Blow Trough

Blow trough turbo? Worth it? Discuss.

There's so much freaking content in this thread ace job op

I've literally never heard of a blow-through turbo.

Explain

It's as the name implies, turbo pumping through a carb

What I've heard is that they're a pain in the ass to set up. The beauty of fuel injection is that a piggyback or standalone ECU allows you to change the amount of fuel going into the engine with a laptop while doing the same thing with a carburetor is much more of a hassle. A programmable fuel injection computer is definitely the way to go.

BTW: I got that same shitty chink breather filter on my catch-can lel

God no. Blow through carbs are an inefficent nightmare. Just go for an EFI conversion or a supercharger if you want carbs

Valid points, I just find it intresting.

Also, wouldn't it matter on what kind of carb it would be running through?

Yeah, apparently* some carbs don't give a fuck, but most regular carburetors will not work under boost, requiring special (expensive) carbs that are rated for boost.

yea, I heard that the webber 32/36 / Holley 5200 were good contenders.

I honestly think that most issue one would face would be tunning the mixture and the fuel pressure

Its hard, turbos require much more precise fueling over the range than carbs can provide. And EFI is much smarter and can detect issues before it goes bang. You really dont want your fuel leaning out under boost because you tuned it wrong.

>needs a special carburator
>needs a special fuel pressure regulatur
>pain in the ass to set up

EFI is the way to go.

What is that sexy beast?

Exactly. Plus, most ECUs on the market can also handle the ignition which helps massively. If anything, like I said earlier, sheer convenience is reason again not to go for a blow-through setting.

Carburetors are deprecated, so no, not worth it.

In my opinion it makes sense for drag racing, most of your tuning will be made for full throttle and full boost, plus you could make small adjustments on the track with only a screwdriver. However, if the engine has to be optimized anything other than full throttle only, efi is the way to go.

blow through?
fuck no

draw through

Fuck yeah Gemini!

Makes no sense for turbos and centi superchargers, ethanol fuel can damage some superchargers.

it makes perfect sense, especially for ethanol.

as it atomizes, it cools the charged air.

tuning is the simplest, and no specialty carburetor or fuel pump has to be fabricated.

What about intercoolers user?

You're both not incorrect, just that one of you is arguing for reliability and longevity and the other is not. Regardless, carbs on a turbo is more work than efi. The whole joy of carbs is that it's cheaper to get to a good level of fuelling on a modified engine than with efi, or it used to be.

if you need an intercooler and plan on running that much boost, do fuel injection.

needs a special sealed carb that is modified for boost (carbs meter fuel via vacuum) with solid fuel floats and a rising rate fpr. It will still be a bitch to tune for part throttle driveability and WOT enrichment. Most never run 100%
draw through has its probs too. you need a short as an intake path as possible(fuel pooling), can run no intercooler and can't run an atmospheric bov (will vent fuel vapor). If I was going carb it'd be a draw through but even a junkyard tbi system off a truck with custom software would be better.

e.g. chevy 350tbi, 9C1 injectors and a 454 throttle body.

you will never hear a holly 4 barrel with 20 pounds pushing though it at WOT

No, you need a specific type of carb or else the setup will run like shit always

Depends on application. For some to be driven on the street an EFI will save you alot of headaches. If you are just concerned with max performance at minimal cost it is. Fine. Heck it even cools the intake a bit

yea that's what I was thinking.

ULTIMA GTR TT

How would a blow through work in a motorcyle? I've heard of people runing them.

Would a small displacement be better than a large dispplacement? or would it not matter at all?

It shouldn't matter, just size the turbo do the flow and not give a shit about a wide range of performance and effiency, and in the case of a bike, living.

So underrated!