ITT meme helmets

ITT meme helmets

was there practical use to the spike besides aesthetic and a projection of authority? Like those small holes in the spike, what are they for?

The helmet itself had no practical value, just aesthetic, it was made from leather instead of metal

>those small holes in the spike, what are they for?
So your scalp gets some air, it's good for your hair I guess.

Objective best helmet of WW1.

W-Wojak?

They anticipated a two front war, knew ammunition supplies would eventually run short, and planned ahead

>Aye, Siwmae

It is indeed well known that french soldiers of WW1 were often submerged in feels, lending them the appearance of the well-known internet meme acknowledged as "Wojak".

You came to the wrong neighborhood Teuton.

Yes.

Deflecting direct vertical blows.

Do you have a sad Pepe Tommy soldier?

Nope, but I could make one

Pls do.

>a generations suffering has been reduced to a comical caricature
Deep.

>Meme Helmets
>Various nationalists post their own shit.
Ok, time for objectively meme helmets now.

wojak literally means soldier in PL

>hating
simple and comfortable, what else could you wish for?

fun fact, although they might not look like it, most pickelhaube helmets were made from leather!
i know i was surprised when i found out, always thought they wuz metal n shiet

It is there to deflect an swordstrike from above.

this is bullshit, that thing made from brass wont stop a sword cut, my guess is you could take off your helmet and use it to bash enemies if you're that desperate

It would turn a dead on hit into a glancing one, not really hard to believe

it could glance a hit, it's possible, but who strikes a helmet at the top where it's stronger, the old medieval bassinets could deflect a sword or mace strike, but notice the difference pic related

meme helmet, can you imagine riding a horse with this, the amount of air drag that thing would cause sure as hell guaranteed to wear down your neck pretty fast

Metal ones existed. The Garde Du Crops and the Cuirassiers wore them.

It's not particularity good, but I hope it's ok

I suppose you are right, but I just liked the uniform

Thanks m8, saved.

np

I'm pretty sure these were only for burying dudes in, not wearing in battle.

these were used by army elite, like commanders and generals, so yes probably not in battle but I'm sure they would ride with these as a sign of power and might, would be uncomfortable either way

this one probably gave birth to the playmobil toys

Not a meme. Just a simple, good design, optimized for the era.

That's just a deformed Attic helmet, but an Attic nonetheless. It meant for officers and companion cavalry.

I WISH these helmets were meme helmets, the feather crests look sick af

t. late romaboo

I'll just leave this here...

yeah, the guy that made the helmet, probably tried mixing an attic with a Corinthian helm

True, but I was meaning that it was meme because it was essentially the symbol of WW1 and anyone could recognize what it was from.

anyone know why they used to put this hair crest on roman/greek helmets?

Usually to distinguish officers. Greeks IIRC had a horizontal crest for this purpose.

What is up my bitches?

Napoleonic cuirassier helmet.

I think that might be the 1874 version of the French Cuirassier helmet, but it looks good nonetheless.

Pic related is the type that was used in the Napoleonic era

i know that, i meant why the hair why shaped like a mohawk?

Napoleonic era was the most fancy era to be in the military, such luxury

Because it was often a horse mane made into a brush and colored.

That or feathers were prefered for being bright and lightweight. They could be removed easily for cleaning or storage.

OP asked for meme helmets.

He got meme helmets.

As in helmets that are memes.

Helmets that when you told plebby tards to close their eyes and imagine what a Greek Hoplite/Viking/Knight/Barbarian/Nazi Soldier would wear, that shit shows up.

None of this hussar/cuirassierboo/insert my specific national-bias helmet shit.

I'm sorry, Veeky Forums I couldn't resist making this comparison.

Like this?

Plebs cant tell the difference between a roman/greek crested helmet. So long as it has a crest.

Well, this is a certified classic meme helmet

>Objective best helmet of WW1.
Why though?

Haus der Geschichte in Stuttgart has a pickelhaube with a bullet stuck in it, can't remember if there was a story on how it managed to stop it (ricochet or extreme distance) so not 100% useless, just around 99.9% useless.
The same room has Rommel's marshals baton in it, its a nice museum apart from the fact that everything is in german and translations to english are either short or there aren't any and both WWI and WWII don't get much attention.

writes itself

Greek companions did not use attic helmets.
Greeks just did it to look cool while Romans were a mix between looking cool and officers wanting to look cool.

>that purple-lined helmet with the chi-rho on it

I came

VARUS

GIB ME BACK MY DIGITS VARUS

You still had to deal with marching with diarrhea a lot of the time. Them flash uniforms gon get dirty af

I assume he means in terms of availability, as the French helmets were introduced more than a year before the Brodie. It wasn't too uncommon for British soldiers and officers to buy them for themselves. Some American units were equipped with it as well.

Pure sex.

Happy, chappies?

I heard the French helmets where made if far thinner metal than their british counterparts which is the reason the Brodie was favoured.

This made me laugh more than it should have

Yeah the Adrians were thinner and required quite a bit more steps to produce. The Brodie was selected partly because it was so easy to manufacture.

>Objective best helmet.
>Shitloads of modern helmets are based off the Kraut design.

Kraut design is based off the Sallet.

brodie off the kettle

adrian off the cuirassier helmets

best american design ended up being rejected for looking too much like the german helmet

Funnily, the pickelhaube is based off that one too

And now the real reason:

The spike traditionally held a plume or feathers during the napoleonic times. The plume eventually was only used for ceremonial purposes by WW1, leaving behind a plain, featherless, pickelhaube. The spike is purely a traditional dress feature and ultimately useless for actual combat, unless you want to go headbutt/stab a nigga

Forgot pic