I have a Toyota yaris which I have inherited and has been a great daily driver

I have a Toyota yaris which I have inherited and has been a great daily driver.

but now I'm looking to get a new 2nd car.

Should I go for an MX5 or an 86?

Miata is shit.
86 is ugly.

The correct answer is BRZ

they're kinda similiar, both are cars made to be fun to drive.

Both have large aftermarkets but 86 is the biggest darling and it has that initiaru dee pegigreeu

Your choice really is do you want open top or not.

well I don't care for speeding or anything like that. Nor will I be hooning and think I'm a dorifto.

Would keep the cars stock

Honestly don't think I would drive around with the top down. but I do love how they look. and I love the look of the miatas with the hardtop actually.

Do they both feel fun to drive for everyday commuting?

Do 86s look 'try hard'?

Miata is fun and gets better with less grip because of a soft setup

86/BRZ is a bit more focused and the chassis has real mechanical grip that gets better with more grippy tyres.

buy the miata for sunday drives with a little bit of sideways laugh out loud stuff

buy the 86/BRZ for more thrills and late night drives pushing for that last tenth of performance

Op here. should I learn to drive manual before hand or would one of these be good to learn on?

how long should it take to learn to drive manual anywyas?

Might as well learn in a car you like, assuming you don't burn the clutch to death there's not much that'll fuck up a manual gearbox when learning on one.

Getting down everything including revmatching and heeltoeing will probably take a month or two but you will generally continue getting better at it all for years on end.

Driving with the top down is nice. Haven't tried the 86 but the new MX5 is comfortable and easy to drive, I would have liked a little stiffer suspension to make it feel more responsive.
Don't worry about this. Normal cars are easy to drive with a stick, it's when you have a 18 wheeler, off-road vehicle or a high powered car with a stupid clutch it's hard to drive stick. It should not take more than a few hours.

lmao is it possible to learn while test driving.

Im embarrassed I will look like a gay cunt having my bro come with me to test drive the car and bring it home for me.

is it possible to use the fact I can't drive manual a bargaining tool to get a lower price.

like I don't necessarily need to get the car since i can't drive it yet.....so try and give it to me cheaper to buy it?

MX-5 will make you look less homo compared to the Toyobaru.

Rent/borrow a manual car. Don't think that you can use it as a bargaining tool, they will probably just try to sell you the auto one. It's a good thing to have a friend with when you test a car, because they might notice things that you don't.

Nah, get a mate to drive the car somewhere out of the way and play around with it there instead if you've literally never driven a manual before.

It will feel weird at first but there's no point in buying either of the cars you mentioned in automatic.

If you're in the US you could maybe argue for a lower price for a manual on the grounds they're harder to sell for dealers but elsewhere I wouldn't bet on it.

v6 mustang

How can you guys limit yourselves to such a small car selection?
There are like literally 50 years worth of cars that I want to own and can still be used to drive on public roads.

Fucking faggots with your monthly payments, your slow cars, and your "identity."
Just go fast.

If I were to buy a brand new one I'd go for the MX5, but one can argue if it's not better to get a used NA/NB and spend a lot of money on it instead. I know that my NB is way more fun than the ND

The trick is to test drive both and see which one you enjoy driving more. Try to find a dealer that has both in stock so you can test drive one right after the other. For the test drive, it doesn't matter if it's manual or auto. You're just trying to figure out which one is more fun to be in or has more of what you're looking for.

Once you've figured out which one you enjoy driving more, learn enough on a manual that you'd be comfortable getting the car you choose home from the dealership, then go buy it.

>mfw what you said isn't even b8

man people on Veeky Forums are retarded

Dont worry, both look tryhard

Remember the shortnose issue with the early NA? It took nearly 10 years for it to be a known problem, while the ND already have huge issues with the gearboxes. I wonder what other mechanical weaknesses these puppies will show in a few years from now.

Uh the answer is stupidly simple.

Do you need 4 seats?
No?
The Miata is the vastly superior car in every single other way.

I have no friends....lol

don't see myself driving with the top down much though. how much do hardtop attachments cost and are they avail for the ND

I didn't really have friends when I got my FD. I didn't like my highschool friends and didn't care to keep touch.

Then I made new friends I actually liked an I often really wish I had a 3rd seat. Not 4, but for some reason it was always needing a 3rd. I wish they made 3 seat cars like the McClaren F1.

But the MX-5 is a vastly superior car. Better looking, better quality, better handling, better sound, better fucking authenticity. I'd get it plus a shitbox hatch when I started needing more seats.

>how much do hardtop attachments cost and are they avail for the ND
There's not many now. One is carbon fiber, I think the styling is meh, and it's $4500.
I'd expect some ~$1500 ones to show up over the next 1-3 years.

The MX-5 RF (the new factory power retractable hardtop) adds at least $2550 depending on options and looks sexy.

I'm glad its finally called Toyota 86. Why the dicks do we here in the USA call it the Scion FR-S?

Im also seeing a decent 2006 NC mx5 for much cheaper.

supposedly with full log books and servicing every 5k km. done 150k km

think I should go for that

Got a BRZ as a daily. Its a fukken joy to drive

The ND is a massive improvement over the NC.

If the ND is too expensive, just get something really cheap until you can buy a used ND for cheaper as well.

>implying the 86 can hold 4 people

2+2 as in 2 adults + 2 quadrupal amputees

Well I have a few options

I can get one of the last vf v8 ss commodores for $32/35 aud (depending if I go sedan or stationwagon, cheaper if I get a ute because my uncle is an ex employee

ND mx5 are around $36k+ here I think
The NC I mentioned was $12k
NBs are around $8k

Neither. Get an na miata or a mazdaspeed miata NB.

if you're gonna track it, BRZ.

if you're just gonna cruise around, MX5.

Did you mix the two up?

absolutely not. if all you do is local autox then the mazda hands down. but for higher speed circuits which you'll usually have to travel a bit for, the BRZ no question.

longer wheelbase of the BRZ is there for a reason, and you can fit your track tires and a gym bag full of fluids and brake pads in it without any problem.

BRZ you got a bit more space to work with as well for upgrades. plus you get a pretty nice big and heavy diff standard with any model, and tons of liberty to run whatever wheel and tire setup yo want, unlike the mazda.

that said, both cars are 10/10 and you couldn't go wrong with either of them. but I'd take the BRZ in an instant if I was a track guy.

Willow Springs is not a low speed circuit. Not even close.

And the MX-5 is still faster on it, so you clearly have no clue what you're talking about.

The MX-5 is both faster and the superior drivers car.

the top model MX5 costing about 7 grand more than the BRZ is, yes. about 0.8 second faster if I remember correctly, correct me if im wrong

mostly thanks to relatively sticky potenzas, where every single 86 car ever made has come with the exact same bits and funny skiddy prius tire.

>The MX-5 is both faster and the superior drivers car.

doesnt the MX5 end at 130mph again or something? again do correct me if im wrong though, I'm kinda out of the loop on the ND. but just casually driving it gave me a real good impression of it.

who the fuck compares the top-tier sudo-luxory trims on entry level sports cars

>who the fuck compares the top-tier sudo-luxory trims on entry level sports cars

its sort of relevant when its the 33-36k MX5 only that comes with a 2l engine, a limited slip differential and potenzas.

it's also the only ND to actually be put up against the 86 twins.

no luxury, just cheapskating and artificial inflation on mazdas part, bless them.

>muh top speed
fuck off, retard

he said faster

Wait for the Fiat 124 Abarth to be released. It is more powerful and better than the Miata. The only thing the two cars share is the Miata chassis. Powertrain is all Fiat Chrysler. The Multiair 1.4 turbo sounds beautiful combined with Abarth exhaust.

chrysler kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Yeah, I know the taste. I work for them. Fiat/Alfa dealership. 124 is only car I like for them.

I sell cars. If I had a guy come in who was dead set on buying the car from me, I would have no problem teaching you how to drive stick properly...after you sign up. No good salesman in their right mind would let some dumbass abuse their brand new car just because he has nothing better to do. Let the salesman drive you around in it, get a feel for it that way, then buy the damn thing.

>I sell Subaru's, both are awesome in their own right though.

>not knowing what faster means

9>its more powerful
>its better

>wait for it to be released

user please. You dont know anything about a car for real until it is released.

lap times around one specific track you've never been to set by one specific racing driver you've never even met?

no you're right, thats a much better measure than the top speed of the vehicle.

>9

>food youve never had at a restaurant youve never been to by a chef you never met

why even eat bro

no idea how that works in your head but. funny coincidence, I'm a professional chef.

you'd have to at least have tasted the food yourself no?

Is there any track that the BRZ/FR-S is actually faster on...?

Willow Springs is fairly high speed track. The MX-5 crushes the FR-S even harder on smaller ones.

I'm not really into benchracing and I like to drive tracks myself even if I make shit times, so I have no idea. I have seen more or less stock 86's do amazing shit with professional drivers. the driving school at nurburg sends the toyota 86 around nordschleiffe faster around than a porsche 996, with only a brake pad upgrade and some OK dunlops.

key point to remember here is most manufacturers like to make their cars look good on papers by putting on the nicest and grippiest rubber available. the 86 decided it wanted to go back to the 80's with RWD and awful tires that skid everywhere for the amusement of the auto enthusiast.

being an enthusiast you'd also know that tires are 90% of the cars performance.

do you really think that hot laps were done on stock tiers?
benchracing is fucking pointless anyway

also
>key point to remember here is most manufacturers like to make their cars look good on papers by putting on the nicest and grippiest rubber available. the 86 decided it wanted to go back to the 80's with RWD and awful tires that skid everywhere for the amusement of the auto enthusiast.

are you seriously accusing mazda that they wanted their car look better on paper?
fucking miata of all things?

not to mention mazda also wanted to pay homage to the older models
though they overdone it a little because i don't recall any older miatas to have so much bodyroll and i had a chance to try every generation

>do you really think that hot laps were done on stock tiers?

they are.

they are done on the tires they're delivered with. once they're done, the car is delivered back. what Veeky Forums bases their benchracing is 99% of the time set by automotive journalist and publications after having employed a washed up racing driver.

>benchracing is fucking pointless anyway

couldn't agree more.

>are you seriously accusing mazda that they wanted their car look better on paper?

dont get me wrong, the NA is second on my list of all time favorite cars, and the ND might be even better and I'll be picking one up in the future for sure. but selling a car to your average joe civilian fitted with potenzas on a 150hp car is a bit over the top. pitting said car against its rival with, no better way of putting it, prius tires, is somewhat unfair and not something you should base your opinion on.

if you're like me, and im sure you are considering you're championing the mazda, try both and you'll learn to love both.

>though they overdone it a little because i don't recall any older miatas to have so much bodyroll

also, the ''good'' 35k ND that fights the 86 on these tests also have upgraded Bilstein suspension. considerabely less roll and still pretty comfy for a DD.

the lower weight, upgraded springs, diff and stickier tires is what beats the 86 on some margins in that case.

>BRZ
arent the BRZ and the 86 the same car?

badge, front spring rates, fender garnish, specific paint schemes and front bumper design aside

yes

new frs are ugly, old ones are on par with the brz

BRZ/86 nigga

If you want to avoid being a meme don't buy the miata. Get the successor to the god machine aka the Ae86