Just a thought

Chevrolet seriously considered making a turbine powered truck. Could you imagine what things would be like if this had been made?

Other urls found in this thread:

oldcarsweekly.com/news/hobby-news/tag-team_trucking
roadandtrack.com/new-cars/news/a7284/walmart-turbine-hybrid-aero-semi/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

So did Ford

>A 600-hp turbine engine propelled Big Red and offered a 600-mile cruising range from its 280-gallon fuel capacity. At full capacity, the power plant could pull 170,000 pounds, which was a combined weight of tractor, trailers and cargo.

looks like something out of fallout

Imagine how crazy it would be if Tesla made a big rig. That's just too far fetched though, will probably never happen. You would probably need 8 90kwh packs to power it.

Its turbine generates electricity for the 4 electric motors on the rear wheels

Here's a good read to go with this thread.

oldcarsweekly.com/news/hobby-news/tag-team_trucking

>barely 2MPG
Was this supposed to be impressive at the time?

>early 60's
>600 hp
>2mpg pulling 170,000 pounds

IDK user, you tell me.

So no?

I dunno, going deaf every time one of them pulled up next to you at a light?

>>early 60's
hp
That's not impressive at all, they had engines that did nearly twice that in the 40's.
mpg pulling 170,000 pounds
I mean I guess?

how original, what a genius this telsa fucktard is

would have been a nightmare to maintain and your truck mechanic is now a jet mechanic

on the other hand, used semis would be priceless among pilot enthusiasts and people alike. Same like motorhomes are good source of big block V8s.

Walmart did it too.

roadandtrack.com/new-cars/news/a7284/walmart-turbine-hybrid-aero-semi/

thanks for this

>Walmart is turning to its truck fleet to reduce overhead
>The trailer uses single-piece 53-foot-long carbon-fiber panels

The most common engines in the '50s and '60s were in the 2-300 HP range.
>743/855 Cummins (220-335 HP)
>6-71 Detroit (238HP)
>Mack Thermodyne (
>IHC V-549 (235 HP)

600 HP was a lot for a truck engine back then. Fuel mileage sucked donkey dick, too. A bobtail IHC V200 with a 549 gets about 5MPG.

lel I forgot to add the Thermodyne's HP rating. They were right around the 200 Hp mark.

Tesla's dead you dumbass

And who said that every product ever made has to be completely original all the time? Will you bitch that the Chevy Volt is shit because it isn't original either?

its piss, its sickening

Mammonth Car?

I doubt it would be hard to come up with a decent muffler system to reduce sound output, especially by routing the exhaust up top like most trucks already do

Currently we have engines making 1,500 hp but 600hp on a truck is a lot.

Also 170,000 lbs is 70 tonnes. Trucks are limited to 44tons these days.

Turbines don't have to be complicated. The M1 Abrams runs off of a turbine powerplant, and being in the military they have some real retarded fucks working on shit like that.

Being on the road, it would'nt have to be as close-tolerance and have as many redundancies as an aircraft engine, and just like anything else if a part breaks you just replace it. It'd be more expensive for parts, absolutely, but it wouldn't be any more complicated to work on.

The "noisiest" turbines are the ones using thrust to propel the vehicle. The turboshafts can be very quiet

Turbines aren't scary

Why are they only doing this now in semi trucks when locomotives been doing this for years?

isnt this method a lot more fuel efficient?

What absolute cock-smoking retards.
>Next: GM/Ford introduce nuclear explosion propelled pickup truck concepts.

I'd bet on weight reasons. I believe the max weight of truck, trailer and load on most states is 80 thousand pounds. A heavier truck means you can't move as much cargo, so you don't make as much money

it actually is less effecient.

But you dont need a transmission.

I dont think it'd be weight. Truckerfag said that truck transmissions are just over 200lb. A 150kw generator (generator itself not the engine) is around 100lbs and then the motors for that power will be about 50lbs each wheel.

So tell me, what would things have been like?

You joke, but there were a few nuclear powered concepts from the 50s-60s
>Ford Nucleon
>Simca Fulgar
>Ford Seattle-ite XXI
and pic related >Studebaker Packard Astral

They weren't nuclear powered. They weren't powered at all. They were just design studies with the marketing shouting NUCULAR for publicity.