What's the biggest blunder of the 20th century?

What's the biggest blunder of the 20th century?

WW2

The 20th Century itself

Balfour declaration

The world wars were ultimately an inevitable consequence of the power settling in the wake of industrialization.

Creating Israel by force created a fucking mess and we should 've known better. It was a genuine goof.

Not dismantling and Balkanizing Germany after WW1.
Versailles is memed to be a Carthaginian peace, but it's nowhere near as bad as Trianon or Saint Germain.
They should have gone all out.
Returned Germany to it's previous state.

Sykes-Picot

What would have stopped the Balkanized German states from uniting again eventually? Afaik Germans weren't like the actual Balkans where they all just fucking hate each other

The EU

Existence of Czechoslovakia

electing the neoliberals Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher.

50+ years of the most explosive growth in history (all directed at the middle class) flushed right down the toilet just so we could return to the gilded age under the guise of neoliberal pseudoscience

Why? No wars happened between European nations, it promoted free trade and a united block against Russia. The biggest misstep of monetary union can be undone and wasn't forced on all nations. There were far bigger catastrophes in the 20th century.

I see it as a parasite on those trends, something that both co-opted and stagnated the development of member countries. It obscured the real opportunity for normalising Russia back into Europe along with other post-communist states. That's a problem with a lot of progressive constructs, by anticipating developments they dissipaite them and more pointed personal political and corporate interests come to dominate.

Ireland electing Michael D Higgins instead of Martin McGuinness

To carry on, I know there are huge swathes of good EU law. Europe has been the best place to be born in the later century and the EU didn't stop it being so. I also recognise the potential real and possible in the idea of shared interests and identity on the continent, but the process was formed badly at it's foundation and rushed to term. It's fatally set, ugly in its need for reform and out of time to change. At every turn in which it could have taken a better shape or been lit with a spark of democratic will it has resisted and dampened those impulses in favour of the elite, opaque and incompetent cast it was set in from the start. Missteps can be accidental or inevitable, in the case of the EU it has all the attributes of a human tragedy.

The Balkan peoples didn't hate each other before unification. The hatred was caused by internal rivalries, and really cemented by WW2.

Enteral Anglo strikes again

I hope England becomes part of the great Islamic caliphate as punishment, although I'm sure your women would consider it a reward

Inbred islandfuckers

>The Balkan peoples didn't hate each other before unification. The hatred was caused by internal rivalries, and really cemented by WW2.
What? Are you just talking about Yugoslavia or what?

Germanikus Problematikus

Decolonisation and acceptance of mass migration once the now "free" ex-colonies inevitably became shitholesupon falling at the hands of the natives

>What would have stopped the Balkanized German states from uniting again eventually?

Militarily enforcing the division
Both the German military and economy had collapsed
France and Britain could easily have kept the Germans under their boot
Instead they chose not to give a fuck and let them rearm without reacting

Churchill

USA and Western Europe leaving Eastern Europe under Russian rule.

>No wars happened between European nations
I hate this meme

What did you expect them to do? The areas were already under Russian military control.

Yeah I guess NATO did fuck all right?

North Korea is worth a mention. Should of been ended after the collapse of the Soviet Union put them on the brink. The 90's saw famine and an increased military under Kim Jong-il.

Dissolution of the Soviet Union

This is a shitty opinion to have,even if you're a commie

Yes. Balkanization is a term applied to Yugoslavia.
The Serbo Bulgarian rivalry existed before, but it was just that, rivalry, not some deep seeded hatred.
Even now, there is very little bad blood between Serbs and Bulgarians. Compare that to Croats and Serbs. Just look up news from these two countries during elections. Or just look at their news any april and august.

You sound triggered. There were no European wars regardless of other factors that played into it. This is a thread for the biggest blunders of the 20th century, the EU caused no internal wars so how can be it on par with all the wars that did happen? The EU was moderately successful in many areas so to say it usurps the world wars, interference in the middle east and totalitarian dictatorships as the biggest mistake of the 20th century is nonsense.

Then why couldn't the colonies be managed better. That too can be considered another blunder but probably not count since it also was a later 19th century issue.

wtf I hate EU now!

You implied that the EU was why there was no wars, which isn't even true.

>Gets his shit called out
>Haha you must be very triggered my friend

Consumerisation of the internet, ultimately culminating in this thread.

The EU did not cause a war therefore it can't be the worst thing that happened in the 20th century, that's what I was implying Nigel. But as it goes closer trade ties = less chance of war so it was probably one of several contributing factors. If somebody argued that one of the reasons preventing the US and China going to war over the south china sea is because of their economies being so closely tied nobody would call that an outrageous argument.

You mean establishment of the Soviet Union

You're still wrong. Croats and Serbs weren't some kind of buddies before Yugoslavia.

Cuts both ways, friend. It'd be hard to argue that close trade ties weren't a huge factor in the Russian Invasion of Ukraine.

As a joke the Titanic. Seriously, maybe Vietnam.

Probably the German invasion of Belgium.

Literally every bad thing that happened in history afterwards was at least partly a result of that happening.

From an American perspective but...

18th century: Mexico getting invaded repeatedly in the exact same fucking way, by being invaded at Veracruz and moving inland to Mexico City. Spaniard, Americans, and French, wtf. Wouldn't they build a fortress along that route or something, god damn.
19th Century: Assassinating president Lincoln. That fucked everything up in ways no one can imagine. Russia selling Alaska to US was a bad idea too since it turned out to be full of gold. Good for US, but bad for Russians.
20th Century: Bay of Pigs invasion almost caused nuclear apocalypse and was a retarded idea to begin with. I'll go with that one.

No matter how inbred, degenerate, and evil they might be, at least they aren't muslim.

>muh CIA

Dunno but Europe is the blunder of the XXI century by far, I sincerily doubt another region of the world will embarrass itself at the level Euros did in 16 years.

No, but they were far from killing each other every 50 years.

>19th Century China
No one can possibly embarrass themselves the way they did.

I meant in what's left of the XXI century not all history

Everything in this thread is nothing compared to the fall of the Soviet union.

>this much loathing for democracy

Whoops meant: see

Your mum meeting your dad

imagine the constellations in the night sky you could see there tho

Britain intervening in WWI

>communism
>20th century

are you retarded?

Black Lives Matter movement.

>Communism was invented in the 20th century
are you retarded?

Operation Barbarossa

it should be a given that we wont include the actions of the eternal anglo

What the hell kind of question is that? Why is it so long winded?

who said anything about inventing idiot? if i told someone to kill ur dad 3 years ago and today he killed ur dad would you dread this day or 3 years ago?

Honretly the middle east is more fucked up because of how lines were drawn after ww1.

It is like you dont understand how anything works.

>killing your dad is an ideology

Pretty much all referendums have a long-ass question, dummy.

Creation of Israel and Pakistan

just letting you know, I told someone to kill you yesterday.

yes, but the questions are at least somewhat comprehensible

If North Korea collapsed right now, how would we re-integrate that country and people into the modern world?

I mean 60 years is a long time.

>marxists can't understand simple metaphors

The thing most south koreans dread is actually reunification, since they're going to have to fuck up their economy to help their retarded northerners

>implying I'm Marxist

Wouldn't it be better for everyone if China just took them in?

Personal automobiles and mass immigration

I've only ever seen the UK ref one which was quite simple.

>What's the biggest blunder of the 20th century?

>Im not a marxist!

>Im a post-Leninist anarcho-gender queer Maoist!

Confirmed for commie fuckface.

>they conserve energy at night better than anyone else on earth.
>must be bad people

Leninism and Maoism are variants of Marxism, retard.

Whether you like it or not, communism is a 19th century ideology.

> electing the neoliberals Ronald Reagan

The blame for Reagan and the rise of the NeoCons can be laid squarely at the feet of the Democrats, who had abandoned their working class base (other then as a source of taxes…) and threw their support behind minorities and fringe elements, literally driving Average Americans into the arms of the Republicans.

OP's mom getting off the pill.

Trying too hard.