How did you choose your denomination, Veeky Forums?

How did you choose your denomination, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nondenominational_Christianity#Criticism
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Born shia. But i dont care anyway

Parents desu

God's Holy Spirit guided me to the true Reformed faith.

Nobody meme'd me into organised religion.fedora

>raised in atheist household
>got baptised at 18
>now Roman Catholic
Still dont know desu, just seemed to fit

born catholic. Became fedora tipper for short while. Now atheist, apathetic towards religion.

latin mass is lit desu senpai

About to get baptized this Fall. I find no fault with the dominant church here (Lutheran), so that will be it.

Religion is the opiate of the masses.

Atheist, because I didn't grow up in a religious household.

If I had to pick I'd probably go catholic because I like the aesthetics and community stuff (I'd also settle for Orthodox for the same reasons but they're less prevalent here), but I'm too cynical to hold a genuine belief in the doctrine.

Extremely difficult issue. I've been through the fedora phase already, I would convert but I just don't think any religion has got it right.

I believe in God but the bible is obviously bs. I mean come on. I'm not against religion in the public place as I used to be, but don't insult me talking about the bible as if it were true. I mean I get it, religion is important, community, morals, spirituality even... But don't, just don't.

I don't buy in to fairy tales from merchants about a literal cuckhold having Jesus as his wife's son of god

Born and raised Lutheran, read up on other denominations and philosophies, wasn't impressed, stuck with it. Kant, Kierkegaard, and Marcus Aurelius are some of my favorite philosophers.
>blogpost

Birth at first, then returned after seeing how many fedora tippers there were and how being them felt worse than being around mostly friendly Church folk

I didn't, Valisystem just happens to be real.

I would only convert to Catholicism or Orthodoxy and here's why. These two are actually bigger than the bible. Protestantism stand or falls with the bible, but Catholicism or Orthodoxy have cultural, philosophic, aesthetic traditions of their own. They don't need it! In my opinion, the bible has already been debunked. Sure Protestants can pretend that it isn't the case, but for how long? Whereas Catholicism or Orthodoxy have so much more going on for them that they basically don't need the bible anymore. Sure, we got that part wrong, but what about all the rest? Don't you like Thomas Aquinas' cosmological argument? Don't you like the philosophy, the mystical tradition, the devotion, the liturgy, the chant, the incense? We still have all of that going on. They are a thing of their own now, they got over the bible. Who cares what happened in Palestine fucking 2000+ years ago? They got a life of their own now.

why is this board becoming a fedora?

>In my opinion, the bible has already been debunked.

In my opinion, you forgot to say m'lady.

Saved.

You think Christianity/the New Testament is "about" Joseph?

>choosing your denomination
might as well be a godless heathen if you aren't following the faith of your forefathers desu

heretic

Saw this on . How fresh is this pasta?

>not worshipping the earth and sky of your greatest-grandfathers

I shiggy dig shiggy dig shiggy dig doo

Honestly fuck the bible. The secret is out, it's all fanfic! There are solid arguments for the existence of God though. No reason the traditions shouldn't be kept.

>pasta
I just posted there myself. I'm posting in two threads.

Excellent digits me worthy gentlescholar

That's a picture of yourself? Nice hat!

its a meme ya dip.

I see you lost weight there, congrats! Still I don't think you should post pictures of yourself in a anonymous forum.

>i know you are but what am i?

I've thought about looking into Celtic paganism but the fact that we know so little about it and most of it is just reconstructionist guesswork deters me.

Who is the atheist?

Lord knows.

Was born into a baptist family. Didn't fit but the idea of God was interesting to me. Later became a fedora tipper. Still that feeling of God in me. Cycling through a lot of religions. A mix of Buddhism and Pantheism seems to fit right now.

Weird, he lead me to the Orthodox church.

;-)

I'll be you're a STEMfag too.

*bet

Dawkins is jewish?

Who would have thunk

Couldn't decide which one to choose so I rolled a D12. Deus Vult!

I try my hardest not to subscribe to /pol/-tier stuff, but I swear once I saw a chart describing how a huge chunk of ethnic Jews are atheists.

Most American and European Jews, being urban elites, are naturally more prone to atheism and other "liberal" behavior, and those who are still religious tend to be very orthodox or kabbalists. And they have ridiculously high outmarriage rates, of course.

The rationalist community is absolutely choke-full of ethnic Jews.

Also this comic is always relevant to any discussion of Jewish demographics

If you were going to be poetic about it, you might almost say that they've taken their race's long, long history of doubting and testing God to its logical conclusion.

Pretty sure that's exactly how many of the atheists who still consider themselves culturally Jewish see things.

I'm pretty much a pagan at this point, but I would choose orthodoxy for the wrong (ie, not spiritual) reasons

>heavily traditional
>excellent aesthetics
>anti Muslim
>steadfast in their moral interpretations, not caving to modern ideas that contradict original doctrine

Francis seems like a genuinely nice individual, but he's absolutely caving to modern moral relativism.

Btw, I grew up in a fundamentalist protestant church, and protestantism in general is absolute pleb tier

>philosophy just tricks your mind, and Satan is much smarter than humans so he uses philosophy to corrupt and make you part of "the world"
>you can't go to liquor stores or movie theaters or listen to pop music because of your testimony, how will you get people to believe like we do if you're not different

When your main reason for doing something is for other people that you judge as incorrect in their beliefs, you're no better than gossip columnists or housewives who get plastic surgery. In short, unsophisticated and ethically precarious.

>this is what papists actually believe

Raised in a Catholic environ but never go to church on a regular basis or baptized for that matter. Around age 18 go to a non denominational service and knew other people who went through the same but eventually stop going most likely because too lazy to go to church every Sunday morning but also because I started to wonder about what truth really is so rather than keep on listening to the pastor's sermons I begin to enquire on it starting at wikipedia.
Today I'm leaning Lutheran but I don't really subscribe completely to any popular Christian dogma but do agree with certain tenets.
You'll find that a lot of people come out of the culture they were brought up in to become prominent advocates of the faith they choose to join like Father Tryphon and Bhikku Bodhi.

Was born Catholic, then I realized the absurdity of a man being God so I'm reverting to Islam to follow God's truth.

More than 95% chance your parents did the picking. And their parents before them.
You don't choose your religion. You get it spoonfed.

>brainwashed theists will fight this

>unreadable.jpg

Loosely practiced Judaism in childhood and teens because both parents Jewish, then afterwards gradually became de facto atheist due to shedding of belief in any god as described in the holy books. Though I never claim to be atheist, or agnostic, or any denomination of religious belief or non belief.

Christian but i don't have any denomination.

You're non-denominational then. Basically Baptist with a different veneer.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nondenominational_Christianity#Criticism

Which denomination? I am LCMS

Did you see the one where they hate christians despite christians being accepting of JewS?

Nice cropping skills faggot

Wait, but I became catholic!

He took me to Florida.

>One side of family are reform Jews
>Other are Catholics (everyone is lapsed but Grandma)
>Every theologian/apologist that influenced conversion was Catholic except for CS Lewis and DB Hart, and even they are pretty close to being Catholic
>RC seems to be a complete picture of reality
>Never fell for the idolatry meme
>Protestantism relies on the church apostatizing in the 2nd century and no one noticing
>Mainline prots more pozzed than liberal Catholics and they don't have conservatives to balance them out
>Evangelicals are nuts and an entirely different culture than my own
>LCMS believed in YEC up until a few years ago
>Most high-church Anglicans are becoming Catholics anyway
>Not Greek or Slavic and have no problem with Papal primacy

The Quran has less of an excuse for being historical inaccurate than the Bible. Muhammad received knowledge from an angel and the thing has been very carefully copied, so any major mistake is inexcusable.

More like the Trolly Spirit, am I right?

Weird it made me microwave my baby.

From what you say - Satan might've deceived you :^)

God wanted me to be born in a Lutheran family, no reason to change that. If God wants me saved, I'll be saved. If he wants me damned, I'll be damned.

If another denomination is the true faith, and he wanted to save me, he would have made me to be born in that denomination.

May his will be done, not mine.

What does Veeky Forums think of Unitarian Universalism? Raised evangelical/protestant, but found it intellectually unsatisfying. UU at least is comfortable with me asking questions.

What church did you go to that didn't like oyu asking questions? I'm Catholic, and isn't that exactly what the priests are for? For you to ask questions of either about the religion or to try to get guidance for your general life?

Alliance evangelical church. Every time I started asking questions, pastors would try to guide me back to the standard dogma without really wrestling with the paradoxes of Christian faith.

I might go back to one of the mainline Christian churches, I might've just needed a long break.

Idk desu. I like the energy and social aspects of Protestant churches, but I'm no longer a Trinitarian, don't believe in original sin, skeptical of heaven/hell, and am critical of the sola scriptura approach of the protties.

Catholics are interesting, but I have a lot of difficulty accepting most of their dogmas and social attitudes

That's interesting, it's not what I've experienced at all. I've had priests tell me they just don't know, but they'll look into it and I can ask again in a week or so, or at most the "we can't know the mind of God" stuff, but that's a legit answer to some questions too.

>Catholics are interesting, but I have a lot of difficulty accepting most of their dogmas and social attitudes

Which ones do you mean?

And I always recommend to people who aren't sure to just go to a couple masses, see if it seems like it fits to you. You don't have to get rebaptised to just walk into church a couple times, talk to the priest who's present if you'd like. If they can't answer your questions then just don't go back if you don't want.

>be born to athiest parents, but they didn't hate religion, I occasionally went with a friend to their church or synagogue and liked it because of the pageantry and the music
>Go on /pol/ and fall for the Catholic generals and fedora posting a little, consider becoming Christian
>Drop that idea as soon as I cracked open a bible and started reading it

It's funny how nobody in this thread gives any logical reason why their religion isn't made up, it's all muh tradition, muh degeneracy, and fedora posting. I appreciate the aesthetics if Catholicism and the atmosphere of attending mass at a historical cathedral but none of that means it wasn't made up by humans. When you actually read the bible it's obviously bullshit, so Christians just pick and choose what's supposed to be taken literally as the times change. Funny how "God's word" is so similar to so many dead religions from the same region and time period.

Why bother with the bible if it's not supposed to be taken literally?

A logical Catholic will become Protestant. A logical Protestant will become athiest.

Cue the fedora posting and lack of actual rebuttal.

But user, we believe it's all true, some of it quite literally.

The world is a strange and spooky place. You don't have to be an /x/ poster to agree with that.

>tfw Southern Baptist coworkers

These people are batshit insane. They're basically Mormon but less classy. They seem even more guilty and self hating than Catholics. At the crazier backwoods churches they basically treat women as thre property of their father or husband and trick them into marrying the first acceptable person they date ASAP and popping out babies so they don't have the time, money, or lack of parental obligations to spend time worrying their little heads thinking critically instead of just doing whatever their preacher tells them without hesitation.

Daniel?

I was raised as a Methodist and always had a really deep appreciation for the musical tradition
I dropped religion around the time I got to high school, but I've very recently picked it back up at 21. I tried going to Mass a few times, and I probably would have gone for the RCIA had a Tridentine service been within driving distance

but just last week I've found my way back to Methodism, it just really feels like home to me

>But user, we believe it's all true, some of it quite literally.

What parts aren't literal? Why?

>The world is a strange and spooky place. You don't have to be an /x/ poster to agree with that.

>There are strange phenomena in the world we don't totally understand
>This means that my particular religion must be true since this whole "science" thing doesn't have a neat little way for everything to conviniently tie the dogma as times change and we learn new things about the world!
>Can you believe these scientists actually admit they don't know everything!? At church they explain why everything happens for a reason, they obviously know whatb they're talking about and seem so sure if themselves, they CAN'T be wrong because they have an explanation for everything!
>"The Lord works in mysterious ways..."

Who are you quoting?

I've been raised as a muslim by my muslim parents. My mom is illiterate but my Dad has been schooled. He told when I was around 20 that he never truly believed in Islam but he found that the basic rules were good enough for raising a family. I didn't understand what he meant back then but now I get it. In this everchanging world your kids can easily get caught into bad things like drugs, teen pregnancy drinking without caution etc. My sisters didn't turn out to be sluts and my brothers don't abuse substances of any kind. I genuinely believe that religion in general is great to raise children with morals/values but at somepoint they should be able to decide whether they become atheists or not. It's a shame that in other parts of the world people like my mom who are illiterate have no choice but to believe in it without being able to explore it.

I myself am in between, I believe there's a power that you could call God but I don't believe that Islam or other religion are right. What do you call that precisely?

No denomination, follow the light.

Born and raised Lutheran, but I didn't know Luther rejected free will and was basically pro-calvinist. But now I read from all the scientists who say free will is an illusion and I wonder if Calvin and Luther were right, and what are the consequences.

I always thought salvation was something we could freely choose to accept or reject from God. It just seems it'd be cruel and unusual if we had no freedom to choose oblivion or heaven. And I say oblivion instead of hell because I think the faithless simply die, based on how the afterlife is described in the old testament.

I'm probably a massive heretic when I think that souls aren't real and that they are entirely unbiblical/unscientific headcanon caused by the influence of Greek philosophers on early Christian scholars.

You are a Deist.

Jesus quoted Isaiah on how the afterlife is; where the worm (you) does not die, and the fire does not go out.

Jesus explicitly called the lake of fire eternal torment.

Your attempts to soften God are not doing God any favors.

It's also a place where nothing is done according to Ecclesiastes. Jesus described it as "outer darkness"- how can you have fire and darkness at the same time? I think there is a context given from the Bible on how horrible hell is to someone who loves God, whereas a person who does not love God would hate heaven. The "fire doesn't go out" is about the permanence of hell.

This is what I concluded when I tried to put the OT verses on the afterlife and the NT verses on the afterlife together without having them contradict each other.

I don't think I am softening God. The complete, total, and permanent destruction of someone who doesn't believe in or love God isn't exactly soft; it's just something that atheists happen to believe will happen to them. Besides, hell is described as separation from God. To be separated from God is somewhere there is no God. The only thing you can have in a place with no God is nothingness.

Ecclesiastes says "under the sun" 27 times.

Do you think that means "under the sun"?

Do you think "under the sun" means "in the next afterlife"?

>how can you have fire and darkness at the same time?

Invisible fire. We already have this. Your assumption that all fire gives off light is specious.

>it's just something that atheists happen to believe will happen to them.

Do you think their beliefs translate into reality?

Or do you think God will do what God says He will do?

Bet on this happening.

Revelation 20:10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

Revelation 20:14 Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Revelation 20:15 And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.

Revelation 21:8 But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”

There is only one Christian Church, united in faith, in worship and in in succession from the Apostles themselves. For the Church is the Body of Christ Himself, and so is whole and one as Christ's Body is whole and one. Lumen Gentium, the Dogmatic Constitution on the Church promulgated by the Fathers of the Second Vatican Council, states that:

"The sole Church of Christ [is that] which our Saviour, after His Resurrection, entrusted to Peter's pastoral care, commissioning him and the other apostles to extend and rule it .... This Church, constituted and organized as a society in the present world, subsists in the Catholic Church, which is governed by the successor of Peter and by the bishops in communion with him."

The Catechism of the Catholic Church states that:

"The Church is one: she acknowledges one Lord, confesses one faith, is born of one Baptism, forms only one Body, is given life by one Spirit, for the sake of one hope, at whose fulfilment all divisions will be overcome."

Thanks for all of the replies, I really enjoy discussing this topic.

>Do you think "under the sun" means "in the next afterlife"?
I would say that it means "in the physical world," but I don't know if I'm understanding the point you're trying to make.

I suppose you are right, but I thought the NT mostly talked about fire in the context of Gehenna, the trash dump outside of Jerusalem.

>Do you think their beliefs translate into reality?
not at all! I would just say that a broken clock is right twice a day.
>Or do you think God will do what God says He will do?
I think God will do what He says He will.

>If another denomination is the true faith, and he wanted to save me, he would have made me to be born in that denomination.
>May his will be done, not mine.

Under the premise of the Calvinist view of no free will- If God is all good, why would He choose to only save a few people? I never understood that.

God doesn't care what papists say. They have nothing to do with Him, and He has nothing to do with them.

In fact, He hates the ways and beliefs of the Nicolaitans, and there is no greater Nicolaitan organization on earth than the Roman church.

Yes. Ecclesiastes does not deal with the afterlife, only things under the sun. So if you see a dead body, and try to talk to it, it does nothing but sit there and rot.

However, the person who used to inhabit that body is not there; he is in the afterlife, which Ecclesiastes does not deal with, at all. So using Ecclesiastes as a source of information for the afterlife is misusing Ecclesiastes.

The trash dump is just a picture of the lake of fire; garbage on fire forever. And the place where that garbage fire is, in the valley of Hinnom, was the major spot of Molech worship.

God says that anyone who is not in the Lamb's Book of Life gets tossed into hell.

He further says why be afraid of a man who can just kill you, when God can kill you and cast your soul into hell?

People who want nothing to do with God don' tknow what they're asking for. They don't know God, they don't know everything that comes with God, and they don't know what the absence of all of those things will be like.

It will be worse than their worst nightmares.

Calvin was wrong. He did not, or could not, reconcile God's sovereignty and God's omniscience with mankind's sovereignty and mankind's free will moral agency.

God said directly that it is His will that none should perish.

Most perish.

Therefore it is not God's will being done.

>based on how the afterlife is described in the old testament.
Woe to the nations that rise up against my people! The Lord Almighty will take vengeance on them in the day of judgment; fire and worms he will give to their flesh; they shall weep in pain for ever.

Judith 16:17