one place and than spreads to other place. It's a chaotic highly rhizomatic process putting different cities at different times into the spotlight. One could easily argue that places like Wittenberg and Göttingen had a huge influence on mankind but sitting down trying to create a power chart of important cities doesn't even work in Civ IV and it certainly doesn't in reality. At least if you are over 12 and lost interest in such buffoneries.

>hurr Paris is irrelevant

Francophobia is a disease.

>implying I said anything about Gothic architecture
>implying all of 12th century culture was about Gothic architecture
ok bud.

12th-15th century art is referred to as Gothic, yes.

Xian's the only really relevent one.

Athens

Something constructive at least but it would be more interesting to see where those guys got their education.
>Braunschweig
>Magdeburg
>Potsdam
based germsn

I didn't even use the word art which renders your post irrelevant. But I will stop responding since you obviously lack basic reading skills.

To the guy posting the lists ending at 1900 trying to pretend the timeline is linear and calling people "Franciophiles" because they aren't on board with its autism go kill yourself faggot fucking cunt.

>n=37

Oh you meant literature and how just about every literary work of note was being written in French? Or philosophy and science and how every great mind of the time studied and taught at the University of Paris?

likewise implying its appeal to a democratic majority in any circle is emulatable or that its criteria of inclusion valid

Nothing in this little butthurt rant makes any sense.

You'd just end up with Paris filling half the graph...

Those are all already included though, except Damascus. Why Damascus?

I already posted what I mean and if you think that literature which in the 12th was mostly translational work was in French you are even dumber than I thought. If not go ahead and post a list of the great 12th century French literature.
Just so you know people like Archimedes, Euclid, Galen and Aristotle were introduced in Europe mainly through Latin translations of Greek/Arab works. People didn't even use French at universities, not even in Paris which you would know if you had ever set a foot in a university

How do you know? Also why the fuck does this stuff stop at 1900?

america

New York and Los Angeles.

Not a valid reason at all. Also I guess this was used using wiki, right? I assume the American wiki but the German wiki has far more stuff on certain (even non-German) scientists when some don't even have a wiki article. I am just saying - basic source criticism and that there is a lot of interference here.

>If not go ahead and post a list of the great 12th century French literature.

Ever heard of the Matters of France, Britain, and Rome? Of the stories of king Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table and their quest for the Holy Grail? Of the Roman de la Rose? Of the Travels of Marco Polo?

Literature consists in writing new things, not translating them you utter retard. As for philosophy and science, where do you think that happened? Where do you think Peter Abelard, Thomas Aquinas, Jean Buridan or Nicole Oresme did their work?

Probably because it's meant to be about history, not for getting clogged with present day celebrities? Stopping at about post-WW2 is entirely justified.

literally this

Literally the only relevant part of the world.

Because they all but erased the history of everyone else. Now we all have to wear collared shirts.

Jerusalem was only important theologically, as in only in theory and not in a practical way.

Is this some thinly veiled WEWUZing?

>Literature consists in writing new things

Wrong. Look it up what the word means and how translations get done. I can also tell you never worked with any classic texts translated using Medieval copies to have a version as close as possible to the original text. Pretty much the proof that you never even had a freshman year studying. Also none of the people you posted wrote their works in French. Literally kill yourself.

Also if you think that Roman de la Rose is more important that Walter von der Vogelweide somehow you need to step up your medieval history game bruh.

>Where do you think Peter Abelard, Thomas Aquinas, Jean Buridan or Nicole Oresme did their work?
>keep moving the goalpost like it ain't not thang

>contemporary history is not history
ok guess they just should down my department.

>The Great Dying and the Century of Humiliation didn't exist

Along with its great sister cities – Tashkent, Bukhara and Samarkand – Merv developed a complex culture, fostered in universities, and produced such genii as al-Biruni, who first computed the radius of the earth, the lyric poet Rudaki, and the great Ibn Sina – known in the west as Avicenna – who wrote 242 books of stupefying variety and whose Canon of Medicine became a textbook in the hospitals of Christian Europe for over 500 years.

The Matters of France, Britain, and Rome were written in French.
The Roman de la Rose was written in French
The Travels of Marco Polo was written in French.
Walther von der Vogelweide has no relevance outside of Germany.
Peter Abelard, Thomas Aquinas, Jean Buridan or Nicole Oresme all studied and worked in Paris.

Your constant pathetic attempts at ad hominem won't hide the fact you obviously got your entire history education from imageboard memes.

Yeah they probably should.

>history
>the study of past events

>contemporary
>belonging to or occurring in the present

Moscow/St. Petersburg. you can coin toss on which one is more important to Russia/Russia's expanded sphere of influence

Tokyo
Shanghai
New York City
Vienna
Mecca/Medina

if you want to go to historical/ancient times since Babylon and Memphis are there:

Tenochtitlan
Angkor Wat
Kyoto
Ctesiphon/Persepolis

what city is the google servers located in

do underground military bases count?

Why do some people always go on about Vienna? You know the seat of Habsburg power was Madrid, right?

St P is merely a cultural reserve & the last bastion of Orthodoxy. Moscow is your city on the hill.

Somewhere Sumerian should be on the list

I don't see how any of those are relevant in the grand scheme of things. I guess Mecca and Medina for Islam, but not really, that could have happened anywhere in the region.

the guy that founded Islam was born from the tribe that controlled Mecca. it was already a trade center as well as a cultural center, what with the idols and the kaaba. Islam couldnt have happened anywhere else in the region

Tokyo and Shanghai are two of the most trafficked trading centers in the world, same as New York City, their stock exchanges along with London's run the global economy.

Moscow has always held dominance over Eastern European/North Asian affairs, being the cultural and political center for nearly 1/8th of the world at any given time at least, and nearly 1/3 of the world during the height of the Soviet Union.

Vienna and the Austrian Empire have been just as much a center for high European culture as France and England, with many cultural and artistic masterpieces that shaped the European identity coming from there.

Tenochtitlan at its height compared to Constantinople in population and importance, being the center of the entire Mesoamerican world.

Angkor Wat was the crowning achievement for the Khmer Empire, which has been proven to be far more advanced and much larger in scale than previously thought, shaping all of South Asia's history during its time as a political center.

the historical capitals of the Persian Empire should go without saying if you want to include Babylon or Memphis. Persepolis was the center of most of the known world during Xerxes' reign, along with Ctesiphon being the continued center for Persia all the way to the Islamic conquests of the Sassanids.

Yeah I dont know how you can deny venice was a political, economic and trading powerhouse back in the days. Its political conduct oftentimes shaped history (see the fourth crusade, the crusade of varna, the war of the league of cambrai...), and its diplomats quite literally invented modern diplomacy as we know it.
If your concern is about "muh center of the world status", then yeah, venice still qualifies: in the 14th and 15th centuries venice was probably the wealthiest city of the world. If anything, this reasoning should validate milan too, seeing as in the 12th century milan was, literally, the biggest and wealthiest city in europe.

If you're including Alexandria and Memphis you should also definitely include Thebes.

cusco

Ctesiphon

>not one mention of Delhi

Not even a Pooloo, come on Veeky Forums