Uni Thread

Been a long time since we had a uni thread. Seems appropriate seeming as the next year is about to start again.

>What you study
>How you rate your course

Other urls found in this thread:

w4mp.org/
ocw.mit.edu/index.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>haggis niggers on Veeky Forums

How interesting.

>Bachelor of Arts in International Relations and History

It's a tad too theoretical than hands on. The history has been great though. I really like the focus on social and cultural history instead of military history and the new move into local Australian history is rather interesting.

I'm majoring in Advanced Shitposting.

celtic or rangers?

ay same uni, but I do STEM because I'm too much of a pussy to do philosophy because I fell for the >muh jobs, meme

>Double degree B/Econcomics and B/Systems Engineering

Econ is shit. It's catered towards grad students. Everyone who isn't doing the degree is either indifferent or a sociology student (i.e. Marxist but it's politically unpopular to say that) so there isn't much love.

Engineering is alright, needs to focus on the technical aspect more.

Hey classmate
>Not doing a double degree in Law and Economics
I pity you

>Debate club president.

Fucking brilliant kek

queensbros ww@

any /oxbridge/ bros here?

Looking at uni's in England atm for the same course, what would you say IR is like, is it just meme tier philosophies or is it any good

what unis you looking at ked?

what do you study? I went on Erasmus Exchange to QUB

Do law do better tutes than econ? I'm getting pissed at learning from 'tutors' who just get so nervous they just sweat out the whole class.

History and politics my dude

Politics department is pretty pathetic imo but history was always my focus anyway

What'd you study?

Oxford here, MPhil. Entering second year. Really don't like the place desu. Not trying to be edgy - just have never really gelled with it.

What college?

CCC

my cousin went there and loved it. What don't you like about it? The atmosphere? The ethos? I've heard that Oxford is a lot more intimidating and artificial than Cambridge is.

Muh nigga.

Artificial is probably the right word. Because under all the lovely buildings, as an institution it hasn't struck me as having any genuine greater attachment to scholarship than anywhere else I've experienced. It's been disappointing to be honest.

The libraries and the amount of stuff you can take out of them is brilliant, but that's about all I've come to love.

And yeah, the collegiate thing - I think a reality of it that gets skipped over is how stifling it can be. It is meant to ensure an intimacy of discourse and pastoral care, but in reality turns the university into 38 isolated little communities. Even when the fac makes an effort to get people together, it doesn't really work.

Don't get me wrong, it isn't shit. I just think the myth gets bandied about so much - I think before I went it would have been great to speak with some people who didn't enjoy it so much, just to have some balance before arriving.

Intimidating? Not really - for a lot of people the important thing is to be seen to be doing, rather than actually doing - if that makes sense. This makes playing 'the game' a little more intimidating because the brown-nosing factor is huge, but other than that, if you don't want to associate with people like that, it's easy not to.

p. cool - currently doing my master's in International Public Management & Policy. studied EU politics & IR while I was there. was two years ago though but I noticed the post-modernist narrative creeping into the curriculum.

is history any better?

God no. Any communication with them is better spent reading binding precedents you will never see again

Liverpool John Moores

LLB Law & CJ, going to be a third year.

>How you rate your course
Oh baby. Where do I start?

Law & CJ was sold as a course combining the best of both. In reality, it's fucking everything, and the best of both will be drowned out by shit. They teach you things you will never need to ever know again. Why did we learn research shit? I don't want to be a legal academic.

Teaching is patchy. Some lecturers can actually teach, others read off of powerpoint slides in a quiet voice while they're audibly cucked by retards at the back of the hall talking about how much they drink and smoke and suck dicks on the weekends. It's kind of sad to see them not be able to get a word in.

Personal tutors are a godsend, or at least mine is. The rest of the staff are literally appropriated legal research staff who are bad at teaching. Most of the personal tutors are practitioners who seem to be really good at teaching when they're actually in a lecture.

Additionally, it's kind of goofy having to do the EU law exam after the referendum. I understand why, but it's still goofy. It's also very goofy having to do an entire module on it, and another module on legal research, despite something like only 1% of the students on the course actually have an interest in either. I sat in magistrates' for half a year, almost every day, because I found it interesting - I didn't see a single application of EU law, or a mention of leprechaun shit legal research. And why would I? They don't care, nobody cares, nobody brings them up.

>how would you make things better?
Demolish it. Build a new university. Get rid of most of the researchers and academics who obviously hate teaching and would prefer to masturbate in their offices over statistics.

Alternatively, rebrand the law degrees as "the study of law" rather than an LLB, so people know to go somewhere else. I learned more about practice and the criminal law in my spare time than I did in university.

I mean, I get it, it's just an undergraduate degree, I'm sure they're all mediocre for going into practice later, but I'm sure there are universities where most of the staff are motivated and actually know how to teach, as opposed to zombies and research monkeys.

Majoring in History, still trying to decide on a double major. Any ideas?

And don't even get me started on the students. They're all retards.

Plagiarism and cheating is rampant. I didn't even have to search for a coursework question to find it curiously pop up at the top of Google with reworded client names.

It's literally the same as high school, where there were copying cliques a la
>hey if you let me copy you, I'll suck your dick
between groups of girls, and groups of Asians.

Speaking of Asians, I'm getting real tired of other brown people getting all friendly and asking for a copy of my work. Why is it always Saudis?

tldr; fuck LJMU, I should have went to anywhere else. Picking this place on a whim was a terrible idea.

>apparently a keynsian school
>austrian economics
>dialectical

Durham all up in this bitch. MA in Classics.

The course is pretty good, I can't really complain. My main issues are similar to The college system just makes it feel like the university is more similar to a series of mini-universities sharing facilities rather than one big university.

At the moment I'm bored as fuck, almost everyone has left and I'll be following them as soon as I submit my dissertation.

Lad that bill bryson library looks depressing as fuck

anyone at cambridge?

In a community college, majoring in Game Development. Hoping to learn enough to make big bucks from a retarded Indie Game or to find a job at some well-known firm.

I've been in worse

>In a community college, majoring in Game Development.

HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHA..

HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAAHHA

Fucking plebeian get off my board

Kansai Gaidai, Osaka, Japan (exchange)

History

Classes haven't started yet but the one of SE Asia says that imperial Japan gave SE Asia the opportunity to miberate themselves so...

Starting my Master's in History at Central European University, Budapest

>get summa dat sweet sweet Soros money

bumpo

taking international economics at UBC

>Sports
Nah man.

WVU fag here. Currently sitting in my history class waiting for my teacher to arrive.

Second year here, studying history. Switched last year from Electrical Engineering. Hoping to get into law school after my undergraduate. Most of my professors so far have been fine as far as I'm concerned, but I don't really have a great frame of reference for good and bad professors.

if your uni isn't in the world top 200, lmao desu

Rangers here.

Graduated from university a couple of years ago though, still living in Glasgow though.

bump, any history undergrads here?

Private university in Minnesota. Its really small, like 3000 people but the admission standards arent very high.

Studying Anthropology with a focus in Aztec archaeology.

Umass Amherst
Economics
Everyone is nice and there's a lot of extra curriculum help, I'm just a huge retard.

>History

I'm loving it. One of the best unis to study Latin American history. My summer class about the Indians of Colonial Mexico is interesting and personal to me.

Forgot my image.

17 year old britposter here, gonna probably apply to uni in the coming 4 months.

The problem is that I don't have much a clue of what to do and where to do it, loads are telling me to study what I love, others are telling me get a degree that gets a job.

Any opinions on who I should listen to?

>tfw unironic high schooler
hi grandad

you can do both la
the most employable non-vocational degrees are probably history, english, and any science that doesn't automatically qualify you for a job

it helps to go to a good uni obv, if you don't think you have a chance of getting into any of the really top ones look at the other ancients like aberdeen, glasgow, and some of the better newer ones like southampton, sheffield, queen's, kent etc

Hopefully you love engineering.

Do what you like. I think you'll be much more happier with your life as a student. If your interest is in demand in the jobplace, win win.

Anyone else know what the job market is like for someone doing an International Politics and Conflict Studies course?

>loads are telling me to study what I love, others are telling me get a degree that gets a job.
Doing something you have absolutely no interest in won't make you happy. Keep in mind that you will spend most of your days with the subject you are studying.

Very decent if you live in a capital city and are prepared to whore yourself out for a while FOR FREE.

No point picking something you like that has zero employement prospects though.
I see many unhappy people that realize they chose an over saturated or gimmicky field that leaves them unemployed or scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Odds are you can find someone in your broad area of interest that is also not complete shit, if you don't go for the first "muh dream" shit that crops up.

>tfw live in Belfast

Well, guess I'm moving unless I can become a 'community worker.'

join the uda desu
are you at Queen's or Ulster?

any other Emoryfags in here? flood warning my ass

Belfast is probably one of the better places for it considering its the capital of NI and has a very complex political system.

Do some work with a party and it'll lead to employment opportunities. If you volunteer for a political party, you'll get chances for internships and eventually jobs if you stick with it. Do you support a party in particular?

This is the website for political jobs in the UK. w4mp.org/

Queens.

Mate Sinn Fein is the truly easy ride at the moment. Being an MLA for one of the large parties in a safe seat is the dream.

Cheers for the advice and the website. I'm probably closest to the People Before Profit Trotskyists because of how fucked our political system is and they genuinely seem like they are good people who aren't careerists. I have worked with the DUP as well and they are complete careerists.

DO HISTORY KED AT OXBRIDGE

So yanks explain this to me. In the US theres fucking thousands of Universities, so how do you decide which one to apply to? Theres also "Colleges" like Pomona and Boston. What are they and how do they differ? Why would you apply to those over another?

Why'd you work with the DUP?

Work experience. I wanted to put myself around people I wouldn't have agreed with on a lot of issues. I emailed the five largest parties and they were by far the quickest to get back and were pleasant about me going with them.

Not the guy you were replying to, but when I was 17 I did work experience with my local (Labour) MP, pretty decent.

Yeah, it's actually quite interesting to shadow a political party as they do what political parties do.

It also shows you how weird politicians are and how incompetent they are without an aide telling them where to go and what to say.

literally the thick of it / yes minister

I am the guy you were replying to and in the Miliband years I was pretty active in the party. Top kek, I can't be bothered anymore.

Going to start translation at Mcgill next week. Feels good man

I know that's an old pic but
>No Yuri Bezmenov

They're the same thing, basically.

Who else /pussied out of History/ here?
I decided to go for a Law degree instead and it makes me want to swallow all the pills desu

>pic related

>Bioengineering

It's bretty good. Nice amount of hands on experience. Get to specialize fairly early. Department isn't a complete shit fest. Not exactly Veeky Forums, but meh.

>Forgot the darn pic

Find something you're interested in enough to want to do it for the rest of your life. Don't choose a subject just because other people recommend it for work, pick a subject you'd enjoy working in.

Also, enjoy your ban.

>going to university
>for a piece of paper
>when higher level courses are available online for free
>ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

You guys know it's not what you know it's who you know? Going to uni will, in most cases, not mean getting a job in your chosen course, as you simply don't know any links into the field.

Uni is a plague on this world.
>doctors
>shit pay unless private
>one of highest medical course costs
>'best' profession in the world
>shortage of doctors worldwide
Makessense.jpeg

Université Lyon II
Anthropology and Political sciences
Highly politicized university in the context of a long term social movement against our neo-liberal government and the presidential elections in 2017.
I expect several weeks of blocus and some fights with riot police.
I love this

>you can learn all by yourself reading Free stuff online
Kys please

Was debating between the two and picked History, and im fucking loving it, get to pick papers on any era I want, loving it man

We have fifty thousand students so I know I can't be the only one on Veeky Forums that goes here

BUcks New Uni.

Criminal Justice.

Really shit, just a meme course. Shared with the Society and Health department so we have to do their shitty sociology modules. It's enough to get me into civil service, just wish I could have been engaged more academically.

For any a-levels/college fags, genuinely think long and hard about the degree you want. Don't rush into one because everyone else is doing it.

>mit is not worthwhile
>you cannot learn on your own without a teacher spoonfeeding you
xD

Nah mate, kill yourself.

>Artificial is probably the right word. Because under all the lovely buildings, as an institution it hasn't struck me as having any genuine greater attachment to scholarship than anywhere else I've experienced.

You pretty much fell for the Oxford meme. The only university that competes with the US is LSE (in economics). None of the others come close. Imperial and Cambridge are great, but none of them can really compete.

Oxford is on the way out, it just can't compete with London and the rest of the world.

I completely agree, but you don't need to compete with the US to have a great career or get something out of going there. In the UK, if you've got an Oxford degree, in anything, you're set up for life.

going to uni is still the best way to get a good job even though it does not guarantee it, some jobs have a "bachelors barrier" where you cant get the job without having a bachelors degree in anything

>"bachelors barrier" where you cant get the job without having a bachelors degree in anything

Yes I know. (TESOL teacher) but this doesn't matter. I've taught in Japan without a bachelor's degree as I was lucky enough to find a company which was willing to look past that and hire me anyway as they were impressed with my lessons.

You can always find someone willing to look past these barriers, if you look long and hard enough, and can prove you are worth the risk.

>going to uni is still the best way to get a good job
This is so subjective in this day and age it's got literally no point. People have and always will find being a garbage man to be a good profession.

Going here in a month to do computer science. Seems good so far, beautiful town and the people on the open day weren't complete sperglords like they were at every since RG one I attended.

However, my highest grade was in history, and I love history. The trouble is I love computer science too.

I am reconsidering altogether, I may switch to history or resit a few of my maths modules and try to go for Oxford since they're AAA, and I have A*BB.

> (OP)
>That feel when you realise you're not the only GU student on Veeky Forums

LSE is a shit-fest.

Red pill me on doing a History degree Veeky Forums - is it a meme?

Cal Poly Pamona.
Mechanical Engineering

3.5/5, with the conversion to semester system it will sink, but not gonna be around for that. B)

Colleges are one "school" that only gives out undergraduate degrees. Universities contain multiple schools, such as a law school, medical school, etc. Boston College is actually a university that was originally just a college but expanded. It kept the name to differentiate itself from Boston University (a terrible school with a shit hockey team)

University of Oklahoma
Anthropology

Program is enjoyable, lots of focus on Native cultures obviously, but also in full lock step with diversity shit.

Do it if you enjoy it, can get a high gpa in it and want to go to law school anyway. Go into as little debt as possible, you'll need to be able to take out law school loans. Same can be said for poli-sci. History departments seem to be far to the left of poli-sci departments (which are still left of center)

Is there something interesting about your unis?
>First uni to have a nuclear reactor built for it.
>Oldest aeronautical programme.