Twincharging diesel

Has anybody on Veeky Forums ever twincharged a diesel engine? How did you go about it? Does it hold any real benefits for a 4x4 or offroad vehicle?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NGEyljYX-tA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

My name is Gale Banks and I've been twin charging diesel engines for years. Everything from drag builds to speed boats.

>Has anybody on Veeky Forums ever twincharged a diesel engine?
You think these clowns can afford to twin charge when they're behind on their Miata payments?

>Does it hold any real benefits for a 4x4 or offroad vehicle?

No, stock turbo is fine

It does if they're big enough.

You're gonna need hella fuel pump, hella injectors, some kind of ECM mod/additional hardware, FAT turbos. A lot of money.

If you can't disassemble and reassemble your own engine I wouldn't fuck with it.

Not after a drag car. Looking to see what advantages a twincharger would have for offroad performance.

So their only advantage is in large trucks such as semi's? Do they help or hinder light trucks?

Well help.

If you wanna haul ass my man, just take it to a tuner and get a bigger turbo, performance exhaust, injectors, crank the pump up or get a more powerful one. Trust me, you're not gonna wanna have more power than that.

I've been in a hillbilly'd F-350 that was fucking terrifying and it had only been given those things, hauled ass and tried to rip its own tires apart. A fast diesel is an oddity to say the least in the US

Not much. You'd be better off just going high compression and gearing it to work right.

I'd figure off roading, you'd want something reliable and simple, that's difficult to break and easy to fix. Something like an old NA IDI would be ideal for that situation. Completely gutless, but with steep enough gearing, it'll go pretty much anywhere.

Twin charging just adds needless complexity for not much power gain. In 99.9% of situations, it's simpler, more cost effective and more reliable to change the transmission/gearing/tire size to get the power where you want it at the desired speed than it is to boost the everloving hell out of the motor.

>You'd be better off just going high compression and gearing it to work right.
You do know diesels are already high compression right?

I see
Thanks man
Also, not based in US

Fair enough
Thanks man

Meaning high compression by diesel standards, to achieve a decent power output without resorting to forced induction.

You mean they don't run at 10:1? Jeeze, never knew.

Oh then check the fuck out of your local laws. Here in the midwest the only thing we can really get in trouble for is the removal of emissions garbage.

What does off roading mean to you?

Single track through the jungle?
Slick rock at Moab?
Dunes jumping?
Mud bogging?
Baja or SCORE racing?
King of Hammers?

I've seen twin charged two stroke diesels at the mud bogs, they aren't even really rare.

But a Detroit 8v71t is too heavy for jumping, and too powerful for everything else that isn't a racing series with engine rules that it might violate.

>You mean they don't run at 10:1? Jeeze, never knew.
No need to thank me, citizen.

The blower on a Detroit 2 stroke doesn't add any boost or power, it just blows fresh air in. A Detroit without the turbo is considered "NA".

Do a cummins 4bt swap into your toyota and call it a day you'll have all the torx you'll need to niggas

The offroading I usually.do involves mud bogging, steep hill climbs, choppy as fuck trails and deep sand
So most times the down low power is a necessity, but power in the higher rpms is also needed

>people actually go down a dirt road in a lifted truck and think they're hard core offroaders.

>Dukes of Hazzard has countless muscle cars flying around dirt and fields like another day at the office.

Yeah im bitching about offroad fags.
Yous the type of niggas that would give yourself a trophy for giving yourself a trophy.

You're not going to get much high end out of a diesel, it's generally not how they work. Which is why most people run LS engines in things that require top end power.

Like these. inb4 euro butthurt.

youtube.com/watch?v=NGEyljYX-tA

If it's got a stock pulley.

Most of the time, that's the first mod.
Do you ever jump?
Duke's of Hazzard single handedly destroyed the market for those cars, because they used them up like they were condoms.

Off road trucks are expected to survive off roading.
>Muh cummins
4BTs are trash. Used to be they were basically free, so it didn't matter that they weren't good, because at least you weren't spending any money, but retards who were confused as to why they were modestly popular have distorted the market until this lump of an industrial engine is now somehow more expensive than dozens of options that have virtues beyond simplicity and documentation.

>Duke's of Hazzard single handedly destroyed the market for those cars, because they used them up like they were condoms.
Well they were dirt cheap and nobody wanted them in 1979.

>Off road trucks are expected to survive off roading.
I would hope they can survive an unpaved road, shit, lord knows offroad fags don't do anything more.

My damn street bike gets more "muddin" than most of these lifted trucks when i try to move it out of my yard.

I try my hardest not to jump
Jumping in these trails is a surefire way to fuck a diff

If you ever get your front wheels off the ground, I wouldn't recommend any diesel. The weight penalty is just not worth if you like to bounce.

What sort of truck you want to build?

Ahh, see, this is one of my points
Diesels are good for their low end power and torque
With that said, would the supercharger not be better for a situation where low end power is required?

Looking at getting a 1hz 70 series
Just wondering if it would be worth it to twincharge rather than turbocharge

The 1HZ doesn't like boost. Get a 1HD-FT

A supercharger should provide better low rpm response than a turbo, and supercharger installs are simpler.

A 1HZ isn't a big fan of boost, and it weighs 300 kilos without adding a turbo or supercharger setup.

I'd consider a lightweight setup with modest boost, like an Eaton M90, and screw a turbo. The turbo would be more efficient, but you're looking for the setup with the best control and response, and a supercharger driven to provide a fixed amount of boost is the cheapest, easiest way to do this. Aim for 150 wheel.

Das it mayne.

The blower on any Detroit is gear driven. Always, except for those rednecks with the 24V with six blowers. There is no 'stock pulley.' You high.

You will not make anything above 25Kpa airbox pressure with Roots blowers on a Detroit larger than a 4-53. There are oddities around with whipple and what not with very low pressure. It takes four turbochargers each moving about one hundred pounds/min each to get one Bar in the airbox in 16V149 which is target pressure for most Detroits across the board. Hard to build more when the intake ports in the liner and the exhaust ports are open tandem for more than twenty degrees.

B series are a good motor.

Not really. The connecting rod is where I would be stressing next with the 1HZ, then the blower PTO from a crankshaft that has known to have dramas with the main bearings. I would be hesitant to drive a blower from 1H crankshafts.

You already have a lot of static compression ratio with the indirect head and pistons, loading it heavily at low rpm with a blower may be too far. Why not something with a small exhaust housing that is a known performer? TD05-16G or 18G with 6cm housing, 2860R -7 .49 T3 housing if you keep it 1 Bar, that sort of size.

1HZ with a well set up turbo and pump can be building power down at 1300-1400 with it happening by 1900. The high compression 1HZ has a lot of exhaust velocity and can light up the turbocharger pretty quickly. It will never be a powerhouse but will certainly be a stump puller. You should be able to get about 100Kw at the wheel with one bar and safe operation. Depends on how flogged out the pump and injectors are though.

Keep it simple and cheap.
Use a couple of GT1549V turbos instead.