/egg/ - Engineering Games General - Formerly /svgg/

Catastrophic Edition
Previous jej: The thread is dedicated to all games about building machines and systems out of blocks, in space or otherwise. Also, all these games are ded. Only ded games may join, otherwise they must have their own thread.

WebM for retards:
>gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter.git

List of currently known and vaguely not as dead /egg/ games (this list is not fully inclusive and if you think a game might belong here, feel free to ask):
>Space Engineers
>StarMade
>Avorion
>From the Depths
>Factorio
>REM
>Robocraft
>Machinecraft
>Homebrew - Vehicle Sandbox
>Besiege
>Infinifactory
>Scrap Mechanic
>Robot Arena 2
>KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People
>Algodoo
>Empyrion - Galactic Survival

Information about these games, such as where to get them if they're not on steam, trailers, /egg/ conquered/hosted servers, and other shit can be found in this pad:
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggames

OP pad for future /ded/s
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggop

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MCBYpv8MmtY
gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/1079/how-do-you-prevent-inflation-in-a-virtual-economy
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

engineering

happy 4th of july

4th for beans

Boy, did I love the presequel. People say that it's "not fun" and "not a Borderlands game" but I loved the shit out of it. Really enjoyed the change in atmosphere from Space Western to Space Western In Space.

I certainly thought it was enjoyable, even if it was pretty short compared to 2
I'll be disappointed if when they fuck up 3

Lasers were one of my favorite things about the game, as well as Helios station in general.

Have you tried the Claptastic Voyage DLC? IMO it was one of of the better ones; if not on the level of Dragon Keep, then at least somewhere around there.

oh god how the fuck do you AI control a submarine? The AI is retarded I want it to have rudder control only!

When the AI has control of the hydrofoils and upwards propellers the fucking sub doesn't work anymore.

Pic unrelated I have no idea what this is.

Engineering bug fixes.

Unity is being really odd today. This time, one of the guns stops firing, and the remaining gun fires, but its model CLANGS regardless of physical properties every time it fires. But only outside of the editor.

FUCKING UNITY REEEEEEEEEE

should of have upgraded the unity engine faggot

>unity

might as well just program carving in a fucking rock

I have, Eclipse/EOS is probably one of the most fun fights in the game

We're unifying the physics next update. We're just trying to get this shit to work and out the door before we work on it.

>we are trying to fix everything before updating the engine
>so uh yeah, updating the engine invalidated our fixes and there are several new bugs

>updating
No idea what you're referring to here, we're adding in a totally custom physics system. Our version is indeed up to date. These are also totally new bugs, which probably occurred when we increased the weld strength on the guns to keep them from snapping off so easily.

>how the fuck do you AI control a submarine?
Fine-tuned naval AI card with reverse disabled, PID'd air pumps and optional ACB'd hydrofoils?

Thanks but won't the AI just take control of the ACB hydrofoils?

Right now the sub uses PID hydrofoil depth control (dry interior is comfier) and ACB propellers for roll stability. The AI overrides both of those systems when turned on and the sub goes into a derp spiral

>Thanks but won't the AI just take control of the ACB hydrofoils?
No. AI's not smart enough to actually control the whole sub.
Make sure you're not using AI-PID. AI is supposed to take control of the propellers, whether it's for main propulsion or maneuvering. You might want to replace rudder with a set of propellers so the sub won't roll on turning, screwing up the hydrofoil depth control.

New bote for a new juj.
Loosely based on the Type 45.
Compliment of 1 175mm gun, 20 8 block laser guided missiles, 1 twin 6 barreled 20mm defensive gun.

>mfw just had a grilled sandwiched for dinner

I need to clean off my mini grill press thing so I can make them in my room like everything else.

>tfw cheese is expensive where I live
Feels bad man. I mean cheese, not some starch filled plastic poison.

just engineer your own cheese

>raise some sheep
>steal their milk and leave it outside for a few days
>run what's left through a cloth net and save the chunks
>mush all the chunks together and leave it in a cave somewhere
>find some mold and sprinkle on top of chunky milk
>wait for a few months
>sell the end product for millions

How the fuck did people even invent cheese

You can say that about 90% of the shit they had back then, including alcohol.

> Fat wizard sitting in his dungeon
> Notices some old milk has turned yellow and solid
> Decides to eat it

Cheese happens when milk goes bad and it starts to acidify causing it to split the curds and whey. You can heat up milk that's gone bad and notice the fat separate naturally instead of adding lemon juice if you wanted to make cheese at home using fresh milk.

How does it not make us sick if its gone bad

BioCLANG

you clearly have not had unpasteurized cheese

I dont think you should be asking "How did they invent cheese" so much as you should be asking "How did they invent surströmming, and why in the holy fuck did they keep making it after the first time because they obviously fucked it up and just kept fucking it up for over 100 years."

That's far easier to guess if you know that it's a nordic thing

Most foods were invented out of the need for preservation. Cooking, smoking, salting, brining, fermenting, pickling, candying, and so on. Beer was used to preserve grain; up until the last few centuries, the alcohol content in said beer was very low, making it totally reasonable for children to drink.

3edgy blackbote got another upgrade. Wondering if cavitation shells work well now

Looks pretty cool. Does that design work in ftd though? Sometimes when I add props too far below the com it actually lowers the speed.

Possibly "we ran out of fresh food, what about this that's been laying around?"

When your ship is underwater and there is a hull breach, does the interior fill up with water damaging the components?

No user, Nick couldn't do that. Far too complex.

Holed compartments do fill with water but components don't get damaged by it.
I just noticed water is getting in through the turret holes. I'm guessing there is no way to stop that?

Not a chance, my dude. You get water logged citadels.

Barbettes, mate

Rennet was originally extracted from the stomachs of calves - these days the majority is produced by means of genetically modified microorganisms.
If one were to use a calf's stomach as an improvised bag, one would find that the milk contained within would curdle and harden over time.
Eventually, one adventurous (or desperate, it's all the same when you're hungry) soul must've sampled the bag's contents.

Also poses a possible route of discovery.
>You can heat up milk that's gone bad and notice the fat separate naturally
Mind you, it's not just fat that separates out, but also a significant amount of proteins.
Ricotta is made by carefully heating the whey of goat cheese, and gathering whatever precipitates.

>/egg/
>cheese engineering general

>implying surströmning is a nordic thing
I'm a Dane, and to my knowledge, surströmning is exclusively Swedish.
Where I'm from, herring is pickled (but never fermented), often served in a curry or tomato sauce.

Fuck you guys, now im hungry.

Factorio server where/when

One theory I've heard is someone was carrying milk in a stomach on a hot day and it curdled.

Most of that sort of thing is discovered by accident or through desperation.

really makes you think I love cellular automata and I can't adequately explain why

>filename
/egg/ - YLYL games general

Light blocks, the clear ones that can let things pass through them, are actually airtight. You can use those to plug the holes

Wrong Indian, m8

Holy shit 900 hours in FtD and I never realized this

I didn't expect it to work either, I was just looking for a way to keep my turret room from filling with water after being pushed beneath the water by a big WF bote-thing

Honestly if your barbettes getting flooded causes problems for your ships you're either doing something wrong or very, very right.

Am I brutal enough yet?

just end it

No, check these quads

When your friend is a madman

It... worked.

When I lived in Canada for a spell, I had a local bar/microbrewery with a kitchen. The staff and I got along really well, so I ended up having the privilege of being to able to order whatever I wanted. As long as the kitchen had the ingredients, they'd make it. I ordered breakfast at noon, despite them not having a breakfast menu. Cooks and chef would magick something up. Continental-style, Californian, whatever.

One day, I ordered a grilled cheese. Not on the menu, because it was all "sweet potato fries", and "steak with arugula salad" and shit like that. No boring-ass grilled cheese here. So when I ordered, one of the younger cooks blinked at me and said "aight, lemme try this", and came back with two slices of sour-dough and some melted cheese he had heated up in a pan. It was more dry than my ex after I told her she needs to stop being such a cunt. So, there I was, with his chef sitting across from me on the patio, shooting the shit, and we look at this sad, cardboard-like abomination of a bread and scratch our collective heads.

"Shawn, come over here. What is this?"

Turns out, he had never made a Grilled Cheese before, and he had no clue what the essentials were. So, chef and I went into the kitchen (as in, I stood at the doorstep, because rules) and trained Shawn how to grill a cheese. The butter, my friend. Add some of that back bacon. Yeah, now some spices.

After that, Shawn was able to magick one of the sickest loaded Grilled Cheese I had had in my life. Good times.

>big discussion on crossout forums about ways to make the market not shit
>several players are extremely well educated in the area, or have tons of experience working with markets in MMO games
>discussing that no matter what, "Gold Coins" the real money currency in the game will always slowly vanish into the void
>people mentioning that prices will skyrocket once the game goes open F2P, and that only whales will be able to buy the best items on the market and nobody else
>market will literally become the Pay2win option in the game
>community manager just comes in and starts responding with image macros

>russians using ) instead of :)
This pisses me off something fierce, and I have no idea why. I also don't understand why they insist on doing that - they're using english text, use english emotes FFS. It's not like Cyrillic doesn't have the ' : ' or anything, they're just being lazy cunts.

>youtube.com/watch?v=MCBYpv8MmtY
>comfbump

>muffled Stayin Alive in the distance

Wait is that CGoL implemented in CGoL? Holy shit

>real money currency in the game will always slowly vanish into the void
yes, money sinks:
gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/1079/how-do-you-prevent-inflation-in-a-virtual-economy

How do you like the new mini gunboat? At 347 blocks it hasn't got much endurance but there's enough firepower to teach smaller shielded enemies a lesson.

page 10 ded

spaghetti?

trying to git gud in factorio is like a self-taught crash course in Lean production

Water skins were made from stomachs of animals, they usually have leftover enzymes there that curdle milk. Probably some dude carried milk in it, it curled and made some sort of ricotta, then he replicated, the milk entered in contact with local bacteria and yeast and ta daa. The funy thing is it's an almost direct historical line to those people, kombucha, shoyu etc all use the same strain for years.

A new day, a new thread, an old request. Pic related is my rev 3 attempt at making what I call a Pocket Omnifactory. Basically the idea is: you pop this down in the corner of where you want to start making your big, final base and then just go to town with the construction bots while this keeps them fed.

What I need is for this to get a final spaghetti pass to trim it down to a square footprint and de-tangle all the belts. I'm working on a rev 4, 48x48 build, but I'm reaching the blurry-eyes/throbbing headache stage so I'm going to ask for help and go to bed.

Some questions that came up last time:

>OMG its so heug! Why are you building that? Why are you making all that random crap when you can craft it by hand?

...You're new to Factorio aren't you?

>Why aren't you making X with it?

Blue chips are only used in one building: the rocket silo. That should be made by the main base, not this thing. By the time you can plop this down as a blueprint, steam power is obsolete and you likely have your research block completed already, so I didn't bother adding any of that. I'm planning on making a second block that focuses on engine units and everything that uses them: trains and flamethrower turrets specifically. It promises to be much smaller and simpler so I likely won't need help with that.

>pooland is the only place where they are making thorium nuclear plants

>have to write some papers about lithium batteries and lithium air batteries
>come across a comically huge number of misinformation articles that clearly are paid by petrochem companies
>serious articles calling lithium mining an abusive and dirty (envriomental wise practice) with pic related as a lithium "mine"
>go to /pol/ to see how the retards are near elections
>see a huge thread saying lithium is dirty, batteries are a leftist/green propaganda bullshit
>same fucking pics
>remember seeing the same OP post in other boards
I never REALLY took lobbying and merchandising seriously but now I know. And the worst part is that these companies can't possible break unless they screw up hard and this is just an attempt to stop them from moving up their asses and adapt to a changing market.

Pic related is a lithium ""mine"". Lithium is extracted from brine.
>inb4 it isn't engineering
It is.

>batteries are a leftist
Sometimes people are so retarded I fear it may be contagious. And it probably is.

I've seen threads like that before, before the election.
And I don't just mean about lithium, there were plenty of threads shilled to death by oilfags.
Though honestly, how much of a future does lithium have as component of energy storage?

Genuinely curious, always heard shit about how a lot of problems with future power sources relate to problems with the logistics of energy.
Then again those might've been shills.

>Though honestly, how much of a future does lithium have as component of energy storage?
As much as any other component before it, that is - until a better one is found.

So nothing that's a magical energy storage meme has even been found yet?

wew, sounds like it's got a good long life still.

>when you chaos and belt cluttered and you fix it with sorting

my eyes the spaghetti
my eyes

Well most cellphones batteries are lithium. Tesla is going to make lithium xboxhueg batteries. And lithium air batteries promise to have a energy density similar to gasoline. The problem with lithium it's that it's not so common and most places where it's found either have political, ecological or both problems that hamper extraction. (Bolivia's government wants a 60% cut of everything extracted there so nobody tries, that leaves the atacama desert overworked etc)
Gasoline :^). Or Lithium air batteries.

This should make you feel better user. Old version, they flipped the water/petroleum gas on the sulfur production and changed the way inserters behave on belts parallel to themselves, like the one on the filter inserter production. Fixable with a bit of thought, but don't make this as shown.

>Bolivia's government wants a 60% cut of everything extracted there so nobody tries
What

Also here in brasil lithium extraction and commerce is controlled by the Nacional Nuclear Energy Comitee which is corrupt as fuck, full of oldschool navy & army useless fucks and of the responsible for the """"ongoing"""' construction on Angra lll that is taking almost 30 (thirty) years to be finished.
>le bolivarism
I'm not a big fan of letting foreign companies simply come here, earn piles of dosh and leave but there is a line between stopping that and going full retard.

Why doesn't their government extract and sell it?

Infrastructure is shit, muh bolivarism, bolivia produces buttload of oil and has a statal company so they probably don't want to "compete" with lithium (as if that was possible). And the most important of all greentext
>south american governments
>doing anything
Did you miss the part where there is a nuclear power plant that "is being constructed" for 30 years in Rio?

fuck, I expected it to say "fuck you" or "reply to this post or else..."

GoodAI will take over soon

Don't forget Bolivia once allowed privatization of all sources water, including rain

This is /egg/, why would something like that happen here.
Maybe, "Reply to this post with PRAISE CLANG or you will loose inspiration and be cursed with spaghetti.", but not something like "lol mother die /x/ddd".

>once allowed privatization of all sources water
Absolute madme-
>including rain

Engineering for your soul

Remind me to nuke Bolivia on general principal the next time I play Hearts of Iron 4.

Do nukes still do nothing in that game?
Remember hearing that.

>edgy
>playing HOI4
>never been to south america
Remind me to nuke your face next time I go there to fuck your mom.